Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    As far as goodbyes go...well, goodbyes suck. At least this one is only a partial. We still have the books and get that ending. Martin can be the hero, if he wants. Or he can give us the exact same thing and make us love it, proving his skill. I'll take either or a mixture.

Since this is a goodbye for my favorite show, I'll focus on the things I liked about the finale. I cried when Jon and Arya said goodbye. I cried when Brienne had to finish Jaime's story. Could any of us ask more than that? For the final words about us to be written by someone who loved us, and who knew and understand the best parts of us. That eased SOME of the pain I felt at the Jaime ending. Dany had perhaps the best shot in the whole series, when the dragon unfurled its wings behind her. Beautiful. Emilia also acted her ass off this episode. When she was talking to Jon, I didn't want her to die. I thought of all she'd gone through, and I almost understood how she could come to such a conclusion. And she doesn't get to decide, but everyone else does? Screw that. Sophia also acted her ass off, and if there is any character they improved from the books, it is her. She was fierce by the end, and she deserved the North. I'm glad she took it. Drogon made my heart hurt, and s/he revealed such intelligence by burning the throne. Dany's baby understood FAR more than any of us realized. I hope s/he had some magic left to heal Dany. She deserved better. All she needed was to be loved well, and Jon screwed that ALL up. I also would (obviously) watch the hell out of an Arya spinoff. We deserve that ****. I enjoyed some of the humor, too. It felt like the first season in that regard. There was also a note of the more things change the more they stay the same. I don't know how I feel about that. I want to believe things change; people change. Maybe they don't.

I think that covers all the things I liked about the ending. I ended the series loving Arya, Jaime, Sansa, Brienne, Bronn, Davos, Drogon, and all our wonderful direwolves. I also loved many along the way and mourned their passing. In the end, I loved Dany, too, and I wanted better for her. Life was not fair to her, but life is not fair.

My final thoughts? The Queen is dead, **** the king. All hail the North. And Westereros...may it be everything Arya, our Warrior Princess, desires.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    I hope there are therapists north of the wall, because Jon is going to need lots of it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (05-28-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Individual-1 View Post
    I think people have underestimated how smart the Dragons are. Drogon burned the Iron Throne because he knew it was the cause of all the pain and madness.

I also think the dragons could smell Targaryen blood in Jon from the getgo.

As for the servants, I mean Dany respawned a thousand Unsullied and few hundred Dothraki somehow. So there's that.
    Yes, that was a bit of head scratcher. The dragon burned the Iron Throne because it knew his mother's quest for power is what really killed her? That's a little much for me. So it now feels guilty for torching King's Landing? Quite an enlightened dragon.
    Last edited by Runnin; 05-20-2019 at 09:17 PM.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Now that Jamie is gone, Jon is the new Queenslayer.
    Ivermectin Man

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    Yes, that was a bit of head scratcher. The dragon burned the Iron Throne because it knew his mother's quest for power is what really killed her? That's a little much for me. So it now feels guilty for torching King's Landing? Quite an enlightened dragon.
    Or, if the Mother of Dragons cannot sit upon it, no one can. Could be that.

And Jon Snow, unlike Jamie Lannister, took his medicine and went north after slaying the queen. I think as we look back on the series as a whole, for all the things they did, the Starks were the truly noble family. Some are disappointed by the ending (especially Senator Kirsten Gillibrand), but in a narrative sense, the story (at least the television series) came full circle. The Starks are the first family and the last family we leave.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    I generally like all of the series end points (besides Bran; though I think his character will be much better served in the novels due to the added runway and the fact he will be separated from the mediocre acting performance). Jon killing Dany is tragic in the best way and this plot will be much better served with more setup.

Kudos to D&D. They lost their way some at the end, but from a macro lens this series was an enormous achievement. With the myriad of mediocre high/low fantasy television shows out there, Game of Thrones stands heads and shoulders above. George should receive the lion’s share of credit, but those two receive enormous praise for envisioning an adaptation in this format working. I believe once we have the books, that people will be more forgiving of the short cuts taken in later seasons. I’m excited for their take on the Star Wars universe.

But most of all I am very eager to read the next two books. This series and Harry Potter are the preeminent stories of this generation and I’m thrilled to see how George ends the story.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I generally like all of the series end points (besides Bran; though I think his character will be much better served in the novels due to the added runway and the fact he will be separated from the mediocre acting performance). Jon killing Dany is tragic in the best way and this plot will be much better served with more setup.

Kudos to D&D. They lost their way some at the end, but from a macro lens this series was an enormous achievement. With the myriad of mediocre high/low fantasy television shows out there, Game of Thrones stands heads and shoulders above. George should receive the lion’s share of credit, but those two receive enormous praise for envisioning an adaptation in this format working. I believe once we have the books, that people will be more forgiving of the short cuts taken in later seasons. I’m excited for their take on the Star Wars universe.

But most of all I am very eager to read the next two books. This series and Harry Potter are the preeminent stories of this generation and I’m thrilled to see how George ends the story.
    I assume like 90% of GoT viewers have never read the books. So this is the only closure they'll get. Lol.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,709 Posts
    I listened to most on audio book performed by Roy Dotrice. His attempt at womens voices is.... something. I find the books extremely dry. I cant take the absurd amount of detail he goes into. I dont need a whole paragraph to describe the food GRRM! If I actually physically read a book I tend to speed read and thats just a nightmare with his books.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    I just came here to say **** Harry Potter.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

11. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-05-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,278 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    I just came here to say **** Harry Potter.
    Why the hate for HP? I think they are great books even tough aimed at younger audience.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to TURBO For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (05-30-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TURBO View Post
    Why the hate for HP? I think they are great books even tough aimed at younger audience.
    I can see why a lot of people don't like them. I enjoy reading them but I know they are meant for kids. That's fine with me because my first reading love was the Hardy Boys Mystery Series, which aren't that unlike the Harry Potter books, without the magic.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    They are fantastic books, in several different ways. She doesn't get enough credit for what she did for reading.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts

You only need to liver another 1900 years or so, when the computer into which Martin's brain will have been uploaded finally stops navel gazing long enough to complete the final book.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,709 Posts
    Harry Potter is infinitely more fun to read than ASOIAF. Unless you like reading about food or diarrhea.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    I know I'm in the minority on this these days, and this is going to sound way harsher than what I really feel, but I can't seem to find better phrasing: I just don'y get what grown folks now get out of consuming children's entertainment. Whether its reading Harry Potter, watching the latest cartoon, or watching Caped Flying Man XXXIV, they're all shallow, formulaic, derivative, predictable morality plays. I just cannot understand the appeal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Rewatching this show.

Comes off well upon the rewatch
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Oh and the best character in the whole show is Tormund. There is no other answer
    Ivermectin Man

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Hbo should pony up and bring the show back. The prequels won’t do half as good as the originals did.

if the Masters of Air and LoTR tv shows each have budgets over $500,000,000, hbo could do it too.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    Hbo should pony up and bring the show back. The prequels won’t do half as good as the originals did.

if the Masters of Air and LoTR tv shows each have budgets over $500,000,000, hbo could do it too.
    Most people speculate that number ofr Lord of the Rings is too high. They believe that 500M is including the fee Amazon paid for the rights. They're spending a ton of money, but 250M for 8 episodes just means it's the new The Pacific, which in 2010 cost 200M to make 10 episodes. Of course 250M is more than 200, but inflation. The rumor is that Amazon is saying it costs 500M for tax purposes because they've already signed a multi-season commitment for the show IIRC.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    I'm extremely nervous for the lotr series. Huge fan of all things Tolkien.