Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Wisler this bad?

On BBA's Top 100 Prospects List PurpleBrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts

Is Wisler this bad?

Looked promising to start the year but the wheels have fallen off lately. Time for a trip to Gwinnett or keep him in Atlanta to be shelled?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PurpleBrave For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-29-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    You keep him up and let him pitch through it. He's going through what almost all young pitchers go through. It's the ups and downs of young pitcher development. If he was in his first 50 innings, then you think about sending him back down to work on things. He's pushing 230 innings pitched now though.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    League adjusting. Time for him to adjust. Let him pitch and evaluate next spring.

No he is not this bad.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    League adjusting. Time for him to adjust. Let him pitch and evaluate next spring.

No he is not this bad.
    I really don't think it is the league adjusting to him. He is throwing it over the middle of the plate, or missing badly. If had been doing that before he would have been hit just as hard as he is now.

To clarify. I don't think he is this bad, but I don't think it is the league adjusting. I think he is playing head games with himself, trying to find a mechanical solution for a mental problem.
    Last edited by mfree80; 07-28-2016 at 06:48 PM.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    I really don't think it is the league adjusting to him. He is throwing it over the middle of the plate, or missing badly. If had been doing that before he would have been hit just as hard as he is now.
    But if he isn't getting guys to hit or miss his pitch then he gets out of whack. I think he lost some confidence and not making good pitches.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    I think both Wisler and Folty have some work to do to if they're to lock down a 2017 rotation spot going in the offseason. Pretty sure we'll see Teheran and reliable veteran holding down two spots. Whalen is coming on strong. Blair was throwing 93-94 last night and has put together two nice starts in a row. Gant and Perez will be getting stretched out soon and were both more stable than Wisler and Folty before being slowed by injury.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dak For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (07-28-2016), JohnAdcox (07-29-2016), jpx7 (07-28-2016)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    But if he isn't getting guys to hit or miss his pitch then he gets out of whack. I think he lost some confidence and not making good pitches.
    I agree. See my edit above.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    I agree, it's mostly just bad pitching on his part rather than the league adjusting to him. Further, I never bought that he was as good as he had been pitching before and I also don't think he's this bad either. Probably a back-end starter in the long run though. And that is why I suggested selling high on him when he was doing his best. That along with liking other pitchers in our system better long term.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,053 Posts
    He doesn't have an out pitch and it's hurting him.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-28-2016)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    He doesn't have an out pitch and it's hurting him.
    This pretty much. You can't make it as a decent starter if you can't strike guys out unless you are an extreme ground ball pitcher. Wisler is a flyball pitcher without an out pitch, his ceiling is a #4/#5 guy unless that changes. He's probably not as bad as he has been lately, but his upside is limited unless his secondary stuff improves a fair bit.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    No

But if he can't get the change down then he's a 4/5

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    829 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    I think both Wisler and Folty have some work to do to if they're to lock down a 2017 rotation spot going in the offseason. Pretty sure we'll see Teheran and reliable veteran holding down two spots. Whalen is coming on strong. Blair was throwing 93-94 last night and has put together two nice starts in a row. Gant and Perez will be getting stretched out soon and were both more stable than Wisler and Folty before being slowed by injury.
    If Blair is the answer, we're asking the wrong question. Seriously, I was very hopeful about him until he kept putting up one putrid performance after another. At this point, I'm cynical about his potential and will be until he proves me wrong at the ML level. The question is, given his previous belly flops, how many more chances does he get with the big club?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USMA76 View Post
    The question is, given his previous belly flops, how many more chances does he get with the big club?

It's pretty normal for a pitcher to struggle in a first taste of MLB. Blair never should have come up a second time, his second stint is all on the front office. He never should have been brought up a second time when he clearly wasn't fixed, it was straight up dumb.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to auyushu For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (07-28-2016), JohnAdcox (07-29-2016)

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Wisler sent back to Gwinnett.
    Last edited by skillet; 07-28-2016 at 10:07 PM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to skillet For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (07-28-2016)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Teheran is going to have his best years wasted with the inconsistency/inept at times pitching pals on the team. I never want to see him go, but it's almost criminal not to try to get the best you can for him. I don't want to see his best years waste away with this "MLB TEAM"

Next year will be more of the same if we have youngsters learning on the job. Time to finish the rebuild.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    Teheran is going to have his best years wasted with the inconsistency/inept at times pitching pals on the team. I never want to see him go, but it's almost criminal not to try to get the best you can for him. I don't want to see his best years waste away with this "MLB TEAM"

Next year will be more of the same if we have youngsters learning on the job. Time to finish the rebuild.
    Agreed pretty much. Still would keep him unless we got a really nice haul, but we should be more open to trading him than we seem to be.

Awaiting a Promotion chipchildress's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    on the other hand, if you trade julio, the braves could possibly have the worst rotation in the history of baseball for the next two or three years.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to chipchildress For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-29-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USMA76 View Post
    If Blair is the answer, we're asking the wrong question. Seriously, I was very hopeful about him until he kept putting up one putrid performance after another. At this point, I'm cynical about his potential and will be until he proves me wrong at the ML level. The question is, given his previous belly flops, how many more chances does he get with the big club?
    He's barely been given a chance... his performance at the MLB is completely normal for most rookie starters man... just look at the short fallings of Berrios and Glasnow this year... Giolito and Urias even struggled when given the chance. Relax... he obviously had something mechanically obviously out of whack. The last two starts are promising that he may be close to getting over that. You give high pedigree rookies quite a few more chances than his handful of glimpses man.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by auyushu View Post
    This pretty much. You can't make it as a decent starter if you can't strike guys out unless you are an extreme ground ball pitcher. Wisler is a flyball pitcher without an out pitch, his ceiling is a #4/#5 guy unless that changes. He's probably not as bad as he has been lately, but his upside is limited unless his secondary stuff improves a fair bit.
    That's the reason I'd like to see if we could get some value for Wisler (don't like the extreme flyball tendencies)... my favorite candidates for 4/5 in the rotation are Gant and Whalen... guys who don't live on stuff, but pitchability and weak contact. Whalen has even developed some real swing and miss stuff.... they are just smart pitchers, ala poor man's Maddux/Glavine. I would rather see them round out the rotation rather than Wisler and someone like Perez. I'm holding out hope Folty settles at least into a solid #2 or 3 with Teheran being our #1 for the time being. In that case, without injuries we would have one spot open. Blair/Newcomb/Perez/Kelly/Veteran could all compete there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    He's barely been given a chance... his performance at the MLB is completely normal for most rookie starters man... just look at the short fallings of Berrios and Glasnow this year... Giolito and Urias even struggled when given the chance. Relax... he obviously had something mechanically obviously out of whack. The last two starts are promising that he may be close to getting over that. You give high pedigree rookies quite a few more chances than his handful of glimpses man.
    People just forget how often pitchers struggle early in their career. Not everyone is going to be Kershaw (Who had an 4.26 in 107 IP to start his career anyways)... it takes time. Blair is not a TOR-type guy, but he can be very solid. Wisler has less of a leash because he has the time under his belt, but he's still very young as well.