Thread: 2016 Trade Deadline Rumors and Moves

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Agreed on biggest winners.

Biggest losers are probably the Braves. They didn't improve themselves at all for the future in one of the best sellers markets in a decade. The market was so good the Yankees became sellers for the first time I can remember, yet the Braves decided to hold onto Teheran, JJ and Viz. And before anyone blabbers about Viz being injured, Hill hasn't pitched for 2 weeks and still got the As a nice package, so save that tired argument.

I do wonder if the Rays getting Duffy makes Longoria available this offseason. I know better to get my hopes up though.
    You don't trade Viz right now, his value is way too low, he's not a FA. If teams aren't going to pony up for JT, you kind of have to keep him as much as I was hoping he'd get us a big bat.

I don't get why JJ wasn't traded.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    Why are people concerned that the Giants gave up too much? Duffy is a nice player, but he isn't a difference maker. The Giants churn out players like him a dime a dozen. Oh no they traded a prospect! They are untouchable around these parts, but smart teams like the Giants don't limit themselves to strictly possibilities down the road. Moore even furthers their starting rotation. Their starting 1-4 is pretty great with Bum, Cueto, Samardzjia, and now Moore.

Neith Samardzjia or Moore are all that great.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Neith Samardzjia or Moore are all that great.
    Shark isn't. The jury is still out on Moore. He's been very good lately and will benefit from being in the NL. It's way too early after TJS, he's still way too young, and has been pitching too good lately to say he's not all that great

4. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (08-01-2016)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,798 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post

They're holding onto Julio cuz no one is willing to meet the asking price for the 580th time. You dont trade him for a decent package, thats retarded.
    Yes... you have said it 580 times but it doesn't make it true.

The only evidence we have is copy saying 580 times that we are absolutely not trading Teheran.

And we didn't

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Oh you are just a delight
    So you disagree? You think the Braves did well?

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Yes... you have said it 580 times but it doesn't make it true.

The only evidence we have is copy saying 580 times that we are absolutely not trading Teheran.

And we didn't
    If a team offered a Swanson type deal, yeah he'd be traded.

It doesnt make much sense to trade him for a B+ package.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

mfree80 (08-01-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    The biggest losers are the Giants, Marlins, and Indians, IMO. They all made moves that don't really help enough and gave up too much. Miller helps the Indians far more than the Giants' and Marlins' pieces, but it was just too high a price. They were set up so well moving forward and just compromised part of that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,798 Posts
    I see Liriano was traded to Blue Jays... I would have liked the Braves to buy low on him... reasonable short term contract and could rebound and be very valuable in the future.

If we're trying to "compete" without giving up major pieces, he would have been a good starter to acquire

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,798 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    If a team offered a Swanson type deal, yeah he'd be traded.

It doesnt make much sense to trade him for a B+ package.
    You can say this... but there's no evidence to support it being true.

All we know is coppy was adamant about not trading him for anything. He didn't.

I find it hard believe we couldn't have gotten a great haul after seeing what some of these pitchers went for.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Shark isn't. The jury is still out on Moore. He's been very good lately and will benefit from being in the NL. It's way too early after TJS, he's still way too young, and has been pitching too good lately to say he's not all that great
    Moore was overrated before the surgery and hasn't returned to that form yet. He'll get helped by SF for sure, but so does any pitcher.

Moore has a career 3.88 ERA with 4.16 FIP. He could improve for sure and its not a terrible deal for them, but he's nothing more than a average 3/4 starter right now. If he's not going to strike out a ton of guys, he needs to stop giving up flyballs/homers and lower the walk rat (which he's some pretty well so far this year)
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    So you disagree? You think the Braves did well?
    You can't call us the loser of the trade deadline based on assumptions. This isn't a case like the Phillies, who held onto pieces that were aging and not going to contribute to anything meaningful. We still have a 25-year-old SP under control for 4 more years for quite cheap. And we can still easily trade him in the offseason, when the market for pitching won't really get any worse.

I understand if people are disappointed, but some need to chill out. Every time the FO doesn't do something we want (usually based on assumptions), we freak out as though we're clueless.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    You can say this... but there's no evidence to support it being true.

All we know is coppy was adamant about not trading him for anything. He didn't.

I find it hard believe we couldn't have gotten a great haul after seeing what some of these pitchers went for.
    He wasn't adamant initially. It's likely he only became adamant after he saw what other teams were offering and decided he wasn't going to entertain letting him go for packages like that and was also using that to see if teams would significantly increase their offers.

Anyone who thinks he shut down any talks with other teams is kind of insane.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,798 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    He wasn't adamant initially. It's likely he only became adamant after he saw what other teams were offering and decided he wasn't going to entertain letting him go for packages like that and was also using that to see if teams would significantly increase their offers.

Some of the comments from Coppy make him sound insane.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Some of the comments from Coppy make him sound insane.
    Probably why you shouldn't believe them.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    The Yanks owned us at the deadline and now loaded with assets, they will also have an upper hand at the winter meetings that we plan to be so active in. They have made some nice moves, but they really blew it today. Now we have to wait to bring up any AAA guys until Sept because we still have all these highly regarded vets. I can not find one positive from today.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post

Or do you think it's more likely they decided to put on the illusion of trying to win in 2017 to help with ticket sales going into the new ballpark? DOB's latest tweets (the mouthpiece of the Braves) sure seem to paint that picture as pretty likely. The acquisition of Matt Kemp, a "name" player who didn't cost much to acquire because he is terrible, is another bit of evidence. Then we get a fluff piece about how happy Kemp is to be a Braves, and the predictable reactions from clueless fans about how that means he will suddenly be a new player.

There isn't a single unbiased analysis website that thinks it was a good idea to hold onto Teheran, even the ones that didn't value him very highly. I thought it was a good idea to hold onto him if the Braves got above average players at LF, 3B, C and a MOR starter, but the Kemp trade signals that obviously isn't happening.

So at the end of the day, the Braves are going to be awful again in 2017, and waste another valuable year of Teheran's control.

Well played Coppy! Well played sir!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

NinersSBChamps (08-01-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Teams passed on Sale and Archer in addition to Teheran. The contending teams made the judgment it made more sense for them to go after a lower tier of starting pitching and to improve their pens. They simply saw that as a more cost-efficient way of improving their pitching.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    He was very good pre-injury and is rounding out to form as we speak. You can do much worse than Shark as your 3 or 4 too. He definitely has regressed a bit since he left Chicago.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Teams passed on Sale and Archer in addition to Teheran. The contending teams made the judgment it made more sense for them to go after a lower tier of starting pitching and to improve their pens. They simply saw that as a more cost-efficient way of improving their pitching.
    I'm ok with them keeping Julio. JJ??....I just can't even wrap my brain around that crap.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    I'm afraid it is #2. They have proven with several moves over the last 2 years that they are completely out of touch with what it takes to build a winner at the MLB level.
    They haven't really tried to build a winner at the MLB level.

I don't think they believed they would be good last year or this year and I don't think they intended to try to be.

Not really sure what makes you think they did much to try this past offseason. Pretty clearly broadcast that they were signing short term assets to possibly trade.

I'm not sure they really intend to try next year either as it looks like they may be unwilling to give up much of significance.

This would be a good thing. They can't possibly contend.