Page 21 of 36 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: The Reverse Pennant Chase

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    If the people in the organization know what they're doing, they're going to get a good pick at No. 5.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Not your money. Get over it.
    This suggests a fundamental misunderstanding of the draft rules. It has nothing to do with Atlanta's pocketbook. Accumulating talent in the draft is improved by adding to your draft pool, and the consequences of exceeding that pool make doing so unwise. So the Braves are not only losing out on three prospects, but the ability to add an extra top prospect on top of that.

I'm not actually suggesting they should have tried to lose, but I certainly wish they would have lost just one more game after seeing how it all played out.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Not your money. Get over it.
    This is the second time I've seen you say this about either FA money or draft pool money. But while you may not be concerned about it, which is fine, it's not just a problem with someone's perceived wasting of money. It's obvious that most teams, and certainly the Braves, have limited budgets, and for draft pool money, everyone has a limited budget. So it's not taking issue with spending too much for the sake of spending too much, or losing pool money for the sake of not being able to spend more. It's the loss of ability to spend that additional money on another asset that can help the organization.

If someone is upset that we 'spent too much' on someone in FA, it's because we can't then use that money on someone that person deems more helpful. Or in the case of draft pool money, it's because we have less to spend, period, meaning we can't bring in as much talent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts
    So in a few years, you think you'll remember who wound up as the No. 2 pick in the 2017 draft?
    If that pick ends up being a great player, then absolutely you will.

People post on here all the time that the Braves have the best scouting department in baseball. If that's the case, why the hell would you not want them picking at the top of the round in every round?

I'm aware that the baseball draft is unique compared to other sports but I'm still a big believer in short-term tanking for long-term benefit. As an example from another sport, the first year I started watching the Warriors in 2011-2012, they tanked like hell once it became apparent they weren't making the playoffs in an effort to make sure they got a better pick/kept their pick. That pick helped enable them to land 3 players who became crucial to them winning a championship just a few seasons later. Now they've got a potential dynasty. There was some horrible basketball including 5 rookies starting in the last game of the season but in the end, the franchise had an obvious objective and it was much easier to get on board with the suck.

I'm not saying the same thing would happen to the Braves if they had gotten the 2nd pick or even that whoever they choose at 5 won't be good/great/elite/bad/whatever. I am saying though I'd be happy to sacrifice a couple extra weeks of horrible ball in exchange for the opportunity to draft potentially a future franchise caliber player who could lead to years of success. Again, not saying that won't be available at 5 but if the Braves scouting is as great as everyone around here says, I'd love for them to have first or second crack landing that stud player than having to wait for 4 other teams potentially grab that potential franchise player.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    The Braves did not decide to lower their draft pick. They developed their team, and were successful enough to go on a big time streak at the end of the season, beating some very good teams.

I absolutely hated what the Warriors did that year. They should have been penalized as tanking the way they did is clearly against the rules, and makes a travesty of the game.

The Braves young players made a lot of progress during the year. The team made some moves to get better, and it worked. Tanking would have been a slap in the face to a team that worked hard to get better.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mfree80 For This Useful Post:

rico43 (10-03-2016), thewupk (10-02-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    That last win cost the Braves about $3.5M in draft pool money. That is not a trivial thing no matter whose money it is.

It sure was fun watching them play the last month though! I actually cheered, out loud, a few times during the game today. That hasn't happened much the last few years, so it was most welcomed.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 10-02-2016 at 10:12 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

bravesfanMatt (10-03-2016)

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Yea it sucks to lose that money, but I'm not ashamed to say it was worth it to see the way we played the last month of the season. For the first time in a long time, I have optimism for the team and where it's going.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    If you watch baseball only from a baseball ops perspective then why didn't the team just forfeit the game entirely? Take the randomness out of the picture entirely and ensure the second pick.

But if you watch it for entertainment, then how awesome was winning the last game at the Ted? We had 50,000 fans rooting the team on like it was the World Series.

If we end up missing out on the next Manny Machado and we have a slightly less talent second round pick, so be it. It's not worth purposefully losing games.
    I can look at it both ways, can't I? It was a fine baseball game. They won. They sold out and it was a pretty cool day.

Also picking fifth is much worse than picking second.

And they lost 93 games instead of 94.

I mean yes, you could very well miss out on four someones who stand out their final seasons before the draft and they might well end up being franchise players. You also have a lot less money to divvy up amongst the pool which could cost you three or four more better quality prospects.

This organization is still a loser. It needs that kind of talent and rebuilding in a 93 loss season should have still been the intent. Granted, It think they probably hoped they would lose a game or two more. It is just the way it turned out.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    If the people in the organization know what they're doing, they're going to get a good pick at No. 5.
    Let's say for the sake of argument that there are four transcendental players that separate from the rest of the draft. Atlanta now will not be in a position to pick any of them. Yes, the #5 pick should be a good prospect, but that's not really the point. The #5 pick in any draft is thought to be good, but there is certainly a difference in expectation.

I do acknowledge this is a silly thing to argue about now, since it isn't changing. But picking 5 instead of 2 with a 93 loss team is pretty much worse in every respect.

But I did enjoy the game Sunday. Not 3.5 million dollars and three prospects worth, but it was mildly entertaining nonetheless. Swanson with another nice play and I do like that kid.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

CK86 (10-03-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    We all thought that Groome, Lewis, and Pint would be the top 3 picks last draft and they werent. They all fell. So we will get a premium talent at 5.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    We all thought that Groome, Lewis, and Pint would be the top 3 picks last draft and they werent. They all fell. So we will get a premium talent at 5.
    This keeps coming up, but I don't think anyone is arguing with it. We all know that we'll pick a good prospect fifth.

But again, the problem is giving up $3.5 million in pool money to spread through the later rounds.
    Last edited by CJ9; 10-03-2016 at 07:27 AM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

CK86 (10-03-2016)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    We would probably do the same thing we did last year and not pick a person most of us would think would go #2 anyway. This will cost us a good prospect anyway you look at it though.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,292 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    This keeps coming up, but I don't think anyone is arguing with it. We all know that we'll pick a good prospect fifth.

But again, the problem is giving up $3.5 million in pool money to spread through the later rounds.
    Everyone understands the difference between the fifth and second pick. The difference in opinion arises from you and others thinking we missed an opportunity. It's wrong to purposely lose games and obviously the only way that would have happened was to manipulate the roster in order to do it.

Now, if you are content doing that, then your opinion is completely validated, but I think that's cheating to a degree equal to n a player fixing a game because he's got a gamblers interest.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

clvclv (10-03-2016), mfree80 (10-03-2016)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post

The problem is they didn't give up 3.5 million. That would indicate the Braves were losing on purpose and then stopped. Is it unfortunate? Yes. But in the end it's not that big of a deal.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

clvclv (10-03-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Did you watch a minute of the dam game? This might be the most pathetic of the countless loser posts today. You want to follow a team that loses, follow the Yankees.
    Seriously? I watched the whole game. You can disagree with my opinion but that doesn't mean you have to attack others. Grow up.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to NYCBrave For This Useful Post:

CK86 (10-03-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Can we just agree to put this issue to rest? I think everyone is at least a little bummed we fell to 5th, and I think everyone is at least a little excited about the way we finished the year. The difference is only in what side of the discussion you fall closer to, but it's over now and won't change. And I think most understand there was no real way for the Braves to ensure they lost the right number of games.

We have the 5th pick, we don't have the 2nd pick, so can we just move forward now and stop wishing it was different?

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (10-03-2016), mfree80 (10-03-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Not having as much money sucks but I trust our scouting department to get a top 2 pick 5th bc somebody in front of us went the cheap route like we did this year. They'll find a gem in the 2nd round like we did with Soroka and Riley.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Not one person on here would rather pick 5th over 2nd. the difference as Smooth and others stated is how the team got to #5.. We put our best team out there and won games down the stretch. Should we have pitched Jenkins on Sunday? well, that would have probably gotten us the #2... but would that have been right.. how would you feel if we were battling for a WC spot and the team playing the team you are fighting for tossed out a scrub to improve their own draft.. What if next year the Braves need the Giants to loose on Sunday and the Dbacks toss a scrub lineup against them and we miss the playoffs.

I am sorry. I just think we did the right thing and watching a team that will mostly be in place next year perform the way they did against a very good tigers team is far more enjoyable that picking #2..

27. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

mfree80 (10-03-2016)

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CK86 View Post
    If that pick ends up being a great player, then absolutely you will.

People post on here all the time that the Braves have the best scouting department in baseball. If that's the case, why the hell would you not want them picking at the top of the round in every round?

Because that means you are losing more than anyone else in baseball.

I'm aware that the baseball draft is unique compared to other sports but I'm still a big believer in short-term tanking for long-term benefit. As an example from another sport, the first year I started watching the Warriors in 2011-2012, they tanked like hell once it became apparent they weren't making the playoffs in an effort to make sure they got a better pick/kept their pick. That pick helped enable them to land 3 players who became crucial to them winning a championship just a few seasons later. Now they've got a potential dynasty. There was some horrible basketball including 5 rookies starting in the last game of the season but in the end, the franchise had an obvious objective and it was much easier to get on board with the suck.

And it obviously affects your thinking.

I'm not saying the same thing would happen to the Braves if they had gotten the 2nd pick or even that whoever they choose at 5 won't be good/great/elite/bad/whatever. I am saying though I'd be happy to sacrifice a couple extra weeks of horrible ball in exchange for the opportunity to draft potentially a future franchise caliber player who could lead to years of success. Again, not saying that won't be available at 5 but if the Braves scouting is as great as everyone around here says, I'd love for them to have first or second crack landing that stud player than having to wait for 4 other teams potentially grab that potential franchise player.
    Do you not remember all the needless drama this year about the third pick, and who the Braves did and didn't select? Draft history (see, Trout, Steve) shows that franchise players are available just about anywhere you pick in the first round. The Braves in years past have missed a few that were out there, to be certain. Doubt that happens in coming years.

I will say that it was important that we stay in the top five, since that pick is protected if you sign a big ticket free agent. Mission accomplished, as far as I'm concerned. We've got the top five pick and a few weeks of unforgettable baseball.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Not one person on here would rather pick 5th over 2nd. the difference as Smooth and others stated is how the team got to #5.. We put our best team out there and won games down the stretch. Should we have pitched Jenkins on Sunday? well, that would have probably gotten us the #2... but would that have been right.. how would you feel if we were battling for a WC spot and the team playing the team you are fighting for tossed out a scrub to improve their own draft.. What if next year the Braves need the Giants to loose on Sunday and the Dbacks toss a scrub lineup against them and we miss the playoffs.

I am sorry. I just think we did the right thing and watching a team that will mostly be in place next year perform the way they did against a very good tigers team is far more enjoyable that picking #2..
    Personally, I'd rather pick between 30-32 every year, if you get my drift. Huh. Almost wrote "if you get my draft."