Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SB Nation Article About Braves Trade Deadline Possibilities

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,814 Posts

SB Nation Article About Braves Trade Deadline Possibilities

Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    If the Braves could come up with a way of getting Gray and/or Myers without trading Teheran or Swanson, I could get excited about 2017.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    If the Braves could come up with a way of getting Gray and/or Myers without trading Teheran or Swanson, I could get excited about 2017.
    No Albies either

4. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-10-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Here is what Peter Seidler, the managing partner of the Padres and Ron Fowler, their executive chairman, recently had to say about Wil Myers as relayed by Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times:

While the Padres aren’t against selling high on him [referring to Pomeranz], the same isn’t true regarding first baseman Wil Myers.

“He’s not going to be traded,” Seidler declared, and executive chairman Ron Fowler told Shaikin that Myers is “the type of guy we want to build this team around.”

As a result, Fowler is hopeful the Padres and Myers, a 25-year-old All-Star, can work out an extension. Myers is earning barely over the league minimum this year and is controllable through arbitration for three more seasons. The ex-Ray and former premier prospect has hit a tremendous .293/.358/.535 with 19 home runs in 371 plate appearances, also adding 15 stolen bases on 18 attempts. Thanks largely to his output at the plate and on the base paths, Myers has already been worth 3.5 fWAR – tied for the 11th-highest total among position players this year.

“The way we’re building this business is really straightforward,” said Seidler. “It’s all about building a core of high-ceiling, home-grown talent. That does go back to the way the best sports franchises in any of the major sports have always been run.”

Myers isn’t homegrown, but he’s clearly a high-ceiling player. And Seidler’s Padres hope Myers and a cavalcade of talented prospects can eventually lead the franchise back to relevance in the coming years.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    My favorite part:

The Braves traded right-hander Jhoulys Chacin to the Braves

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Knucksie For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-10-2016)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    One other thing on Myers - I read an article last week that quoted him talking about how much he loves playing first base. He said he hated playing in the outfield and thinks that impacted his offense.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (07-10-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    If the Braves really are serious about being done trading their talent then keeping Teheran and trading for one of Gray or Archer would really change the look of the rotation. They could buy a few offensive pieces this offseason and be dangerous next year and then add the big bat in the huge FA class.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    If the Braves really are serious about being done trading their talent then keeping Teheran and trading for one of Gray or Archer would really change the look of the rotation. They could buy a few offensive pieces this offseason and be dangerous next year and then add the big bat in the huge FA class.
    I don't think Archer is going anywhere, but Odorizi could be had. It would be entertaining for us to grab Gray and Odorizzi to further decrease the lack of pitching available this offseason and have teams blowing us up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Internal rotation options for next year include: Teheran, Wisler, Folty, Gant, Baby Harang, Harrell, Blair, Ellis, Newcomb, Sims, Whalen, Jenkins.

It seems to me part of the plan is to let things play out among the internal candidates. We need some patience during this sorting progress. I would not give up on Blair or some of the guys in the minors if they struggle for a bit. I think the number of candidates is so large that the FO will hold off on picking up major league starting pitching this off-season. Other areas in need of upgrading (catcher, third, bench, pen) will have a higher priority.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 07-10-2016 at 10:11 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-10-2016)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Internal rotation options for next year include: Teheran, Wisler, Folty, Gant, Baby Harang, Harrell, Blair, Ellis, Newcomb, Sims, Whalen, Jenkins.

It seems to me part of the plan is to let things play out among the internal candidates. We need some patience during this sorting progress. I would not give up on Blair or some of the guys in the minors if they struggle for a bit. I think the number of candidates is so large that the FO will hold off on picking up major league starting pitching this off-season. Other areas in need of upgrading (catcher, third, bench, pen) will have a higher priority.
    I do agree with this. It seems like our plan is to adopt part of the Rays mentality of next arm up, and flip them when they start to get expensive. There's so much attrition with young arms you need to play the numbers game.

I could see us going after a pitcher in trade, if we do in fact plan on trading Julio. It would essentially be a reallocating of prospects since the pitching prospects for hitting prospects do not happen.

The problem with that is we don't have many pitching prospects that are in the sell high category. I'd maybe throw Ellis, Whalen, and Mauricio in there. We really need the rest of the season to see how things shake out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Teheran, Gray, Wisler, Blair, Jenkins/Gant/Sims/so many options. That sounds really nice actually... With Newcomb not too far away (gotta get that command up)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    If I'm the A's I'm trying to attach Billy Butler to Gray if I can.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post

While I like those guys none of them are the kind that would be scary in a playoff series. Teheran and Gray would be a lot better than any of 2 on our list. Of course one could turn into an ace but I doubt it. The Braves need another top pitcher to either pair with Julio or to take his spot if he's traded.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    While I like those guys none of them are the kind that would be scary in a playoff series. Teheran and Gray would be a lot better than any of 2 on our list.
    How on earth would Gray be better than anyone right now? You think we have magic pixie dust that's going to turn him back into a decent starter? Dude is getting shelled regularly. He's never been the type of pitcher that is scary in a playoff series simply because he's a low strikeout pitch to contact pitcher, but right now he's horrible.

Barring us signing Cespedes and Desmond, the only thing we are going to be competing for the next two years is a .500 record. Trading for players with 3 years of control left, much less pitchers, would be extremely questionable. People made fun of the Padres for trading for people when they had no real chance of going anywhere (and rightfully so), and now people want us to do the same thing when we have even less talent than the Padres did at the time they did that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by auyushu View Post
    How on earth would Gray be better than anyone right now? You think we have magic pixie dust that's going to turn him back into a decent starter? Dude is getting shelled regularly. He's never been the type of pitcher that is scary in a playoff series simply because he's a low strikeout pitch to contact pitcher, but right now he's horrible.

Barring us signing Cespedes and Desmond, the only thing we are going to be competing for the next two years is a .500 record. Trading for players with 3 years of control left, much less pitchers, would be extremely questionable. People made fun of the Padres for trading for people when they had no real chance of going anywhere (and rightfully so), and now people want us to do the same thing when we have even less talent than the Padres did at the time they did that?
    Gray has been good up until this year so saying he's done basically is short sighted. And yes I'd take Gray over anybody but Teheran on this staff. Also trading for somebody with 3 years of control is bad how? You can't extend a players contract? Also the Padres emptied the entire farm. How was anything I said similar to that??

Still Playing the Waiting Game bravos4evr's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    the only thing we are going to be competing for the next two years is a .500 record.

I didn't know The Amazing Kreskin was a board member
    "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"- Tom Waits

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Also trading for somebody with 3 years of control is bad how? You can't extend a players contract? Also the Padres emptied the entire farm. How was anything I said similar to that??
    Extending a pitcher to a long term deal past the age of 30 is a really bad idea, and goes against pretty much the entire draft pitching philosophy the Braves have in place (and Gray will be 30 as a FA). We'd have to give up a ton in trade just to get Gray, so yes we'd have to semi empty the farm. You think the Braves are going to be the only team to ask a ton in return for controllable pitching? Beane isn't going to take Sims, Whalen, Gant etc for Gray, he's going to want legit prospects. And I trust our top prospects ability a lot more than I trust Gray to get back to normal.

Gray isn't injured and hasn't lost velocity, he's just started getting hit really hard. He's never been a high strikeout guy and has always outpitched his peripherals in a major way. There is a ton to be scared of with him, and I have zero interest in giving up major prospects for a guy that could be done or turning into a back of the rotation guy. Just no reason to take that sort of risk with a rebuilding team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravos4evr View Post
    I didn't know The Amazing Kreskin was a board member
    Yes indeed, and I can predict you'll continue to make inane posts while you're on the board. Since we like the 5% number, I'd say there is maybe a 5% chance the Braves are a playoff team the next two years. Is that better for you?

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Braves need to be smart and wait to trade for guys like Meyers and Archer this winter, not at the trade deadline. We need the first or second overall pick next year in what looks to be an incredibly strong draft. Getting Meyers or Archer will sink those hopes. The Reds and Twins are gunning hard to overtake is for that top spot and top draft money. This will probably be the last year in a while where we can pick at he very top of the draft. Don't screw it up by getting a talent in the middle of the year that means jack about our playoff hopes this season.

Still Playing the Waiting Game bravos4evr's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by auyushu View Post
    Yes indeed, and I can predict you'll continue to make inane posts while you're on the board. Since we like the 5% number, I'd say there is maybe a 5% chance the Braves are a playoff team the next two years. Is that better for you?
    lol, "inane" there is nothing more inane than making grandiose predictions to push a personal narrative. I have no idea how they will do the next 2 years. They may not make the playoffs but be in the WC hunt until late September. They might come out of nowhere and win the division. They might lose 100 game for 2 more seasons. Baseball is weird and doesn't lend itself to absolute predictions very well. (and I prefer to be positive about the future of the team rather than be a debby downer)
    "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"- Tom Waits