Quote Originally Posted by auyushu View Post
Well, depending on how big the K rates we are talking about are yes. Guys who K over 30% of the time in the minors almost never make it, and it's rare to see guys go from huge K rates to being really good K rates. Now in between there of course you have a wide variety, not uncommon to see guys in the 20-25% k% range drop their K rates a bit once they hit or move towards the majors (and of course go the other way). You'll see some prospects lower their K rates a bunch moving up levels once and a while, but it's rare. Corey Seager for example dropped his 8% or so from low A to the majors, but he had fantastic contact rates his entire way through the minors. Having crazy high K rates and poor BB/K rates generally leads to prospects translating poorly to the majors, prospects that have that rarely make it.

Davidson at least has a good walk rate, so he has the patience angle, but he needs to show some contact skills by next year or I think he has very little shot of making it.
I think the lack of contact skills in combination with the high strikeout rate is the problem. A high strikeout rate alone could just be an indication of a raw, aggressive approach at the plate and that isn't necessarily hard to refine. The high walk rate also would seem to suggest he has decent strike zone judgment, but the guy is batting .232 even with a BABIP of .350. To me that sounds like he either has a lot of trouble making contact or his swing has a major flaw that's being exploited. Either way those are difficult problems to fix and if they're already hurting his average this much at A+, he's very unlikely to make it past AA, much less be a productive major leaguer.

This is the point where it's hard to tell what's going on from the stats alone and you need to scout the player to get a better idea.