Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts

Republican National Convention

off to a flying start.

Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa) offered an unusual defense of the racial homogeneity of his party during a panel on MSNBC Monday evening.

The group, led by Chris Hayes, was discussing the first day of the Republican national convention, and Donald Trump's history of racially-loaded comments and behavior. King told Hayes that he thought Trump had "modified" his behavior in that regard, but Esquire's Charlie Pierce said he didn't see much diversity reflected in the gathering itself.

"If you're really optimistic, you can say that this is the last time that old white people will command the Republican party's attention, its platform, its public face," Esquire's Charles Pierce said. "That hall is wired," he continued. "That hall is wired by loud, unhappy, dissatisfied white people."

King objected.

"This 'old white people' business does get a little tired, Charlie," King said. "I'd ask you to go back through history and figure out, where are these contributions that have been made by these other categories of people that you're talking about, where did any other subgroup of people contribute more to civilization?"

"Than white people?" Hayes asked, clearly amazed.
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    stuart stevens ‏@stuartpstevens 3h3 hours ago

Over four nights there are 5 Trumps speaking as "Headliners" & no Latinos, just to make it clear this is about an ego and not an election.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Hillary sure is race pandering though. Spanish tweeting abuela who always carries hot sauce in her purse.
    thank you weso1!

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    stuart stevens ‏@stuartpstevens 3h3 hours ago

Over four nights there are 5 Trumps speaking as "Headliners" & no Latinos, just to make it clear this is about an ego and not an election.

Do we need to have affirmative action in politics now? Who gives a ****. We're all Americans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Baio: Let's make America, America again ... words to live, be confused by

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Matthew Yglesias ‏@mattyglesias 20m20 minutes ago

How come Republicans never tried to make an issue out of this Benghazi issue before today? Seems like gold.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 57Brave For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (07-18-2016)

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    I have to say I do find it ironic that the Republicans in this hall are all in on Trump when he flat out said Bush knowingly lied to lead us into Iraq. These are mostly the same people that called critics of the war unpatriotic a decade ago.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bravesnumberone For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-18-2016), Julio3000 (07-18-2016), mossy (07-18-2016), The Chosen One (07-18-2016)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Tom Cotton: "We've seen what happens when the US leads from behind"

Hmmm. We saw what happened when Cotton lead against the Iran Deal a few years ago. Now that Iran Deal is in, Cotton looks like an idiot.
    Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,291 Posts
    Too bad Gary Johnson doesn't have the stones to get in the ring with the big boys
    Lol

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,291 Posts
    Too bad Gary Johnson doesn't have the stones to get in the ring with the big boys
    "It's too bad Gary Johnson has his principles, such a pussy"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I don't remember Obama being accused of plagiarism and a bunch of dumb fake quotes attributed to him as a pose to be clever. But it's possible I missed it.

Meanwhile... he's a disaster of a President. But since I know you only care about race relations... I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on what he's done to help bridge the gap

Well I think he is a damn good president especially when dealing with the white supremacists who tried to fight him tooth and nail to be a 1 term president.

I think Obama has tried to actually have a discussion about race and blackness in America. He unfortunately has been in a terrible position that many of us black people who must interact and work amongst white people encounter. He cant be too black cause ole white masta will be scared. Which leads him to ignore or not voice loudly enough issues facing the black community. Smh I know this feeling oh so well 😥

I feel like his hands are tied behind his back because he is running on a legacy for all blacks. I really think white people will truly never understand that we blacks are taught to be 10x better than any average white person. That if he fails that it will hurt future blacks from having a chance at becoming a president. Therefore he cant really do or say the things he so truly wants. At the end of the day I voted for him twice and would do it a 3rd time. Obama may not have done all i want and hope for but McCain, Mitt, Trump etc have shiwn that they dont give damn about my people.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by njc108 View Post
    Well I think he is a damn good president especially when dealing with the white supremacists who tried to fight him tooth and nail to be a 1 term president.

I think Obama has tried to actually have a discussion about race and blackness in America. He unfortunately has been in a terrible position that many of us black people who must interact and work amongst white people encounter. He cant be too black cause ole white masta will be scared. Which leads him to ignore or not voice loudly enough issues facing the black community. Smh I know this feeling oh so well ��

I feel like his hands are tied behind his back because he is running on a legacy for all blacks. I really think white people will truly never understand that we blacks are taught to be 10x better than any average white person. That if he fails that it will hurt future blacks from having a chance at becoming a president. Therefore he cant really do or say the things he so truly wants. At the end of the day I voted for him twice and would do it a 3rd time. Obama may not have done all i want and hope for but McCain, Mitt, Trump etc have shiwn that they dont give damn about my people.
    LOL... I don't remember the division in races prior to Obama... But now I see it's as bad as ever. All Obama does is "condemn" these terrible acts by implying it's kinda justified. His rhetoric on the issues is extremely divisive.

We won't ever move on until we treat people like individuals, not groups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Christie complaining about corruption is rich... the wrong guy to make that speech, IMO...

Of course, everything he said was correct... but the hypocrisy was annoying

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    LOL... I don't remember the division in races prior to Obama... But now I see it's as bad as ever. All Obama does is "condemn" these terrible acts by implying it's kinda justified. His rhetoric on the issues is extremely divisive.

I'm reluctant to wade in and I agree with your sentiment wholeheartedly here, but I think the big problem is that the country is--and always has been--composed of tribes based on race and/or class. There have been dalliances with the establishment of a clear American "type," particularly after World War II, but those bouts of cohesion don't seem to maintain themselves. We have always pretty much been a country of "otherness." Some of that is good and some of it is not.

I'm just finishing up Dr. Nancy Isenberg's White Trash: The 400-Year Untold History of Class in America and it is a fascinating book. I'd also recommend a book I read a few years back, Dr. Thaddeus Russell's A Renegade History of the United States, which covers some of the same turf as Isenberg's book but from a totally different angle.

As per Carson, I guess he forgot the part of the Bible about "he who is without sin can cast the first stone," which I just find so amazing given his staunch commitment to Christ. People need to start treating him like the nut that he is.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 07-20-2016 at 10:08 AM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

sturg33 (07-20-2016)

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    I don't remember the division in races prior to Obama... .
    Wow.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Metaphysicist For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-21-2016), Julio3000 (07-20-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphysicist View Post
    Wow.
    I would have assumed this was intuitive... but what I'm meaning to say here is I don't remember race relations being this bad before 08... but I was 18 so I wasn't paying much attention.

Hysterical Girlfriend
    That Storms Out and
    Returns the Next Day
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    453 Posts
    How did we end up with such a sad lot for candidates? It's embarrassing really. I still don't want to vote for either candidate. >:(

The most amazing thing to me is how wrapped up people get into one candidate, jumping up and down, yelling and clapping wildly. That kind of behavior is absurd no matter who you support. I'll never understand it.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to mossy For This Useful Post:

Runnin (07-20-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

You didnt see it because we kept quiet. Did you not see Rodney King, riots, OJ Simpson verdict. The division was always there its just that many of us due to white supremacy have been programmed to accept the racist treatment that we have been given since the start of this country.

Obama is stating what I think many feel. The violence is terrible and wrong. Is it justified...Hell no. But i clearly understand. As a black American I am truly pissed off with America and I want real change now. I am no longer going to accept the bs white supremacy has shoved down my throat.

Because dude we are groups. You will never know how I as a black woman feel and have been treated in this world. To hear all the racism my family has faced from Grandfather who fought in WWII to my Ivy league graduate uncle down to me. No we wont move on until White America recognize their privilege, destroy the laws and institutions white supremacy has created, and start treating minorities as freaking equals. Respect our contributions to America because damn it we built this mfer and have NEVER been paid for it!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by njc108 View Post
    You didnt see it because we kept quiet. Did you not see Rodney King, riots, OJ Simpson verdict. The division was always there its just that many of us due to white supremacy have been programmed to accept the racist treatment that we have been given since the start of this country.

Obama is stating what I think many feel. The violence is terrible and wrong. Is it justified...Hell no. But i clearly understand. As a black American I am truly pissed off with America and I want real change now. I am no longer going to accept the bs white supremacy has shoved down my throat.

Because dude we are groups. You will never know how I as a black woman feel and have been treated in this world. To hear all the racism my family has faced from Grandfather who fought in WWII to my Ivy league graduate uncle down to me. No we wont move on until White America recognize their privilege, destroy the laws and institutions white supremacy has created, and start treating minorities as freaking equals. Respect our contributions to America because damn it we built this mfer and have NEVER been paid for it!!!!
    Yeah - I know Rodney King... tragic.

OJ Simpson? Do what?

If you only choose to see yourself as a group then the racial gap will never end.

There's no such thing as black right or gay rights or white rights. It's individual rights. End of discussion.

You keep saying you don't support the violence but then you spend the rest of your post justifying it. Just like the President.

All that is happening here is:

- Horrible government policy incentivizes going after the poor

- Over militarized police treat the poor unfairly

- The victims retaliate against otherwise innocent police

- The country gets behind the police and are angry about the victim's violence

- We argue about race

- Nothing ever changes

- It just escalates

- The police become more militarized

- More mistakes get made

- More retaliation happens

- We yell at each other about race

Nothing changes - it just gets worse. Obama is a joke, but he's certainly not the only joke.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

chop2chip (07-20-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Also i must say you must be either blind or in complete denial to ever claim that there was no division before Obama came to office. Im really not trying to be disrespectful but you saying that spits in the face of many blacks who have felt the ugly sting of racism since the first African stepped foot on American soil. This is why there is a division and why change wont ever occur.