Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Our farm system is truly ridiculous...

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Wentz has literally been compared to Hamels by several people.
    And there it is! We should sign him to a 15 year extension now and put him in the top 10 prospects of MLB because of this.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsnores View Post
    Considering Ozzie is three years younger than Swanson, and outperforming him signficantly, I don't see why more folks don't agree with you. There is something to be said for tools, but also for performance. I realize that great players that weren't on the radar as potentially such are kind of rare, but how do you think Pete Rose would have been projected? How was Mike Piazza projected? Trout was drafted lower than Heyward and several folks from the same draft that have never sniffed the majors.

I realize that the Heyward argument works both ways, as he outperformed Ozzie at essenially the same age at the same level, but the way things pan out, there's no reason to assume that Ozzie won't possibly be a star or even super star player. (I am putting Altuve at the lower end of superstardom.) Three years ago, who would have not laughed at the suggestion that Altuve would be who he today?
    Why does this keep getting said. Ozzie has a full season of pro ball on Dansby. The travel and pressure of playing every night takes tolls on folks differently. I think it is hard to evaluate Swanson fully just on his first year in pro ball.. just like I think it is just as foolish to hype up pitchers not even in A ball yet. I like our system, I think there are some interesting and good pieces. But it still has a ways to go.. but compare it to what we had 1.5 ago and I think anyone can see why fans are excited about it.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Swanson and Ozzie both should be expected to be .800 OPS players. They aren't some glove first players with a projectable bat. Both guys have very good hit tools.
    That is a tough expection. You have to have significant power to put up a .800 OPS. He could hit .300/.350/.425ish; a very good season, but not a .800 OPS. Expecting it is a stretch, but then again, you have no issue comparing recent 2nd round draft picks to top of the rotation starters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    That is a tough expection. You have to have significant power to put up a .800 OPS. He could hit .300/.350/.425ish; a very good season, but not a .800 OPS. Expecting it is a stretch, but then again, you have no issue comparing recent 2nd round draft picks to top of the rotation starters.
    Well considering there have been plenty of TOR pitchers that have been second round and even later picks in the past...

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Well considering there have been plenty of TOR pitchers that have been second round and even later picks in the past...
    Then they much all be! We should just expect all our picks to be them! I just wonder why all these other teams passed on Jose Fernandez in the first round this year.

You get a TOR, you get a TOR, we all get TOR starters!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Then they much all be! We should just expect all our picks to be them! I just wonder why all these other teams passed on Jose Fernandez in the first round this year.

For the millionth time... no one is saying they will all be TOR pitchers... but virtually every scouting report on those 3 plus Allard says they have a TOR ceiling. What's so hard about this? But thanks for your constant sarcastic douchery that always twists what others say.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts

Are you ok, man? you are kinda heading towards crazy train status..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    He's just agitated because the Nats still suck even though they have all the resources they do

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    I've missed the lack of common sense this board has. Someone claimed we had 4 starters that are up with the best pitching prospects in the game and claimed they were top of the rotation talent despite them all lagging way behind the very few pitching prospects in MLB that in reality have TOR talent. THen the counter argument is.....but, other people have become TOR starters!

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    He's just agitated because the Nats still suck even though they have all the resources they do
    passive aggressive much? cause the Gnats don't suck.. even though that pains me to say it.. I need to shower now.. thanks.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    How does this even make sense? Are you really just dumb?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    passive aggressive much? cause the Gnats don't suck.. even though that pains me to say it.. I need to shower now.. thanks.
    I just love getting under giles' skin... he's one of the nastiest people on the board, always looking for a fight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    How does this even make sense? Are you really just dumb?
    All that money and all those first overall picks.... still can't make the world series....

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Swanson and Ozzie both should be expected to be .800 OPS players. They aren't some glove first players with a projectable bat. Both guys have very good hit tools.
    I'm slowly beginning to think that Peterson may wind up being the biggest steal of the rebuild and may well turn into an .850-.900 OPS guy. I know we've all been "watching" him, but I'm not sure we've been watching him closely enough. After two more 2Bs last night...

36.5% of his hits this season are for extra bases. 12 of his 2Bs have come since July 1st. Given that he's still just 21, I don't think it's much of a stretch to say that he's beginning to grow into his power.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    I've missed the lack of common sense this board has. Someone claimed we had 4 starters that are up with the best pitching prospects in the game and claimed they were top of the rotation talent despite them all lagging way behind the very few pitching prospects in MLB that in reality have TOR talent. THen the counter argument is.....but, other people have become TOR starters!
    ok.. but who cares.. we have some good to great talent in the lower minors. But really none of them rank in the top 3 in their own league. I think we will get around two to three great pitchers out of the bunch (A ball and lower).. JT great.. not necessarily Kershaw great. But we will have a whole bunch of #3 to sell off to keep the system going. I think that is the best part of our rebuild.. in 5 years we will be great and still have a top 5 system. I really don't see why you guys need to keep sword fighting in hopes one of you will back down so you can go mount the herd.. after about 4 or 5 replies, just move on...

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    I just love getting under giles' skin... he's one of the nastiest people on the board, always looking for a fight.
    that wasn't obvious..lol

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    ok.. but who cares.. we have some good to great talent in the lower minors. But really none of them rank in the top 3 in their own league. I think we will get around two to three great pitchers out of the bunch (A ball and lower).. JT great.. not necessarily Kershaw great. But we will have a whole bunch of #3 to sell off to keep the system going. I think that is the best part of our rebuild.. in 5 years we will be great and still have a top 5 system. I really don't see why you guys need to keep sword fighting in hopes one of you will back down so you can go mount the herd.. after about 4 or 5 replies, just move on...
    That is at least a reasonable reply.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    I don't even know who you are and you certainly don't get under my skin. I'm an actual adult.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    I'm slowly beginning to think that Peterson may wind up being the biggest steal of the rebuild and may well turn into an .850-.900 OPS guy. I know we've all been "watching" him, but I'm not sure we've been watching him closely enough. After two more 2Bs last night...

36.5% of his hits this season are for extra bases. 12 of his 2Bs have come since July 1st. Given that he's still just 21, I don't think it's much of a stretch to say that he's beginning to grow into his power.

I think I read somewhere that 8 of his last 10 games have been multi hit games.. I think he has had 2 double digit hit streaks this year. That whole Miss. squad is full of talent and it is beginning to show. I wonder what their record is since Ozzie came back.. that was about the time they got a good pen and Simms came back down.. I would bet 10 games over .500

google.. here I come!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    That wasn't any counter argument... you have selective reading like you always do when you refuse to address the actual argument. Multiple scouting reports from the 3 guys we drafted this year plus Allard all said they have TOR potential... I don't understand why that's so hard for you to understand