Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 7/13 WEDNESDAY'S MINOR THREAD: Anderson, Harrington debut

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    As a reliever... Surely we're gonna try him as a starter though, right?
    I sure hope so. Wasn't Harrington over slot, too? That would be weird to go over slot on the third and fourth rounders if they were likely just relievers.

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,814 Posts
    Summary from tonight's M-Braves/Mobile game tonight.

M-Braves weren't very clutch tonight.

Sean Newcombe: Four of his five innings were great. One inning was not, and it did him and the team in. Allowed a ringing double, RBI single, and hit a batter before the three run homer in the third inning. The other innings, he showed his ability. Just that one bad inning.

Ozzie Albies: Got on with a walk and a HBP. Made solid contact on a liner to CF in his first at bat, then got his RBI triple in the ninth. I thought it was going to get out at first. Mobile outfielder almost made what would have been an incredible catch on the warning track. Was happy with what I saw in the two games I went to this week.

Dansby Swanson: Not a great night at the plate with a couple strikeouts, but did get a single in the ninth to keep the game going. Showed good range at SS, further showing why I'd rather have him there and keep Albies at second.

Dustin Peterson: Roped a solid double for his hit tonight. Flied out to end the game.

Jason Hursch: Keep forgetting about this guy. Gave up a couple hits in two innings. Still bummed that a former first round pick is a middle reliever.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CrimsonCowboy For This Useful Post:

dak (07-14-2016), DaneHill (07-14-2016), Garmel (07-13-2016), jpx7 (07-13-2016), Julio3000 (07-13-2016), Tapate50 (07-14-2016)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    I sure hope so. Wasn't Harrington over slot, too? That would be weird to go over slot on the third and fourth rounders if they were likely just relievers.
    Harrington was the one pick in our draft that was pretty WTF. Everything I read on him said likely reliever or 4th/5th starter type. Was extremely surprised when we went over slot for him.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingFor2017 View Post
    What's the deal with Harrington? He was sent to Danville 12 days ago and signed a month ago and still nothing? Considering he was our 3rd round pick, I'm very interested in his progress.
    Pitched today. Scoreless inning.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Kyle Lewis has really been on fire lately in A- ball... I was all for our approach, but I have to admit if he becomes a flat out star, its going to hurt a bit.
    My personal feeling is to take this to the A's message board where they care.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Not sure why the A's fans would care more about a Mariners prospect than our fans would Rico :

However, there are going to be many Braves watching his progression with great interest, whether you like it or not. If he does well it's going to come up regularly I'm sure.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to auyushu For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (07-14-2016), jpx7 (07-13-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    What was the point of that rude response? I said I like the way our draft went. Just making an observation. Good lord. And he's not even on the A's

10. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

Garmel (07-14-2016)

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    What was the point of that rude response? I said I like the way our draft went. Just making an observation. Good lord. And he's not even on the A's
    Isn't he playing in short season A ball? That's below Rome.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IslandBrave View Post
    Yeah, it's basically rookie league, right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    Summary from tonight's M-Braves/Mobile game tonight.

M-Braves weren't very clutch tonight.

Sean Newcombe: Four of his five innings were great. One inning was not, and it did him and the team in. Allowed a ringing double, RBI single, and hit a batter before the three run homer in the third inning. The other innings, he showed his ability. Just that one bad inning.

Ozzie Albies: Got on with a walk and a HBP. Made solid contact on a liner to CF in his first at bat, then got his RBI triple in the ninth. I thought it was going to get out at first. Mobile outfielder almost made what would have been an incredible catch on the warning track. Was happy with what I saw in the two games I went to this week.

Dansby Swanson: Not a great night at the plate with a couple strikeouts, but did get a single in the ninth to keep the game going. Showed good range at SS, further showing why I'd rather have him there and keep Albies at second.

Dustin Peterson: Roped a solid double for his hit tonight. Flied out to end the game.

Jason Hursch: Keep forgetting about this guy. Gave up a couple hits in two innings. Still bummed that a former first round pick is a middle reliever.
    Seems DP makes a lot of contact. Not a real strike out guy?
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IslandBrave View Post
    Yes it is below Rome and it's his first professional stint playing baseball at all. We would be excited if he was playing like he is in Danville.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    geez

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Yes it is below Rome and it's his first professional stint playing baseball at all. We would be excited if he was playing like he is in Danville.
    Yes we would; at least I would be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Super excited though? He's a college guy hitting well in rookie league..as he should be. If it were even low-A I'd be more impressed (as I was a week ago when I posted about it, thinking he was in low-A). He shouldn't be struggling at all (and to his credit, he isn't).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    Super excited though? He's a college guy hitting well in rookie league..as he should be. If it were even low-A I'd be more impressed (as I was a week ago when I posted about it, thinking he was in low-A). He shouldn't be struggling at all (and to his credit, he isn't).
    Its still an adjustment from college ball to pro ball and he's a guy that didn't play the best college competition, I think there was an expectation that he wouldn't move as quickly as a typical first round college bat.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Whalen promoted to Gwinnett, Banuelos sent down to Mississippi.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    there was an expectation that he wouldn't move as quickly as a typical first round college bat.
    Which if he's basically in rookie league, he isn't. Don't most of those guys start out at low-A or high-A?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,325 Posts
    Our own Neslony is outplaying Lewis but I don't hear anyone being excited about him.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    Which if he's basically in rookie league, he isn't. Don't most of those guys start out at low-A or high-A?
    According to this http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe...P=kyle-lewis-1 and this http://www.baseball-reference.com/re...d=lewis-000kyl

Lewis is in A-. In fact, it is the exact same league Swanson started out, the Northwest League. Guess it was OK for Swanson, but not for Lewis?

Of course folks on these forums are going to poo-poo whatever Lewis does since they want to feel justified that the Braves passed on him. A lot of folks wanted the Braves to draft him, so I would go ahead and prepare yourselves to see many Kyle Lewis updates. Anderson has thrown 3 innings in rookie ball, while Lewis has put up a .900 OPS with 15/14 K/BB in his first 100+ professional PAs.

I still wish the Braves had drafted him at #3.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    Our own Neslony is outplaying Lewis but I don't hear anyone being excited about him.

we will have to see where he is after 26 games.. But Neslony is in A ball now and not A- ball