Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts

2016 Trade Deadline Rumors and Moves

Jonathan Lucroy - C - Brewers

ESPN's Jerry Crasnick reports that trade talks involving Jonathan Lucroy are "intensifying."
    Crasnick writes that "[m]omentum [is] building toward a trade by the deadline." He counts the Rangers, Indians, Astros, Mets and Red Sox as interested parties, but also notes that there is a "mystery team" in the mix. Worldwide Leader colleague Buster Olney reported on July 20 that the Indians were in talks with the Brewers regarding a potential Lucroy trade, but nothing came of it at the time. Stay tuned.
    Ivermectin Man

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-27-2016)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Be glad when Lucroy finds a new home. So, that there's no more board speculation about him eventually becoming a Brave or posts of hypothetical lineups featuring him.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    Be glad when Lucroy finds a new home. So, that there's no more board speculation about him eventually becoming a Brave or posts of hypothetical lineups featuring him.
    This board is famous for folks holding out hopes of acquiring a player that makes no sense and is completely unrealistic. Lucroy has just taken the place David Price held this offseason: a player the Braves have 0% probability of acquiring, yet folks around here insist on cooking up scenarios where he could be a Brave.

He joins a list that includes Greinke, Lester and Matt Holliday.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

NinersSBChamps (07-27-2016), Pugfan (07-27-2016)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    This board is famous for folks holding out hopes of acquiring a player that makes no sense and is completely unrealistic. Lucroy has just taken the place David Price held this offseason: a player the Braves have 0% probability of acquiring, yet folks around here insist on cooking up scenarios where he could be a Brave.

Heyward?

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts

Exactly, and thanks for this. We need to keep our focus on Desmond, Cespedes, and Ramos ... where it belongs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts

Tim Hudson? Justin Upton? Jason Heyward (draft version), Billy Wagner? Nick Markakis, BJ Upton, etc. We are going to aquire some good players either in trade or free agency before 2017. Maybe it won't be who people are speculating on but there will be moves made to improve the team.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    I like how he included Nick Markakis.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    He's having a down year but I would be interested in trading for Derreck Norris. Buy low decent upside. Obviously I wouldn't want to overpay, but rather check in on him than be forced in FA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Theres always a little speculation about any good player linked to Georgia. Any speculation was shot down on this board as not going to happen because it made no sense for a rebuilding team to sign a mediocre aging veteran. I dont disagree with that sentiment but its still an example of a big move we didnt expect.

It’s over."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    I also like how he missed the ENTIRE point of my post by listing a couple guys who had multiple years of team control remaining when they were acquired, a closer on a short term deal, a draft pick, and the biggest bust signing in franchise history.

But like I said, some folks will continue to hold out hope that the Braves are in play for a guy like Lucroy. They justify it by equating his situation with the situations cajun just listed as "proof". Those scenarios couldn't be any more different from Lucroy and current incarnation of the Braves, yet in their heads they are the same.

It's very odd. It's almost like they can't apply logic to fill in gaps.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts

Maybe our idea of unrealistic is different. I think every board is going to have some hopes of acquiring good players. We arent the biggest market but we arent exactly the Rays. There is always a big bump in payroll with the opening on a new stadium. Even the Marlins spend money the year they open a new stadium. Lucroy isnt going to get 120+ million in free agency like the others you mentioned. I would see it a lot like the Uggla trade.

It’s over."

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Maybe our idea of unrealistic is different. I think every board is going to have some hopes of acquiring good players. We arent the biggest market but we arent exactly the Rays. There is always a big bump in payroll with the opening on a new stadium. Even the Marlins spend money the year they open a new stadium. Lucroy isnt going to get 120+ million in free agency like the others you mentioned. I would see it a lot like the Uggla trade.
    The Marlins may have spent money, but they didn't spend prospects, which is what would have to happen for us to get Lucroy. I don't think anyone believes the Braves aren't going to spend money in the offseason. They will have a lot of it available and unless they give out some budget-crippling deal it's probably not going to set back the rebuilding effort.

What's frustrating about reading all of these posts talking about trading for Lucroy is that they don't seem to contain any reasoning beyond "well we have the prospects to do it and the Johns probably want to make a splash for the new stadium." There are multiple contenders who could use both a big bat and a catcher. We are not going to be competitive next year*. Therefore, Lucroy, who is on the wrong side of 30 and a catcher and only signed through 2017, is more valuable to a contender than he is to the Braves. Therefore, if he is available at a price the Braves are comfortable paying, there is likely a contending team who is also willing to pay that price or even a bit more. Conversely, if his price is so high that no contender is willing to pay for him, it would be absolutely insane for the Braves to turn around and pay it.

I get it, rebuilding and being terrible isn't fun to watch, but good lord try to be patient. Trading legitimate prospects for a 30 year old catcher with 1 year of control when you are the worst team in baseball is exactly how you muck up a rebuild and end up like the Pirates or Royals.

*You can debate this all you want, but I have yet to see a scenario where we're competitive in 2017 that doesn't rely on the Braves signing 2 of the top 3 free agents in the offseason and trading for Lucroy and Albies/Swanson both having breakout rookie seasons and Folty/Wisler/Mallex/Inciarte/Blair all taking a major step forward and the Braves cobbling together a decent bullpen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    The Brewers are about to get a MASSIVE haul for Lucroy. Jeez.

It's a bidding war right now.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    532 Posts
    I wouldn't be too enthused with giving up part of the future for a catcher about to enter his 30s

17. The Following User Says Thank You to WaitingFor2017 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-28-2016)

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingFor2017 View Post
    I wouldn't be too enthused with giving up part of the future for a catcher about to enter his 30s
    Oh, he's in there already.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Maybe the Braves are involved as part of a three way...

I know those are way more complicated but not unprecedented.

And, No, I don't mean with Lucroy coming to Atlanta.

Creepy Lurking Stalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Braves have traded Lucas Harrell to the Rangers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Fwiw, mlb trade rumors writer thought we might be the mystery team with an extension in mind
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Fwiw, mlb trade rumors writer thought we might be the mystery team with an extension in mind
    Nah forget it... All the experts say that would ruin our club. Lucroy can't help us at all

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    What user name does that MLBTR writer post under on this board?