Page 14 of 36 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: The Reverse Pennant Chase

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    I think we will end up in the 4-5 hole...hope I'm wrong, but we could easily win 5 of the next 6 the way we have been playing. Snit needs to let some of the guys like Rio play.
    I think we'll get 2. I think we finish 3-3 or worse, and the DBacks or Rays would have to finish 1-5 at that point to pass us.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    if we go 3 and 3 for the last 6 games. We will be guaranteed a #6 pick. The pads and reds would only have to win 1 game to stay ahead of us. The Dbacks and Rays would have to win 2 games.. it would be nice to have that extra lose to push our lead over #3 to 2 games.

So I think if we lose 3 games, we will probably pick no worse than #3. We need scrubs in the Phollies series.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    So far it looks like the top 2 talents are Hunter Greene and Jordon Adell. You can read about them here:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/an-ea...he-2017-draft/

I hope the Braves don't #finishstrong so much that they lose out on one of these guys.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    So far it looks like the top 2 talents are Hunter Greene and Jordon Adell. You can read about them here:

I hope the Braves don't #finishstrong so much that they lose out on one of these guys.
    I still have a tough time imagining Hunter Greene goes number one. He's an elite high school talent, but his likely path is as a RHP and he would be the first prep RHP to go first overall.

As long as the Braves are in a position to draft one of the top college players like Kendall, Houck, Schwarz, etc., then I'll be content. Kendall in particular would be my top choice.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I still have a tough time imagining Hunter Greene goes number one. He's an elite high school talent, but his likely path is as a RHP and he would be the first prep RHP to go first overall.

As long as the Braves are in a position to draft one of the top college players like Kendall, Houck, Schwarz, etc., then I'll be content. Kendall in particular would be my top choice.
    Well the Braves will not be picking first, and both drafts under the new regime have seen the Braves take a prep pitcher with their first 2 picks last year and first 3 picks this year. I'm not saying they won't go for a college player, but recent history suggests they have a boner for HS pitchers early in the draft.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Well the Braves will not be picking first, and both drafts under the new regime have seen the Braves take a prep pitcher with their first 2 picks last year and first 3 picks this year. I'm not saying they won't go for a college player, but recent history suggests they have a boner for HS pitchers early in the draft.
    What I poorly meant to imply was that Greene should be available at where we pick, but he wouldn't be my top choice.

There were strong rumors pre-draft last year that we were interested in college position players, but that we weren't that impressed with the ones that were available at number three. I still think that's the case and it appears that this year has a stronger crop than last year, ever so slightly. I'm sure we will look at the HS pitching crop again this year and that's likely what the preference is, but I do think that they would be open to take the right type of college player.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Sure hope the forecast clears tonight so this game can be official. Last thing we need is to restart this game.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    I'll be damned, down 6-0 in the 4th and come back to win 7-6. This one could end up being quite costly in next year's draft.

In these last 5 games, to keep the #2 slot in next year's draft:

We can do no better than the Rays and D'Backs.
    We can do no more than 1 game better than the Reds.
    We can do no more than 2 games better than the Padres and A's.

We will still pick somewhere between 2 and 7, though the chances of slipping lower than the #2 slot greatly increased with tonight's come from behind win.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    how is it all the September collapses where it seems we forget baseball and lose and cost our selves a playoff spot and then comes this September and all we have to do is do what we have been doing every September and we actually start winning games and look like a decent team.

we are failing at failing
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    how is it all the September collapses where it seems we forget baseball and lose and cost our selves a playoff spot and then comes this September and all we have to do is do what we have been doing every September and we actually start winning games and look like a decent team.

Yep amazing isn't it...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    This really is my least favorite Braves team of my lifetime. They were absolutely unwatchable during the first half of the season. They made it clear from then that they wouldn't be anywhere near a contender, and after doing that, they've begun to hurt the future by winning games that mean absolutely nothing.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post

1st because Fredi is a horrible manager. 2nd because this team was the opposite of last season. We were super lucky to start the year and then our play regressed to our talent level. This year the team (offense mainly) was very unlucky to start the year and our play in the 2nd half has balanced that out.

The team that plays every night right now is not a bottom 5 team.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    This really is my least favorite Braves team of my lifetime. They were absolutely unwatchable during the first half of the season. They made it clear from then that they wouldn't be anywhere near a contender, and after doing that, they've begun to hurt the future by winning games that mean absolutely nothing.
    Is dropping 5 spots in one draft really going to hurt the future? Hurting the future is a Mark Texiera trade. It's not the Braves are suddenly losing our 1st round pick for 5 seasons.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Is dropping 5 spots in one draft really going to hurt the future? Hurting the future is a Mark Texiera trade. It's not the Braves are suddenly losing our 1st round pick for 5 seasons.
    I'm not saying the drop is going to jeopardize the rebuild or anything, but according to last year's draft slots, dropping from 2 to 5 would sacrifice $3.4 million of pool money based on the first round picks alone. There's no way winning pointless September baseball games is worth that.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    I'm not saying the drop is going to jeopardize the rebuild or anything, but according to last year's draft slots, dropping from 2 to 5 would sacrifice $3.4 million of pool money based on the first round picks alone. There's no way winning pointless September baseball games is worth that.
    You play the game whether you win or lose. I think purposely tanking for a couple of extra spots in the draft is beyond silly.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (09-28-2016), mfree80 (09-28-2016)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    The slot money is the hardest thing to loose, I agree. But a top 5 pick is still getting someone that should reach the majors. They may just have to do things more traditionally. Use the money they have for that slot and just pick off the very best player available. However the braves have shown they pick guys in late rounds that really surprise too so I still expect a good draft. Our system is deep right now. A ding just one top 50 talent still makes us better.

Also, you can argue that guys playing well (Adonis, Neck, Jace, bullpen) could net us multiple prospect that are more valuable than draft picks. It is good to see that this team has a pulse. And I always enjoy smashing the phollies..

18. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (09-28-2016)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Sure you can't just tank. You have to admit, us going from a "almost" lock #1, to maybe not even making the top 5 stings a little. They were almost unwatchable and now they friggin refuse to loose. They have already kept from loosing 100 games...really nothing else to prove. Missing out on the #2 won't make us or break us, but it's just so pointless to reel off like 8 of 10 to end the year. It won't carry over to next year.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Sure you can't just tank. You have to admit, us going from a "almost" lock #1, to maybe not even making the top 5 stings a little. They were almost unwatchable and now they friggin refuse to loose. They have already kept from loosing 100 games...really nothing else to prove. Missing out on the #2 won't make us or break us, but it's just so pointless to reel off like 8 of 10 to end the year. It won't carry over to next year.
    Sure it stings but the Braves should still be in position to pick a stud all-star player. Losing the bonus slot money does hurt but more importantly is getting the pick right.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Yeah, it's not the end of the world. It's just funny that in years we needed to win...we lost and in years it would actually help us to loose...we win.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    It's gonna really suck in next year's draft when teams like the Rays, Reds or D'Backs pick ahead of us because of these meaningless wins, and select guys we would have loved to have gotten. No you can't just tank, but goddamn you can stop using all your top guys in every friggin inning. Let guys like Ruiz play, and if it means we win one or two less games, he gains experience, and we get a better draft pick. It isn't rocket science.