Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Keith Law ranks Braves system #1 in midseason update

Roaming in Rome
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts

Keith Law ranks Braves system #1 in midseason update

http://espn.go.com/blog/keith-law/po...systems-update Behind paywall, but the Braves blurb that's viewable is good news.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I'd still prefer Boston's grp to ours....

That said...I wonder if we can do a different deal with Boston. IF, big IF, Travis can play LF can we get him for someone like Jenkins? Can we find a solid bat and use one of our many (so so many) 4/5 starters (keep Julio and Folty).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,897 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I'd still prefer Boston's grp to ours....

That said...I wonder if we can do a different deal with Boston. IF, big IF, Travis can play LF can we get him for someone like Jenkins? Can we find a solid bat and use one of our many (so so many) 4/5 starters (keep Julio and Folty).
    While I don't disagree, we are flush with pitchers, the opposite is true for them. They don't have a lot at the ML level, and not really a whole lot of help on the way.
    Last edited by Tapate50; 07-19-2016 at 01:49 PM.
    Ivermectin Man

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    The only system I like as much as Atlanta's right now is Boston and I think you can make an argument either way.

What we just did in the draft and the international market probably pushes us over the top, we added so much premium young talent.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Preacher For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-19-2016), Knucksie (07-19-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,897 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    The only system I like as much as Atlanta's right now is Boston and I think you can make an argument either way.

What we just did in the draft and the international market probably pushes us over the top, we added so much premium young talent.
    And will be in position do draft at the very top again this year.
    Ivermectin Man

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    I think the best thing about our system is we should be a top 5 for many years to come. Once we graduate Ozzie and Swanson, we should have other guys just taking their place. Hopefully we can get the mother ship turned around and enjoy organizational success across all levels.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    We will be better next year but should still be a bottom 5-10 team depending on what moves the FO makes this offseason.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Our system outside of the low minors is overrated and complete garbage.

Everyone points to Swanson and Albies. What makes them so great, they aren't once in a generation talent like Griffey, AROD, or Chipper. We will be lucky if they are as good as Furcal and Giles. Where's our cornerstone player to build around? There are non.

We have major issues at catcher, third, and the outfield. No help is on the way. We need power, our system is starved of power. Where are the hitters to build around? Where is the Justices, Gants, Chipper, Klesko, and Javys?

All these pitchers are overrated. A bunch of fringe bottom of the rotation or setup guys. Should have sold high on guys like Wisler, Blair, and Jenkins. Instead we rush them and expose them for the frauds that they are. Up next: Minter, Newcomb, Fried. There's no Smoltz or Glavine or Avery in this group. They'll be lucky to carve out a career like Buddy Carlyle.

Give me a system with a few generational talents who are studs with a bunch of scrubs instead of a bunch of AAA fringe MLB filler material.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Overreacting much? Swanson is better than Giles and will be the face they build around. And what did Smoltz and Glavine show in the minors that would lead anybody to believe they would be 1st ballot HOF'ers?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Millwood1Hitter View Post

Give me a system with a few generational talents who are studs with a bunch of scrubs instead of a bunch of AAA fringe MLB filler material.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,538 Posts

Everyone points to Swanson and Albies. What makes them so great, they aren't once in a generation talent like Griffey, AROD, or Chipper. We will be lucky if they are as good as Furcal and Giles. Where's our cornerstone player to build around? There are non.

We have major issues at catcher, third, and the outfield. No help is on the way. We need power, our system is starved of power. Where are the hitters to build around? Where is the Justices, Gants, Chipper, Klesko, and Javys?

All these pitchers are overrated. A bunch of fringe bottom of the rotation or setup guys. Should have sold high on guys like Wisler, Blair, and Jenkins. Instead we rush them and expose them for the frauds that they are. Up next: Minter, Newcomb, Fried. There's no Smoltz or Glavine or Avery in this group. They'll be lucky to carve out a career like Buddy Carlyle.

any group of prospects will come up short if lined up against hall of famers

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    They'll be lucky to carve out a career like Buddy Carlyle.
    Always enjoy hearing from the eternal optimist.

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts

one guy did say maitan was like chipper one time

On a serious note, I'm pretty confident no one in the minors right now in any system will be as good as Ken Griffey Jr. (or A-Rod, if you prefer WAR over career to measure greatness).

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    They don't have to have HOF careers, but where are the cornerstone types to build around? There are none. Right now we're holding our hat crowning Swanson as that guy, and he may very well be Jeter but...my point being is Jeter isn't a star and the Yanks don't win without Brrnie, Jorge, and Mariano. Just like Chipper wouldn't have won without Justice, Klesko, Javy, etc. We don't have those horses.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Jeter isn't a star...most ignorant statement I've seen in awhile. And that's saying a lot.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

CyYoung31 (07-20-2016)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts

It's time for your enema. Your constipation is making you crabby.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

CyYoung31 (07-20-2016), Knucksie (07-20-2016), mfree80 (07-19-2016), The Chosen One (07-20-2016)

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts

I think I understand where you are coming from and don't entirely disagree. I will say that Folty and Wisler look to at least be serviceable, maybe a #2 and #3. Folty needs a little polish but has the stuff. Wisler has to be more crafty and isn't quite there yet but isn't entirely embarrassing himself. Blair has lost all confidence (if he isn't injured) and it doesn't appear that anyone has been able to bring it back yet (and may never). He was brought up for a taste and just when he opened his mouth and leaned in he got his teeth kicked in. If he can get his confidence back he probably is at least a #3 or #4. Newcomb has been wild and needs control. If he finds it he's very likely to be a #2 or #3, maybe higher. But he does have a bust factor.

But the majority of the high end pitching is at A ball or below. That's why I have been saying that the real target should start in 2018. It's going to take a while.

As for the bats, I agree more with you but not completely. Swanson and Albies should be the future #1 and #2 hole hitters and cover 2nd and short for the next 6 or so years. Ruiz doesn't hit for enough power to play 3rd everyday yet, but he's still young. Maybe he gets there. Peterson is likely a bench guy if anything. The rest of the bats at A ball and above are pretty uninspiring.

That's why I have been so adamant about trading ML assets for a lot of controllable bats with upside.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,734 Posts
    I wonder what Millwood1hitterquitter would have though of Kevin Millwood as a prospect. His minor league stat sheets are full of 4 and 5 ERA stops in the minors.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (07-20-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts

So much inaccuracy here that I don't even know where to start.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,519 Posts
    Why does it always seem like the Red Sox have a loaded farm system, yet they always seem to fill their roster with creaky old-veterans with bloated contracts?

25. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (07-20-2016)