Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,513 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Kinda glad Little Finger got his. His whole sctick was getting old.
    That's because the writers got lazy with him. He was the instigator of this whole thing. He became an idiot this season.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-28-2017)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Uh, yeah. But I asked you why. Why would he have a problem with that?
    He recognizes the strategic complications it brings? I don't really buy the envy angle, so I have to assume that's it—though I assume we're meant to wonder all during the interim between seasons.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory BlackwaterPark's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    That's because the writers got lazy with him. He was the instigator of this whole thing. He became an idiot this season.
    He was out of his depth in this new world. He can't fight with or control whats happening now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,513 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    He recognizes the strategic complications it brings? I don't really buy the envy angle, so I have to assume that's it—though I assume we're meant to wonder all during the interim between seasons.
    I'm suspicious of that meeting we didn't get to see conclude between him and Cersei. He was acting really strange after that. Watch him when he walks back out to the meeting grounds and in the war room.

He knows that the baby is the only chance the Lannister line has of continuing, and we didn't see any of the conversation after he learned that bit of information.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (08-29-2017), Tapate50 (08-28-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    I wouldn't think they get blindsided by Euron and the Golden Company coming in... Surely Tyrion wouldn't think his sister is being true.

Also- CY if Tyrion had a child he could continue the line himself? No?
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,513 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    I wouldn't think they get blindsided by Euron and the Golden Company coming in... Surely Tyrion wouldn't think his sister is being true.

Also- CY if Tyrion had a child he could continue the line himself? No?
    Sure. I'm sure his wife Sansa would love to bear his children.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    I'm suspicious of that meeting we didn't get to see conclude between him and Cersei. He was acting really strange after that. Watch him when he walks back out to the meeting grounds and in the war room.

He knows that the baby is the only chance the Lannister line has of continuing, and we didn't see any of the conversation after he learned that bit of information.
    Yea, I think there's clearly something there—and it may or may not connect with his corner-creeping at the end of the episode—but it's difficult to surmise what it might be (and, especially, how it might connect). Moreover, given Cersei's unceremonious dismissal of Jaime (and I think she ironically came closer to ordering his execution than Tyrion's), Jaime-less machinations with Tyrion strain credulity. So, there seems like there's a potential bombshell there, but I'd imagine (unlike Jon's true parentage) it's out of left-field and not (yet) been lampshaded.

Side note: Is Tyrion sterile? That may be a biographical detail I missed or forgot; but, if not, Cersei's child is not necessarily the only chance of prolonging the Lannister line—and certainly they married him off to Sansa in the hopes of creating a power-consolidation (which usually requires progeny) I still doubt that his virility has anything to do with Khaleesi (or probably even Sansa, at this point, for that matter), but it seems like it's nevertheless relevant when discussing a Lannister dead-end.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Sure. I'm sure his wife Sansa would love to bear his children.
    She's a changed and wiser woman. Maybe the brutality of Ramsay, amongst the other slings and arrows, has warmed her heart/loins to the gentility Tyrion showed her during their brief time together.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,513 Posts
    Yea, I think there's clearly something there—and it may or may not connect with his corner-creeping at the end of the episode—but it's difficult to surmise what it might be (and, especially, how it might connect). Moreover, given Cersei's unceremonious dismissal of Jaime (and I think she ironically came closer to ordering his execution than Tyrion's), Jaime-less machinations with Tyrion strain credulity. So, there seems like there's a potential bombshell there, but I'd imagine (unlike Jon's true parentage) it's out of left-field and not (yet) been lampshaded.

Side note: Is Tyrion sterile? That may be a biographical detail I missed or forgot; but, if not, Cersei's child is not necessarily the only chance of prolonging the Lannister line—and certainly they married him off to Sansa in the hopes of creating a power-consolidation (which usually requires progeny) I still doubt that his virility has anything to do with Khaleesi (or probably even Sansa, at this point, for that matter), but it seems like it's nevertheless relevant when discussing a Lannister dead-end.
    I'm not sure it would really be in-character for him there to actually be something there (regarding a deal between him and Cersei). But, I wouldn't put it past the writers at this point. They seem more interested in plot twists and fan service than realistic character development and well-developed plot threads. It should be interesting though.
    Last edited by CyYoung31; 08-28-2017 at 02:07 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,513 Posts
    She's a changed and wiser woman. Maybe the brutality of Ramsay, amongst the other slings and arrows, has warmed her heart/loins to the gentility Tyrion showed her during their brief time together.
    She deserves better than Tyrion's alcoholic self-loathing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    She deserves better than Tyrion's alcoholic self-loathing.
    She's emerged as a cynical realist; from that perspective, she could do a lot worse than Tyrion.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

CyYoung31 (08-28-2017), Dalyn (08-29-2017), Tapate50 (08-28-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    I'm not sure it would really be in-character for him there to actually be something there (regarding a deal between him and Cersei). But, I wouldn't put it past the writers at this point. They seem more interested in plot twists and fan service than realistic character development and well-developed plot threads. It should be interesting though.
    I definitely agree, which is why I said it would strain credulity. I think it's much more likely that what we missed was some key detail, rather the formations of a deal—though, as you've said, some of the writing choices have strained credulity recently, so anything's possible.

And on that credulity note, I'm fine with little things like the Gendry Sprint—they weren't supposed to be too far from Eastwatch, anyways. It's more things like Jaime only now deciding to bail on Cersei, when it hasn't been clear for a full season—even before he knew about the pregnancy—why he was still hanging around King's Landing. Or the Stark children's ploy, which seems like it could've been effected a couple episodes ago, saving us the ham-fisted bait-and-switch of the sisters' (presumably staged) disagreements and threats. In both cases (along with Sam conveniently showing up to make Bran understand it's not as simple as Snow-to-Sand), it just seems like the show was obsessed with "saving" things for the season finale, when they used to be entirely comfortable dropping big news and events mid-season, or at least episode 9.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

CyYoung31 (08-28-2017), Dalyn (08-29-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,513 Posts
    I definitely agree, which is why I said it would strain credulity. I think it's much more likely that what we missed was some key detail, rather the formations of a deal—though, as you've said, some of the writing choices have strained credulity recently, so anything's possible.

And on that credulity note, I'm fine with little things like the Gendry Sprint—they weren't supposed to be too far from Eastwatch, anyways. It's more things like Jaime only now deciding to bail on Cersei, when it hasn't been clear for a full season—even before he knew about the pregnancy—why he was still hanging around King's Landing. Or the Stark children's ploy, which seems like it could've been effected a couple episodes ago, saving us the ham-fisted bait-and-switch of the sisters' (presumably staged) disagreements and threats. In both cases (along with Sam conveniently showing up to make Bran understand it's not as simple as Snow-to-Sand), it just seems like the show was obsessed with "saving" things for the season finale, when they used to be entirely comfortable dropping big news and events mid-season, or at least episode 9.
    You nailed everything.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,289 Posts
    Any thoughts on why Lyanna Stark broke her oath of betrothal to Robert to marry Rhaegar?

If it was simply a matter of love then that was rather selfious of her considering what it did to the realm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Any thoughts on why Lyanna Stark broke her oath of betrothal to Robert to marry Rhaegar?

If it was simply a matter of love then that was rather selfious of her considering what it did to the realm.
    Women, man. Women.
    Ivermectin Man

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (08-28-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,513 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post

It seems the current batch of Starks are much better people than their predecessors (aside from Ned, though he wasn't very smart).

My only theory is that it was an arranged marriage with Robert, and akin to Robb Stark, she was like, "**** that." And it screwed everyone.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (08-29-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,289 Posts
    It seems the current batch of Starks are much better people than their predecessors (aside from Ned, though he wasn't very smart).

My only theory is that it was an arranged marriage with Robert, and akin to Robb Stark, she was like, "**** that." And it screwed everyone.
    The only other thought I have is that she had the greensight and she saw the importance of having Jon with Rhaegar.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts

But that's sort of a recurring theme in the narrative—pursuing real love versus not screwing everyone / everything up—so it's probably a pretty good theory.

And it is, moreover, a tension could that potentially bubble up at the coming Sansa/Tyrion reunion—certainly a consummated Stark/Lannister marriage would be strategically helpful to both houses, if Tyrion hopes to reclaim his house from his mad sister—as well as illuminate whatever windfall there is from that coupling of everyone's favorite sexy aunt and nephew.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    The Olivera trade was still worse than the dragon for a white walker trade.

26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (08-29-2017), Dalyn (08-29-2017), goldfly (08-28-2017), jpx7 (08-31-2017), Tapate50 (08-29-2017), The Chosen One (01-25-2019), thewupk (08-28-2017)

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    best line:

"Seems every bad idea has some Lannister c.unt behind it."
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (08-29-2017), Dalyn (08-29-2017), jpx7 (08-31-2017)