Thread: 2016 Trade Deadline Rumors and Moves

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    http://m.mlb.com/news/article/193317...icid=151437456

This list is actually stupid. Like, this is one of the worst prospect ranking lists I've ever seen.
    Callis is one of the best (if not the best) evaluators. I don't think we are the 9th best (I'm also biased), but I doubt that we are also the best (as seen in KLaw's ranking). We don't have a perfect system. We are light on sure fire prospects outside of Albies and Swanson.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Callis is one of the best (if not the best) evaluators. I don't think we are the 9th best (I'm also biased), but I doubt that we are also the best (as seen in KLaw's ranking). We don't have a perfect system. We are light on sure fire prospects outside of Albies and Swanson.
    He also explains the possibility of shooting up the rankings as well. Its a fair list. He seems to prioritize teams that have guys close to the majors; which does make sense.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    The guys moved at the deadline (or a lot of them) have seen their stock take a hit this year, and yet they are still valued where they started to make this list? He also has Corey Ray at no 35 overall ? A college guy hitting .220 in rookie ball? Hmmm...

Bickford, Brinson, Tate, etc... all scuffling a good bit makes me a bit hesitant to buy in that they had such a coup at the deadline adding those guys.

I thought the 105 mph pitching from Koepch (i apologize in advance for spelling) has been pretty thoroughly debunked at this point...making him much less of a hot topic.
    Last edited by Tapate50; 08-03-2016 at 01:15 PM.
    Ivermectin Man

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    He had us at #2 before the season, and after adding one of the best international crops along with Anderson/Wentz/Muller and Demerettie - he now has us at 9th....

lol. OK.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Preacher For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-03-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    He also explains the possibility of shooting up the rankings as well. Its a fair list. He seems to prioritize teams that have guys close to the majors; which does make sense.
    And yet at the beginning of the season he had the Braves at #2, so he didn't seem to prioritize the teams with guys closest to the majors then.... I have no probs with Callis, I think he's usually pretty good.

But I have a hard time seeing how the Braves drop from #2 to #9 in such a short time when you look at the talent they added during the international period and the draft.

And while some players haven't met high expectations, others such as Touki/Wiegel/Cruz/Pache/Peterson have stepped up.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    He had us at #2 before the season, and after adding one of the best international crops along with Anderson/Wentz/Muller and Demerettie - he now has us at 9th....

lol. OK.
    Look at how our pitching prospects have performed this year. Newcomb, Banuelos, Bird, Allard, Toussaint. We've had a couple lower upside guys perform well. Outside of Swanson/Albies, maybe 1-2 bats have stepped up.

It's not surprising that other teams have passed us. But, we still have a lot of talent in the lower minors that have time to grow.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    And yet at the beginning of the season he had the Braves at #2, so he didn't seem to prioritize the teams with guys closest to the majors then.... I have no probs with Callis, I think he's usually pretty good.

But I have a hard time seeing how the Braves drop from #2 to #9 in such a short time when you look at the talent they added during the international period and the draft.

And while some players haven't met high expectations, others such as Touki/Wiegel/Cruz/Pache/Peterson have stepped up.
    Touki hasn't stepped up. He has a 1.7 k/bb rate and 4.5 ERA.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    You really should look at trends. Do a little homework before you shoot your mouth off.

Carry on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Yes he really has.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minor...cJkaatxIpVT.97

"Toussaint’s athleticism has helped him refine his mechanics and repeat his delivery more consistently, which has led to more strikes and far better results in the second half. Since June, Toussaint has more strikeouts than any SAL pitcher in that stretch, with a 64-26 K-BB mark in 55 innings and a 2.78 ERA during that stretch. In a system replete with high-risk arms, Toussaint’s second-half progression has been a welcome development for the Braves."
    Last edited by Preacher; 08-03-2016 at 01:24 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Preacher For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-03-2016)

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    You really should look at trends. Do a little homework before you shoot your mouth off.

Carry on.
    I care more about larger samples than smaller.

Even so, post all star break, he has thrown 41 innings with a 4.61 ERA. 52k/25 bb or slightly over 2:1, which is barely higher than his overall numbers. He's also given up more homers in the 2nd half than the first half in 20 innings less.

How about those trends "before I shoot my mouth off?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Even if you want to say Touki is disappointing (I disagree), Allard has been bad (he dominated Danville/struggled some at Rome), Newcombe hasn't lived up to the hype (mostly agree) -- ManBan and Bird were never big prospects.

And we've seen the emergence of Whalen/Povse/Wiegel/Minter/Peterson/Cruz/Pache, the drafting of Anderson/Wentz/Muller/Cumberland, the signings of Maitain/Guiteirrez/Soto/Pena/Severino.

I'm not being a homer here, I'm not arguing that we have the best system, I've only said its in the top tier..... I just don't see dropping the system to 9th when you look at the influx of talent and the system was previously #2. Seems strange and a little knee-jerk coming right after the trade deadline.
    Last edited by Preacher; 08-03-2016 at 01:36 PM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Preacher For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-03-2016), Tapate50 (08-03-2016)

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    I care more about larger samples than smaller.

Even so, post all star break, he has thrown 41 innings with a 4.61 ERA. 52k/25 bb or slightly over 2:1, which is barely higher than his overall numbers. He's also given up more homers in the 2nd half than the first half in 20 innings less.

How about those trends "before I shoot my mouth off?"
    Nah, I like Preacher's analysis better than yours. Less bias.