Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Gary Johnson

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    441 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomahawk View Post
    This sounds pretty reasonable to me, though with the current Congress and their absolute hatred/loathing for the current president I'm not sure they could even get together to talk about something like another good old war. But with that said, GJ sounds like a fairly constitutional guy, unlike most of the usual suspects the R's trot out there who have to try and act like badasses.

Who's JW by the way?

The interviewer from some libertarian website. The interview was from three months back.

The Brains not Bomb defense is stupid. Very Chamberlian-esque.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    as a lifelong peacenic I find his response sophomoric.

Of course the administration has cut off whatever funding they can and this Congress cant keep Puerto Rico from defaulting, pass a highway bill or effectively find funds to combat a deadly mosquito virus.

By the time they come to a resolution on something this serious we could all be bowing to the east 5 times a day.
    Like I was saying about 10' of water
    That word is the key, the folks who are always bitching about how much we spend on social programs are always neck deep in payola themselves, and Vlad Cheney is at or at least towards the top of the heap. If you all will watch that 8 minute interview GJ talks about cutting funding to the DoD and Maher tries to get him to commit to a percentage, which of course noone could do honestly if they aren't already president, but he said the Pentagon folks themselves said around 20% would be doable without hurting our defense, so that would be his goal. The hardcore Repubs like Vlad would NEVER allow $1 to be cut from defense spending since that's their slush fund, just like the Dems have the DoE and some union pension accounts as slush funds. I don't know for sure but I would imagine both parties have their own teats at the Fed set aside and earmarked with their names monogrammed on said teats.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Hurting the defense is the least of it.
    Our country would suffer debilitating un employment should we cut the DOD to campaign rhetoric levels
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    The interviewer from some libertarian website. The interview was from three months back.

The Brains not Bomb defense is stupid. Very Chamberlian-esque.
    Ah, OK. I haven't seen or read the thing and most of what I know about GJ was what I hear around here and the Maher interview. I would say after 8 years of W and his carpet bombing everything in sight and saying we had to fight the War on Terror as a conventional war, using the military, and now almost 8 of Obama droning everything in sight and saying we have to fight it with just intelligence and surgical strikes, can we admit that both methods work to a point, at least in the short term, but neither has eliminated the problem in the long term?

Brains do come in handy sometimes, but then it doesn't hurt to have some firepower around too. I don't know why we have to be so "either or" as a nation. I think that's one of the biggest problems with politics, both sides may have A good point about a particular thing, but that isn't good enough, they have to take it to their own little comfort zone of extreme left or extreme right. Most of the people I know live somewhere in the middle.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Oklahomahawk For This Useful Post:

sturg33 (07-07-2016)

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    911 Posts
    Most (R) are out of touch with mainstream Americans. Both abortion and marijuana poll 180degrees from (R) stances.

Funny thing to me is, I proposed to Bedell after watching Sarah Palin win the who has the biggest dick contest that was the (R) in the 2008 general that what (R) needed was a Charley Crist type candidate. Granted Crist per se might not have been the ideal but I think you get the point.
    Someone that doesn't live in an isolated bubble where white is the only color and far right Christianity is the only religion .

Reagan has been gone for close to 30 years and it really is time to move on

I disagree with Johnson on most everything in his platform -- but good lord he would be a breath of fresh air.
    Pretty sure he wouldn't announce his candidacy in Philadelphia , Mississippi then shrug and say, "who, me !!"

In other words, though we disagree on virtually everything I feel like Johnson would treat me with respect. No (R) since 1960 comes to mind that has given me that sense.

Question, in Obama's 8 years, has he been respectful to his disagree ers ?
    I think he has given them too much respect
    Johnson claims he got like a 73% match with Sanders on the "isidewith" quiz...I don't think you disagree with Johnson as much as you think you do...

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Hurting the defense is the least of it.
    Our country would suffer debilitating un employment should we cut the DOD to campaign rhetoric levels
    Yes, just like when Obama was thinking about allowing the Bush tax cuts to expire all you saw on Fox was "Largest Tax Increase in History" crap 24/7. Until we all get past the susceptibility of any and all fear mongering tactics working like we were Pavlovian veteran test subjects things aren't going to get any better. Social programs are going to have to be cut, so is the DoD, so is everything else, and we're going to have to get those who profit the most from this nation to stop being able to hide what they've profited. Jon Stewart did a thing not too long ago about how all young people should have to serve (don't recall the amount of time) in some sort of public service after HS. He said that's why so many have lost their feeling of connection with their country. I agree with him at least in principle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acesfull86 View Post
    Johnson claims he got like a 73% match with Sanders on the "isidewith" quiz...I don't think you disagree with Johnson as much as you think you do...
    our fundamental difference is his notion that economy/society works from the top down.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 57Brave For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (07-07-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomahawk View Post
    Yes, just like when Obama was thinking about allowing the Bush tax cuts to expire all you saw on Fox was "Largest Tax Increase in History" crap 24/7. Until we all get past the susceptibility of any and all fear mongering tactics working like we were Pavlovian veteran test subjects things aren't going to get any better. Social programs are going to have to be cut, so is the DoD, so is everything else, and we're going to have to get those who profit the most from this nation to stop being able to hide what they've profited. Jon Stewart did a thing not too long ago about how all young people should have to serve (don't recall the amount of time) in some sort of public service after HS. He said that's why so many have lost their feeling of connection with their country. I agree with him at least in principle.
    Be like turning the Queen Mary around in skating rink.
    Yes in principle and yes funds need slashing yada yada yada

http://www.ncsl.org/research/militar...economies.aspx

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,799 Posts
    Johnson is not my ideal candidate by any stretch... but as 57 has taught me... I won't make perfect the enemy of the good

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (11-02-2016), jpx7 (07-18-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Johnson is not my ideal candidate by any stretch... but as 57 has taught me... I won't make perfect the enemy of the good
    This could be a very interesting election should (R) come to grips with their "daddy issues"

I think a 4 person debate between HRC-Warren -Johnson and Weld
    Same stage

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,966 Posts
    our fundamental difference is his notion that economy/society works from the top down.
    That would be my primary difference with him as well, but he doesn't worship the lucky like Mitt Romney does.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-18-2016), Julio3000 (07-07-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    “Who’s Harriet Tubman?” Johnson asked.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    I wonder where Gary Johnson is this week ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,799 Posts
    Probably somewhere sticking to his principles and not selling out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    But not you know -- participating

Is " sticking to his principles and not selling out. " a white boys way of saying

Chill ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    " – not the timid souls who criticize from the sidelines, but someone “who is actually in the arena… '

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    911 Posts
    Campaigning and fighting to get on the debate stage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    not what but where ?
    Last edited by 57Brave; 07-28-2016 at 02:08 PM.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Not assembling a governing coalition out of various often disparate interests. Not balancing debts, favors, and obligations to interests across the board. Not coordinating a national organization that has to function from the precinct level to the international stage. Not considering how to actually govern the country when the rubber meets the road. Those are unpleasant and often unseemly things that major-party bigwigs have to do. Gary Johnson—and Jill Stein, for that matter—can focus on their respective strong suits—like ideological purity, holier-than-thou posturing, and smug sideline sniping.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

Prikichi (07-28-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,799 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Not assembling a governing coalition out of various often disparate interests. Not balancing debts, favors, and obligations to interests across the board. Not coordinating a national organization that has to function from the precinct level to the international stage. Not considering how to actually govern the country when the rubber meets the road. Those are unpleasant and often unseemly things that major-party bigwigs have to do. Gary Johnson—and Jill Stein, for that matter—can focus on their respective strong suits—like ideological purity, holier-than-thou posturing, and smug sideline sniping.
    You mean like... run a state? Something neither Hilary nor Donald have ever done?

26. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

acesfull86 (07-28-2016)