Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cops gun down legal carrying citizen

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,976 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    already seeing media dragging his name through the mud to justify the shooting... As if having a criminal record is enough justification for killing someone
    If you're talking about the Minnesota case, it was for an expired license. But yeah, Castile seemed to be a stand-up guy who was hardly a thug. He's been described as those who worked with him as Mr. Rogers with Dreads.

Here's a little aside. Mrs. 50# got stopped by two cops on the same force last year for the same violation: broken tail light. Now Mrs. 50# is not prone to overstatement except when talking about my clutter, so I take her at her word. Her description of the stop is eerily similar to what happened to Philadro Castile sans gunfire. The officer asked for her license and insurance information. She usually carries both in her purse, but she had moved her insurance card to her glove compartment and told the officer she had to go into it to retrieve the information he had asked for. As she turns toward the compartment, she sees a fellow officer on the passenger side with his hand on his holstered firearm. I don't know if it was the same exact set of cops, but that's f*ckin' nuts.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-10-2016)

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    When I've been pulled over, I keep my hands on the wheel until the officer instructs me what to do. I think that is pretty much mandatory at this point.

I read that the Minnesota guy fit the description of armed robbery suspects. That could be after the fact bull****, but I believe that is why he was pulled over and the cops were on high alert.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    If you're talking about the Minnesota case, it was for an expired license. But yeah, Castile seemed to be a stand-up guy who was hardly a thug. He's been described as those who worked with him as Mr. Rogers with Dreads.

Here's a little aside. Mrs. 50# got stopped by two cops on the same force last year for the same violation: broken tail light. Now Mrs. 50# is not prone to overstatement except when talking about my clutter, so I take her at her word. Her description of the stop is eerily similar to what happened to Philadro Castile sans gunfire. The officer asked for her license and insurance information. She usually carries both in her purse, but she had moved her insurance card to her glove compartment and told the officer she had to go into it to retrieve the information he had asked for. As she turns toward the compartment, she sees a fellow officer on the passenger side with his hand on his holstered firearm. I don't know if it was the same exact set of cops, but that's f*ckin' nuts.
    I was talking about Alton

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (07-08-2016)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,976 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    When I've been pulled over, I keep my hands on the wheel until the officer instructs me what to do. I think that is pretty much mandatory at this point.

I read that the Minnesota guy fit the description of armed robbery suspects. That could be after the fact bull****, but I believe that is why he was pulled over and the cops were on high alert.
    As do I and as did Mrs. 50#. And it appears that is what Castile was doing as well and informed the cops he was reaching for his wallet. Castile's biggest mistake seems to be the fact he announced that he had a weapon and a conceal/carry permit.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    As do I and as did Mrs. 50#. And it appears that is what Castile was doing as well and informed the cops he was reaching for his wallet. Castile's biggest mistake seems to be the fact he announced that he had a weapon and a conceal/carry permit.
    Yep, you might be right, which is a shame bc typically this actually puts officers at ease. (concealed holders don't have records) This officer seems woafully inadequate to handle the pressure of the job. You could just tell after the fact. In the La shooting, the officers tried other measures before gunfire and gave the guy several chances to obey.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,709 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphysicist View Post
    Ok, thanks for clarifying.
    You're welcome. I felt like it needed clarifying after Obama stated that these are not isolated events.
    thank you weso1!

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Few things scream "dangerous criminal" like the words "montessori school cafeteria manager."

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-10-2016)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,976 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Few things scream "dangerous criminal" like the words "montessori school cafeteria manager."
    Well, Maria Montessori was an educational rebel. It only follows.

I think one of the problems in Minnesota is that the state is extremely racially isolated. We have this reputation as the Land Where Walter Mondale is President, but we're also the state that put Michelle Bachmann in Congress. There is a ton of racial tension in the state and a lot of folks grow up no differently than I did in the 1960s in that they have little, if any, exposure to other races. It's changing in the urban core and the inner-ring suburbs (where my domicile is located), but the fast-growing outer-ring suburbs are almost completely white. Interesting that a lot of our outstate regional centers are becoming more diverse with the need for unskilled labor (especially in areas that have food processing plants). Given this dichotomy, racial tension has been rising and this incident will only add fuel to that.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 07-08-2016 at 10:18 AM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-10-2016), Julio3000 (07-08-2016)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Well, Maria Montessori was an educational rebel. It only follows.

I think one of the problems in Minnesota is that the state is extremely racially isolated. We have this reputation as the Land Where Walter Mondale is President, but we're also the state that put Michelle Bachmann in Congress. There is a ton of racial tension in the state and a lot of folks grow up no differently than I did in the 1960s in that they have little, if any, exposure to other races. It's changing in the urban core and the inner-ring suburbs (where my domicile is located), but the fast-growing outer-ring suburbs are almost completely white. Interesting that a lot of our outstate regional centers are becoming more diverse with the need for unskilled labor (especially in areas that have food processing plants). Given this dichotomy, racial tension has been rising and this incident will only add fuel to that.
    Now now Fitty, if you can't prove this "racial tension" stuff with actual statistics then you don't get to use it.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,976 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomahawk View Post
    Now now Fitty, if you can't prove this "racial tension" stuff with actual statistics then you don't get to use it.
    I think, and hope, you are kidding. I work around legislators and there's more dog-whistle rhetoric tossed about than I care to admit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,709 Posts
    I believe racial tensions are very high right now, mainly promulgated by those who seek to segregate this country into tribes.
    thank you weso1!

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    I think, and hope, you are kidding. I work around legislators and there's more dog-whistle rhetoric tossed about than I care to admit.
    Extreme sarcasm my friend. It's one of the few things I can still do well. :)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,976 Posts
    Here's a little more on the Falcon Heights shooting. Myron Orfield is cited in the article and the guy is really sharp. He's spent most of his career as an academic and one-time legislator on the subject of urban/suburban development with deep analysis as to how that has affected racial isolation. If anyone is interested, he has written several books on the subject.

Anyway, here's Minneapolis StarTribune's columnist Jon Tevlin's piece on the tragedy: http://www.startribune.com/tevlin-ro...ies/386148501/

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    Obama today said that these shootings are not isolated. That is patently false.
    It's hardly "patently" false.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,709 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    It's hardly "patently" false.
    patently false
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,709 Posts
    What's shameful is that this over the top rhetoric and fanning the flames of known falsehoods could lead to more black people being murdered if police officers become less willing to patrol certain areas the way they need to be patrolled.

I think black lives matter could be a good thing if they would concentrate on larger and more important issues facing the black community. Police shootings will eventually all but end anyway as non lethal technology continues to improve.
    thank you weso1!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

Garmel (07-10-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    What's shameful is that this over the top rhetoric and fanning the flames of known falsehoods could lead to more black people being murdered if police officers become less willing to patrol certain areas the way they need to be patrolled.

I think black lives matter could be a good thing if they would concentrate on larger and more important issues facing the black community. Police shootings will eventually all but end anyway as non lethal technology continues to improve.
    I actually sort of agree with you. BLM should focus less on everyday protests. If they do it do it at popular white malls during peek shopping times such as Black Friday. Also blacks should boycott. A full week from our black entertainers (Especially during Football season oh people will flip lol) to cashiers. All blacks stay at home and dont buy anything. Hit the US economy!!!

Ultimately I think a race war is coming.
    The Joker: Now comes the part where I relieve you, the little people, of the burden of your failed and useless lives. But, as my plastic surgeon always said: if you gotta go, go with a smile.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,764 Posts
    There isn't a race war coming.

But at some point there needs to be some accountability.
    Forever Fredi

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-10-2016), weso1 (07-10-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    From both sides. But things like this just makes me think there will be no peace until we have this war.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2705351

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    known falsehoods
    What "known falsehoods"? You're stating your own personal fictions as obvious fact here.

Systemic racism is a real phenomenon, even if you want to presume a total absence of racist intent on the part of current actors, because history is an emergent process and current events are inextricably impelled, informed, and—at least partially—governed by past events. And in this country's past, there were a lot of events that treated people of color as non- or less-than-, and those populations still experience the ramifications of that in spite of our collective and individual best and worst attempts to overcome our checkered national history.

But you don't even have to look at history: metrics of the here and now show that, whether individual actors intend prejudice, the criminal justice system in the US disadvantages people of color, specifically African-Americans. Naturally, there aren't easy answers to this problem (though there are some pretty easy first steps); but blind-eying the whole issue—or worse, condescendingly claiming bad-faith on the part of the other, as you seem to be doing in this thread—is the height of counter-productivity.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

27. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

weso1 (07-10-2016)