Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We will always be a second fiddle organization

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts

We will always be a second fiddle organization

We were in the 90s and couldn't beat the Yanks, and going forward during the rebuilds with the next potential dynasty we won't be able to beat the Yanks.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Well go cheer on the Yankees dude geez!

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jay2033 For This Useful Post:

Coach_Chris (07-31-2016), JohnAdcox (07-31-2016), The Chosen One (07-31-2016)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Millwood1Hitter View Post
    We were in the 90s and couldn't beat the Yanks, and going forward during the rebuilds with the next potential dynasty we won't be able to beat the Yanks.
    You've fully made your transition into becoming Niners. Congrats.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to auyushu For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-31-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    gold standard second fiddle to be precise

Playing the Waiting Game keithlaw's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    294 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Millwood1Hitter View Post
    STAWP POASTING

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Way too early to tell and too many moves left to make to determine what the next few years holds. I think the idea of competing in '17 wasn't and isn't realistic. While its been fun to follow the rebuild, I also don't think we have maximized the potential returns in our trades, aside from the Swanson trade. However, I do believe we have stockpiled enough young talent in the low minors that our window to compete with our youth will open around 2019 or 2020. I hope we add more young pieces in the next 24 hours, headlined by trading JT (which is highly improbable), and add a top 3 pick next year. There's still a lot to be excited about, even if we will have to be a little more patient than originally thought.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    And yes, I am a little jealous of what the yanks got for chapman and miller given we have Wislee to show for moving Kimbrel

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SidSlid92 View Post
    And yes, I am a little jealous of what the yanks got for chapman and miller given we have Wislee to show for moving Kimbrel
    The Yankees didn't attach BJ Upton's dead contract to Chapman or Miller.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Would you rather eat Upton's contract or maximize return for Kimbrel? I personally would rather have Upton and players like Frazier/Sheffield than Wisler/Riley.

We've used that Upton money in some ways I know, but attaching the contract to Kimbrel killed the return.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    And Riley. And the money we saved on BJ.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    The Braves aren't second fiddle to the Yankees, but fiddles to every team in baseball. Their biggest issue is themselves right now. A poor team last year is worse this season. They are going in the wrong direction. Worrying about the Yankees or any AL team in the near future is meaningless.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Everyone is second fiddle to the Yankees lol. I will go as far to say, that even though the Yankees didn't want to trade pitching they did...because they saw an advantage to attain assets in this market. You think the Yank's want to win next year??...sure but they weakened their team in the short term to gain the advantage of young talent. The Braves SHOULD do the same. They are too worried about making the appearance of a good team for next year (even though there is very little chance it will happen). Maybe they are bluffing to max return, but I'm afraid they aren't moving anyone outside of like JJ. This IS an instance where the Yank's are beating us at our supposed own game. Jury is still out, but it isn't looking good. With NY's payroll advantage, for them to also get talent like this is not a great thing. I think overall Hart and Coppy have done well (minus a few moves), but I'm afraid they are now being influenced by higher up about the new ball park.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Would you rather eat Upton's contract or maximize return for Kimbrel? I personally would rather have Upton and players like Frazier/Sheffield than Wisler/Riley.

We've used that Upton money in some ways I know, but attaching the contract to Kimbrel killed the return.
    It's possible we wouldn't have been able to go all in on the international market with the BJ contract on the books. It's hard to know how it all works together, but regardless, the Indians definitely overpaid for Miller...but they got a guy who is about 20-30 spots ahead of where Wisler was in the prospect rankings and a guy ranked where some have ranked Riley in the return.

Some are acting as though the Yankees got a phenomenal return and we got a mediocre one when it's more accurate to say they got a great return and we got a really good one.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Everyone is second fiddle to the Yankees lol. I will go as far to say, that even though the Yankees didn't want to trade pitching they did...because they saw an advantage to attain assets in this market. You think the Yank's want to win next year??...sure but they weakened their team in the short term to gain the advantage of young talent. The Braves SHOULD do the same. They are too worried about making the appearance of a good team for next year (even though there is very little chance it will happen). Maybe they are bluffing to max return, but I'm afraid they aren't moving anyone outside of like JJ. This IS an instance where the Yank's are beating us at our supposed own game. Jury is still out, but it isn't looking good. With NY's payroll advantage, for them to also get talent like this is not a great thing. I think overall Hart and Coppy have done well (minus a few moves), but I'm afraid they are now being influenced by higher up about the new ball park.
    Or they understand that Teheran will retain all of his value even after the trade deadline, much more than Miller and obviously more than Chapman, and it's possible teams would rather get a shut-down closer for the stretch run than a good #2 SP as well.

We have no idea what has been discussed with teams, we have no idea what the FO is trying to do behind the scenes, and we have no idea what teams are offering to us. Yet we seem to be certain that we're screwing it up.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Or they understand that Teheran will retain all of his value even after the trade deadline, much more than Miller and obviously more than Chapman, and it's possible teams would rather get a shut-down closer for the stretch run than a good #2 SP as well.

We have no idea what has been discussed with teams, we have no idea what the FO is trying to do behind the scenes, and we have no idea what teams are offering to us. Yet we seem to be certain that we're screwing it up.
    True. Personally I'm just jealous Frazier moved and it wasn't to us

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    There is a whole lot of stupid in this thread.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    over a million sperm and you were the fastest.....

Get off my lawn!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanforlife88 For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (07-31-2016)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The Yankees didn't attach BJ Upton's dead contract to Chapman or Miller.
    That was clearly a mistake. Sadly the FO thought they would contend earlier than they are at the time.

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    If it signed Maitan, that's TBD. Could have waited a year in retrospect and possibly gotten more, I guess. Giant money moves like that are hard to make clear statements about because it's hard to follow the money, IMO.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay2033 View Post
    Well go cheer on the Yankees dude geez!
    **** no! I hate the Yanks, and love the Braves. I want the Braves to do well, to win. I don't just want them to win, but win bigly. The fact of the matter is the Braves haven't been winning, at all. They no longer win on the field, they don't win trades, and they certainly don't win in free agency. That's a travesty. That needs to change. Fact of the matter, in my opinion we haven't won anything since 95. Yes the division titles are nice, if your that soft everybody gets a participation award type person. It was nice while it lasted but it doesn't matter. All that matters is winning the big one. We need to start winning. Winning on the field, winning in the minors, negotiating great trades, and bargaining with agents to get the best free agents in here. But we don't do that. We stand there with our hands in our pocket, all the while our arch nemesis is acquiring much better, bigger, and greater talent for the future in the last 2 weeks than we have total in the last 2 years. It's a shame.