Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Bran has moved so far ahead in my least favorite character race. I wish Arya would've waited about five more seconds. I honestly thought it was going to happen after the death blow and while the NK was having some kind of Ice and Fire quickening (Highlander), so he was basically disabled for a minute.

Still...what an amazing moment. I screamed noooooooooooo when he caught her by the throat, and then she dropped the knife and the cheering started. This moment had the same level of emotion as the Red Wedding, in many ways, but in a positive way, and the viewers deserved that. It's why I don't mind that not as many beloved characters died this episode. We deserve our own Red Wedding moments. The enemy has had more than their fill.

And now the throne, at last. Sometimes the journey to a goal is filled with so much hardship and struggle that the goal itself no longer seems to matter, but we are still left with the memory of that desire. The ache. So you go on, because what else can you do.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-30-2019)

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    908 Posts
    Glad to see the Night King storyline come to an end. I would have liked a richer Night King backstory given how long this arc lasted. They invested so much time into a mute super villain and in the end he gets into a staring contest with a cripple and knifed by a 90 lb teenage girl. Ok. I’m pumped to get three more episodes about characters who are actually compelling and interesting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Exactly. George killed his characters to grow other characters. Ned had to die to set Arya off on her journey to become a faceless man. Oberyn died so that Tyrion would be condemned which resulted in he killing Tywin and setting sail to Essos. The Red Wedding, while emotional, ultimately involved side characters who never truly mattered to the end game (plus whatever role LSH has to play). At this point if D&D kill Tyrion in the crypts, what does that accomplish? All it does is abruptly end his arc while that character is at its lowest moment. I don’t see how it catalyzes other characters to develop with so little time. At this point in the story, the major deaths (e.g., not Edd) that occur have to occur after a characters arc has been completed or that character has no further role to play. Why fans desire death for the illusion of consequence astounds me..

With that said, I do not see what purpose Tormund and Grey Worm serve at this point (other than being the representative face of their faction), so sure they could have died this past episode. But to me that only serves the purpose of satisfying the bloodlust of fans and ultimately doesn’t quite meaningfully progress the story.

I’m a huge fan of the book series and a optimist that GRRM will finish his life’s work. I know many book readers haven’t been satisfied with D&D, but to me the show’s purpose is to tell the story of Game of Thrones, not A Song of Ice and Fire. Maybe I’m oversimplifying the criticism, but it seems most fans are disappointed because they truly believe this is the only ending will ever get and if that’s the case then I understand why this is so upsetting.
    How did we get on the subject of killing characters off? Everyone understands that killing important characters off requires them completing their arc and/or acting as a catalyst for other events.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    How did we get on the subject of killing characters off? Everyone understands that killing important characters off requires them completing their arc and/or acting as a catalyst for other events.
    I'm not that invested, but I can see how one could contend that the story arcs for Tormund and Brienne have been completed.

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I'm not that invested, but I can see how one could contend that the story arcs for Tormund and Brienne have been completed.
    I was shocked they made it out of Ep 3. I thought even Jaime could be vulnerable, though there are still loose ends for him to tie in Kings Landing.

Assuming the Night King is done and dusted, I’m fascinated to see how this story ends for so many characters when it seems like they should have completed their arcs alongside that storyline.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    I agree. But killing off Tyrion and Sansa in the last episode doesn’t really serve a purpose with how the Night King plot ended. I would argue that Jaime should’ve been killed by Cersei at the end of season 7, as I believe his arc ended with him getting out from Cersei’s grasp. His face turn had completed, and now he’s just a likeable character with no development.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    I agree. But killing off Tyrion and Sansa in the last episode doesn’t really serve a purpose with how the Night King plot ended. I would argue that Jaime should’ve been killed by Cersei at the end of season 7, as I believe his arc ended with him getting out from Cersei’s grasp. His face turn had completed, and now he’s just a likeable character with no development.
    Killing Cersei, ostensibly pregnant with his child, for the good of the realm could punctuate his arc (and really further burnish his “Kingslayer” bona fides).
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (05-01-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    I would say it’s been one of the primary criticism of the show in recent seasons (and one that multiple posters cited in commentary of the episode).

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Agree. Like I said earlier, Tyrion had to show his true colors, which he did. Little Lyanna is out there battling a giant, but Tyrion--whom I have generally liked as a character--showed himself to be all mouth. I think Sansa has unfinished business with both Cersei and Daenerys, so that's what probably keeps that going. I just think we will see all of the remaining majors--Jon, Arya, Sansa, Cersei, Jamie, Tyrion, and Daenerys--make it to the final episode. I was hoping that Grey Worm would meet his end.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Agree. Like I said earlier, Tyrion had to show his true colors, which he did. Little Lyanna is out there battling a giant, but Tyrion--whom I have generally liked as a character--showed himself to be all mouth. I think Sansa has unfinished business with both Cersei and Daenerys, so that's what probably keeps that going. I just think we will see all of the remaining majors--Jon, Arya, Sansa, Cersei, Jamie, Tyrion, and Daenerys--make it to the final episode. I was hoping that Grey Worm would meet his end.
    Grey Worm and Tormund serve zero purpose to the story now, but that doesn’t mean they have to die. However, killing one or both off in the battle would’ve added more weight to it.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Grey Worm and Tormund serve zero purpose to the story now, but that doesn’t mean they have to die. However, killing one or both off in the battle would’ve added more weight to it.
    Again, I haven't read the books past A Feast for Crows, so I don't know if a romance for Grey Worm is necessarily laid out in Martin's version of events. Of course, even with no Grey Worm Junior below the belt line, Grey Worm can have a rewarding sexual relationship with Missandrei as outlined in this article from Vulture: https://www.vulture.com/2015/05/grey...-weigh-in.html. Interesting side story in the "love knows no bounds" vein, but it really has nothing to do with the primary narrative and I found it distracting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,709 Posts
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Absolutely disgusting.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-03-2019)

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Nothing about last nights episode? I thought it was okay. Two deaths I didn’t see coming

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,278 Posts
    Wasn't bad, but weakest this season so far. Writing felt kind of off

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    The Bronn stuff was stupid.

Also don’t like the forced romance of Jaime and Brienne.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,278 Posts
    Although I would totally watch a spinoff series following the adventures if the Hound and Arya

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    The Bronn stuff was stupid.

Also don’t like the forced romance of Jaime and Brienne.
    It is set up so much better in the books. Not forced at all. Also hasn't happened yet, but still.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    The writing is getting pretty bad as they try to finish the series.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (05-07-2019)

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    At the end when Daenerys and her soldiers we standing in front of Cersei and her castle, Daenerys had like 50 soldiers with her. Cersei could demolished them within minutes and she would had won the throne