Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Robert Fick/David Ortiz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts

Robert Fick/David Ortiz

Hey you guys remember when we needed a cheap first baseman after the 2002 season? I remember many on the board wanted Ortiz and we were reported to have at least inquired about signing him.... but instead we chose Robert Fick... fun times!

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Hey you guys remember when we needed a cheap first baseman after the 2002 season? I remember many on the board wanted Ortiz and we were reported to have at least inquired about signing him.... but instead we chose Robert Fick... fun times!
    Hmmm. My recollection is we made $1M offers to both and said "First one to accept gets it." Fick's agent called back first.

Ooops!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mfree80 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (07-25-2016)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts

Even worse is his salary was only 12.5 mil a year from 2007-2011, so it's not like he would have been crazy expensive to keep.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    In our defense... Ortiz looked like he had potential back then, but he was a late bloomer... he was a solid player, but nothing by 2002 suggested he would be the superstar he's turned into today. Of course we don't know how much PEDs were involved...

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    I was one of those in the camp of wanting Ortiz, watching him hit everyday in Minnesota I was pretty sure he was going to be an offensive force once he got out of Gardenhire's mismanagement. That being said we have no idea how Ortiz would have done in Atlanta, having to play first base everyday. I don't know if he would have held up to the demands, as well as I think he would have been a negative on defense, but make no mistake about it in the short term Ortiz should have been the priority.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Millwood1Hitter View Post
    I was one of those in the camp of wanting Ortiz, watching him hit everyday in Minnesota I was pretty sure he was going to be an offensive force once he got out of Gardenhire's mismanagement. That being said we have no idea how Ortiz would have done in Atlanta, having to play first base everyday. I don't know if he would have held up to the demands, as well as I think he would have been a negative on defense, but make no mistake about it in the short term Ortiz should have been the priority.
    There's no doubt that being able to be a DH extended his career much longer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,524 Posts
    There's no doubt that being able to be a DH extended his career much longer.
    That, and having that massive wall in left field to bank off of.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Don't forget Travis Lee, who was also much more effective than Fick
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

10. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

NinersSBChamps (07-24-2016)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    One of those woulda/coulda/shoulda situations that started popping up a couple of years after the Fick fiasco. Going off memory I believe Ortiz credited some of the coaches in Boston at the time of his turnaround. That being said I doubt he would of been a HOF hitter had he come to Atlanta.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Not to mention we would not have kept him past the contract.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    My goodness if Papi was on that 2003 offense.

Furcal
    Giles
    Sheffield
    Chipper
    D. Ortiz
    Javy
    Andruw
    Castilla
    R. Ortiz
    Forever Fredi

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    One of those woulda/coulda/shoulda situations that started popping up a couple of years after the Fick fiasco. Going off memory I believe Ortiz credited some of the coaches in Boston at the time of his turnaround. That being said I doubt he would of been a HOF hitter had he come to Atlanta.
    While I understand your point, I think people often make statements like that, not because they are necessarily true, but to express appreciation for coaches they have worked with. It is unfair to say he became great because of something a coach noticed that no other coach would have ever noticed.

It is great that he got along well with his hitting coaches... but it is much more likely that he matured as a hitter and figured it out. Guys do get better. Happens often with young guys, and sometimes even with guys who are a little older (in baseball years).

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Ef him and his cheating ways.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    While I understand your point, I think people often make statements like that, not because they are necessarily true, but to express appreciation for coaches they have worked with. It is unfair to say he became great because of something a coach noticed that no other coach would have ever noticed.

It is great that he got along well with his hitting coaches... but it is much more likely that he matured as a hitter and figured it out. Guys do get better. Happens often with young guys, and sometimes even with guys who are a little older (in baseball years).
    I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. But I do feel it was a certain set of circumstances in Boston that led him to being the hitter he is/was. Fenway has a habit of making hitters like Ortiz really good.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory BlackwaterPark's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    My goodness if Papi was on that 2003 offense.

Furcal
    Giles
    Sheffield
    Chipper
    D. Ortiz
    Javy
    Andruw
    Castilla
    R. Ortiz
    That would have been insane. We could have had 22 Hr's from our 8 hitter haha

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Your memory is wrong. They offered 3 first baseman contracts and Fick was the first to accept so they didn't wait around on Ortiz.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    Ef him and his cheating ways.
    Any evidence he cheated?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Millwood1Hitter View Post
    Actually, it was Kelly who screwed him up. Gardenhire saved his career. Kelly hated Ortiz and wanted him banished to AAA, but then Kelly's dad got sick. Kelly went to be with his father and in his absence, Gardenhire put Ortiz in the line-up and Ortiz hit enough to stick around. The handwriting was on the wall for him in Minnesota, so he lasted for another season (Gardenhire's first) and was part of a pretty good team. But with Kelly still whispering in Terry Ryan's ear, Ortiz was released in December, 2002.

As I recall, the Braves put $1 million on the table and offered it to Fick, Ortiz, and Travis Lee. Fick jumped on it. Ortiz actually got a bit more by waiting ($1.25 MM) to sign with the Red Sox. Travis Lee signed with Tampa Bay for $500,000 and had a much better year than Fick did with the Braves.

I think Ortiz ended up where he should have. He's probably the worst first baseman I've ever watched and for those of us who watched David Justice try to play the position back in 1990 for the Braves, that's saying a lot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Your memory is wrong. They offered 3 first baseman contracts and Fick was the first to accept so they didn't wait around on Ortiz.
    I think you missed the whole point of the post... go back to where you've been hiding in Nationals land please.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Any evidence he cheated?

Failed test(s).