Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oh Mauricio, My Mauricio

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Umm...
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    Mauricio looks like he's gonna stick. That arm is electric.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,326 Posts
    Fastball isn't straight any more. Secondary pitches are looking much better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Who is this Mauricio? Dude is really good. The fastball is so lively.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    This is the arm we're going to regret ruining for a long time. 3 out of 4 days and he gets a day off when he SHOWS you he needs a break and you run him back out there after one day off.

Jeez!!!
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Ummm...

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,866 Posts
    this guy blows me away

8. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-10-2016)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,866 Posts
    When lowering the qualifying amount to 20 innings Mauricio is tied with Chapman for best avg velocity at 100.2 MPH. Crazytown.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-10-2016)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    When lowering the qualifying amount to 20 innings Mauricio is tied with Chapman for best avg velocity at 100.2 MPH. Crazytown.
    He keeps that walk rate down like he has and he is certainly going to be pretty special. He'll need to improve the offspeed stuff and K rate to be mentioned in the same breath as the top of the line relievers, but with the control he's shown so far he can be elite even if that doesn't happen. Gotta love him keeping the ball on the ground with that 100 MPH cheese as well.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    I swear this dude sucks.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I still would like to see more k before calling him a big time piece

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    I swear this dude sucks.
    He's definitely been an excellent surprise, but as usual your strawman argument invention game remains on point. Your Chapman comparison made no sense at the time, and still doesn't.

One guy I think he is looking similar to so far though is Jeurys Familia for the Mets. Both are high level heat righties that are fastball/slider guys, and both had similar K and BB rates in their first years. Cabrera has a 99-100 fastball compared to Familia's 96-97 one, and Familia has a slightly better groundball% but they are fairly similar. And both struggled for most of their time in the minors before breaking out as relievers in the bigs.

If Cabrera could have a similar career to what Familia has done so far I'd be stoked.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,866 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I still would like to see more k before calling him a big time piece
    He's up to 8.16 K/9 now after a slow start in that dept. Since the ASB he's at 9.93. So he's coming a long. Big thing with me is the decreased BB/9 that he had in the minors and of course not allowing any HR's.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    He's up to 8.16 K/9 now after a slow start in that dept. Since the ASB he's at 9.93. So he's coming a long. Big thing with me is the decreased BB/9 that he had in the minors and of course not allowing any HR's.
    The Ks will come if his control stays. If hitters know he is around the plate then his stuff becomes even better. Next year will be a very telling year for him. I would love to have a dominate closer like that. Plus all the other good relief potential up and down our system. A strong BP is the main reason I think this team will be much improved next season.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by auyushu View Post
    He's definitely been an excellent surprise, but as usual your strawman argument invention game remains on point. Your Chapman comparison made no sense at the time, and still doesn't.

One guy I think he is looking similar to so far though is Jeurys Familia for the Mets. Both are high level heat righties that are fastball/slider guys, and both had similar K and BB rates in their first years. Cabrera has a 99-100 fastball compared to Familia's 96-97 one, and Familia has a slightly better groundball% but they are fairly similar. And both struggled for most of their time in the minors before breaking out as relievers in the bigs.

If Cabrera could have a similar career to what Familia has done so far I'd be stoked.
    So rather than just say that, your first thought is to take a shot at me for comparing him to Chapman (who his fastball is more comparable to) instead of Familia? Things must be absolutely miserable around you - wherever you are. Just for the *ell of it...

Chapman: FB% - 81.5%, FBVelo - 100.3, Slider% - 15.9%, SliderVelo - 88.3, Change% - 2.6%, ChangeVelo - 88.4

Cabrera: FB% - 72.8%, FBVelo - 100.3, Curve% - 17.9%, CurveVelo - 84.4, Change% - 9.4%, ChangeVelo - 91.1

As his command and control continues to improve, there's little reason to think Mauricio doesn't have that kind of upside since he actually has THREE speeds.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    I'm really intrigued by Cabrera, but I'm not sure he has Chapman upside just because he throws that hard.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Chapman also throws with the opposite hand, so there's that.

Other than both of them averaging over 100 MPH on their FB there isn't much similarity between the two.

And Clv sure does like to call people out for being mean, immediately after he baited the same person with a passive aggressive swipe like a little bitch. Pretty typical from him I suppose though. Must be common in the world of high stakes realty, where a bunch of timid dudes do battle by handing out flyers.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I'm really intrigued by Cabrera, but I'm not sure he has Chapman upside just because he throws that hard.

I think he does if his command is good. I almost think Cabrera is not maxing out to gain a bit more control. As this develops, his velocity might tick up just a bit. Also think he will start to get command of his change up and that will just destroy hitters. 10+ mph velocity change is devastating.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    So rather than just say that, your first thought is to take a shot at me for comparing him to Chapman (who his fastball is more comparable to) instead of Familia? Things must be absolutely miserable around you - wherever you are. Just for the *ell of it...

Chapman: FB% - 81.5%, FBVelo - 100.3, Slider% - 15.9%, SliderVelo - 88.3, Change% - 2.6%, ChangeVelo - 88.4

Cabrera: FB% - 72.8%, FBVelo - 100.3, Curve% - 17.9%, CurveVelo - 84.4, Change% - 9.4%, ChangeVelo - 91.1

As his command and control continues to improve, there's little reason to think Mauricio doesn't have that kind of upside since he actually has THREE speeds.

His Fastball/Slider combo is nowhere NEAR Chapman, so yes that comparison is not very good. How fast you throw isn't really all that relevant. It's location and movement that count. And Mauricio is nowhere close in that department.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    how many times does chapman or kimbrel go an inning w/o a K? I just don't see the dominating stuff that makes hitters look foolish. Chapman and CK seem to make hitters look awful most of the time. Cabrera seems to be getting more weak contact. But I admit I'm not watching every pitch this year.