Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Sox To Acquire Drew Pomeranz From Padres

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    They gave up Espinosa for Pomeranz when he hasnt pitched more than 150 innings in a season ever.

But you hate everything the Braves do so these things go nowhere.
    LOL what am I hating here that the Braves have done?

Pomeranz is a very talented pitcher... Boston overpaid. Doesn't mean Teheran all the sudden turned into Jose Frenandez

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    If Pomeranz brings that return, wow. Julio could bring us a ton.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Big overpay here. I'm guessing we wanted Moncada and wouldn't budge. Which is fine with me. Houston is on a tear and the Rangers need help too.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Chris Cotillo
    @ChrisCotillo
    Text from scout on Espinoza: "Best pitching prospect I've seen in last four years. Sellers market.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (07-14-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Rangers are screwed. They don't have enough to get anyone now that the market is this high.
    Rangers might not do much outside of getting another bullpen arm and/or back-end starter that can make it past the 5th inning. They plan to activate Kela (one of their best bullpen arms from last year) and their ace Darvish Friday and Saturday. So that is like making two big trades for them right there. But Darvish still may need time to go deep into games, so that makes their need for a back-end starter and/or bullpen help a rather pressing need. However, I wouldn't say they "don't have enough to get anyone now..." because they have one of the strongest farm systems and their needs should cost less than Boston unless they decide to go for more (and even then they have the pieces if they trade Gallo and/or Profar, etc).

That said, if I am the Rangers I'd go for a cheap fix for the back-end of the rotation, including Harrell if the price is right. Then focus on improving the bullpen and I'd even trade Gallo for the right return because I am not sold on him reaching his potential. I am more sold on Profar than Gallo after watching both quite a bit recently. But even Profar I'm not expecting to continue hitting as well as he's done this year. I like his value more in being a long-term option at short (his natural position). So if I am the Rangers I'd hold on to him for short and dump Elvis Andrus first chance I get to do so (partly due to his bad contract, but also because of his declining range at short and his making bad errors at key times--last playoffs in Toronto being the worst example).

Lastly, Padres certainly made a very good trade here but I do like DP too and expect he'll help Boston. If a Boston fan I would hate the price paid.
    Last edited by Braves1976; 07-14-2016 at 06:40 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Good for the Padres. Preller is a much, much better rebuilder than he is a buyer.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mqt For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (07-14-2016)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    LOL what am I hating here that the Braves have done?

Pomeranz is a very talented pitcher... Boston overpaid. Doesn't mean Teheran all the sudden turned into Jose Frenandez
    He's never pitched more than 150 innings a year. Boston massively overpaid.

I never said Julio is Fernandez but if Boston is trading their top prospects, why not aim higher than Pomeranz?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Rangers are screwed. They don't have enough to get anyone now that the market is this high.
    Well, they do. The question is whether they want to part with those pieces.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Rosenthal has already written that Texas doesn't like Teheran as much as the price he would cost. That's why I was hoping they'd get Pomeranz.

Now Texas probably gets Rich Hill, and we will end head into the offseason still trying to figure out how our offense will get any better in the future.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

Horsehide Harry (07-14-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Julio will definitely get more than Pomeranz. Pomeranz is still young but as brittle as he is that is to much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Rosenthal has already written that Texas doesn't like Teheran as much as the price he would cost. That's why I was hoping they'd get Pomeranz.

Now Texas probably gets Rich Hill, and we will end head into the offseason still trying to figure out how our offense will get any better in the future.
    Texas does seem to be favoring lefty starters as far as being willing to pay more for them. They also have interest in Moore from Tampa Bay and maybe Smyly too.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post

Meh, the SP market this winter sucks ass in FA.

If Julio finishes up with a good year, he'll still command a haul.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

Hudson2 (07-14-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    He's never pitched more than 150 innings a year. Boston massively overpaid.

I never said Julio is Fernandez but if Boston is trading their top prospects, why not aim higher than Pomeranz?
    My guess is the best prospect the BoSox were willing to trade away was Espinosa, and they almost certainly offered him for Julio. When that went nowhere they got the best pitcher they could get for what they were willing to trade.

If you are only willing to spend $10 you get the best you can for $10, even if the thing you really want costs $15.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-14-2016)

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Great trade for both teams! I always liked Pomeranz, he could turn out to be the next Jake Arrieta! He's been great this seaon so far. The Pads get a high upside power arm who could be great or could be a Mauricio Cabrera/Jose Capellan type but he's 18 with ridiculous upside.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Espinosa is legit. I've seen him a few times, and from what I've seen, the scouting reports are spot on. He's got poise, presence, and decent command of 3 pitches at an age where most guys are just trying to repeat their deliveries. I'm really surprised they parted with him here.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-14-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Espinosa is legit. I've seen him a few times, and from what I've seen, the scouting reports are spot on. He's got poise, presence, and decent command of 3 pitches at an age where most guys are just trying to repeat their deliveries. I'm really surprised they parted with him here.
    Boston is going for it and it's Ortiz last year, teams tend to pay more in that position so all things considered I don't find it that surprising. Not nearly as surprising as what Arizona payed in the off-season for Miller. Plus Boston had to be more desperate given the results they've had lately from a number of their starters. Texas probably is too, though in their case they have Darvish returning Saturday and Kela Friday in the bullpen. So not nearly as pressing IMO and it's a lot easier to find a back-end starter as even someone like Harrell will work than a middle of the rotation or better starter.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    If you are only willing to spend $10 you get the best you can for $10, even if the thing you really want costs $15.
    Except they got a $5 pitcher for the $10.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    I mean if it cost them Ezpinosa for Pomeranz, i dont wanna imagine the cost for Julio.

Devers, Bendi is a starting point i'd think.
    Not quite looking at it right. They did this deal, because they weren't going to meet Teheran's price. Personally, I sort of like the deal better for Boston and it sort of shows the premium that clubs are putting on top hitting prospects.

From Boston's perspective, they spent 1.8 million on Espinosa to land a cost controlled rotation piece with control and high upside who may have just turned the corner. With their budget, Boston can continue to make acquisitions like that in the future to fill in the gap.

San Diego gets a high upside pitcher who is maybe three years away from the big leagues. Nice piece, and similar to some guys Atlanta has grabbed, but nothing that is a sure thing.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Except they got a $5 pitcher for the $10.
    Or a left handed breakout all star who is controllable for two more years. Pomeranz has always been a pretty high upside player that injuries have hurt. We'll see.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Not quite looking at it right. They did this deal, because they weren't going to meet Teheran's price. Personally, I sort of like the deal better for Boston and it sort of shows the premium that clubs are putting on top hitting prospects.

From Boston's perspective, they spent 1.8 million on Espinosa to land a cost controlled rotation piece with control and high upside who may have just turned the corner. With their budget, Boston can continue to make acquisitions like that in the future to fill in the gap.

San Diego gets a high upside pitcher who is maybe three years away from the big leagues. Nice piece, and similar to some guys Atlanta has grabbed, but nothing that is a sure thing.
    I don't necessarily disagree, and I realize that Espinosa is a long way away, but he's not really that similar to guys we've grabbed.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (07-14-2016), jpx7 (07-14-2016)