Thread: 3b in free agency

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,704 Posts

3b in free agency

I've seen a lot of guys here wanting Prado this offseason. Wouldn't Luis valbuena or Justin turner be a better fit bc of their power? I do hope we sign one of these 3

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Prado is a stopgap. Plus he'd be a good influence on the younger Latin players. He knows the "braves way".

Hope Dalyn doesn't read this and have a heart attack.
    Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    I think Valbuena is not discussed because he bats LHed and the Braves are already LH heavy. I think the 4 legit options for 3b on the FA market are Desmond, Prado, Turner and Freese. I would be fine with any of those 4, preferring the one who represents the best overall value. So that probably won't be Desmond.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    We need a RH power bat so Valenbia is probably out.

Turner would be a solid fit depending on cost obviously.

Desmond would make a ton of sense but he'd cost a pick, and alot of money, probably his last chance to cash in big time with the year hes having.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    I assume Desmond, Prado, and Turner will all get QOs. On the catching front, Wilson Ramons seems like a shoo-in for a QO, while Wieters and Castro probably won't get one. If things play out like that, I'd go hard after Castro for sure, and Freese on a short-term deal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,704 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post

Desmond would make a ton of sense but he'd cost a pick, and alot of money, probably his last chance to cash in big time with the year hes having.
    I'm assuming nick will be gone. If we play mallex, inciarte, and FF, that's just 3 lh hitters and 4 if we plug in valbuena.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post

Turner is my preference, but I do wonder if L.A. makes him a QO. It's just money to them. He could accept and be traded in July

Miami is too cheap to get stuck with Prado at 16M

Another guy to look at might be Neil Walker if he could play 3B. He's a switch hitter. If you look at his career he's hit righties much better, but there have been seasons where he has hit lefties well, and this season he's hitting them better than righties. He could also play 2B for a couple of months if we're delaying Ozzie's clock.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Neil Walker is a pretty good idea. He's a borderline QO guy. I think Miami would be foolish not to make Prado a QO. He'll be coming off of 2 straight seasons of 3+ fWAR, and he's got a sterling reputation around the league as a leader / clubhouse guy. He's going to be one of the safer free agent targets out there. It is the Marlins though, so nothing is guaranteed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    I assume Desmond, Prado, and Turner will all get QOs. On the catching front, Wilson Ramons seems like a shoo-in for a QO, while Wieters and Castro probably won't get one. If things play out like that, I'd go hard after Castro for sure, and Freese on a short-term deal.
    Agree with your take. There are some trade targets. Headley and Solarte for third. Norris and McCann at catcher.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Wouldn't mind seeing Solarte... not really excited about Norris or McCann.... but I guess I'd rather have McCann than Norris

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Solarte is a solid option as a trade candidate. A long shot could be Longoria. Now would be the time for the Rays to sell high on him as he enters his decline years in his 30s. There have been some rumblings about the Rays trading him after his bounce back season, but it is mostly just speculation by writers.

A trade for Moore and Longoria would take a pretty insane package, but if the Braves could do it without including Swanson, Albies, Folty or Julio I would be all for any package it took.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,736 Posts
    There are quite a few solid options. I think Ruiz still has some potential, he has put up a good batting average and OBP vs RH pitching at AAA. Would love to get someone on a 1 year deal but I doubt that happens. I think Prado is going to want to sign up somewhere he can stay at 1 position. Maybe Ruiz could learn LF to get into the lineup when the time comes until there is a starting spot open at 3B. Intrigued by Justin Turner. Not sure he wont turn back into a pumpkin when he puts on a Braves uniform. Not going to give up a pick to find out either. I like Neil Walker depending on the price/years needed. If we could just fill the damn lineup with solid hitters throughout the lineup we will be fine offensively. Could still even have a defensive catcher. Just a 1 through 7 of players who can either get on base at a reasonable rate and hit 15 homers or so.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Justin Turner makes so much sense for us. He provides good RH power and a steady glove. The major concern with him seems to be durability, as he's never played in more than 126 games, either due to injury or performance, or a combination of both. Not sure if he gets a 4th year guaranteed or not given his age and track record, but if he'd do 3/45 (or somewhere there abouts) with a 4th year option, I'd definitely been on top of that.

Creepy Lurking Stalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I would prefer to trade for Drury or Dozier for third next season. Either one gives you pop from the right side. Ruiz could still compete for the spot or could be a trade chip.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Theduke81 View Post
    I would prefer to trade for Drury or Dozier for third next season. Either one gives you pop from the right side. Ruiz could still compete for the spot or could be a trade chip.
    I actually like the idea of either Drury or Dozier. Not as proven, but young and still improving. You never know what a prospect is going to turn into, but these guys seem like pretty safe bets... as prospects go.

Also, playing a guy like Drury in LF like AZ has done speaks highly of his bat, but really doesn't take advantage of his defensive abilities.
    Last edited by mfree80; 07-30-2016 at 12:26 PM.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    I actually like the idea of either Drury or Dozier. Not as proven, but young and still improving. You never know what a prospect is going to turn into, but these guys seem like pretty safe bets... as prospects go.

Also, playing a guy like Drury in LF like AZ has done speaks highly of his bat, but really doesn't take advantage of his defensive abilities.
    Drury has negative value playing half his games in one of the best offensive parks in baseball, not really seeing the high points for picking him up. He's also been a negative fielder at 3B (in very SSS though). I see nothing safe in him at all. Guys who don't walk at all and play below average defense have to be pretty special with contact and/or power to be good, and he hasn't shown that so far.

I'd love to see us take a flyer at Dozier though, former top prospect that slipped a bit and seems to have turned it around.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Justin Turner makes so much sense for us. He provides good RH power and a steady glove. The major concern with him seems to be durability, as he's never played in more than 126 games, either due to injury or performance, or a combination of both. Not sure if he gets a 4th year guaranteed or not given his age and track record, but if he'd do 3/45 (or somewhere there abouts) with a 4th year option, I'd definitely been on top of that.
    That's his only down side, but those could be some AB's that go to Ruiz.