That was a nice read. Go, Matt.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Now that he's trying, the trade is going to be a steal.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    833 Posts
    There are quite a few Braves fans in Oklahoma which is a bit surprising given the obvious distance from Atlanta. As Kemp said, it has to go back to the TBS days. I know "Okies" can be called a lot of things but "bandwagon fans" is rarely one of them.

The current Braves team needs a feel good story that we won't have to wait for years in the minors to come to fruition. Wouldn't it be great if Matt Kemp can help provide that?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to USMA76 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-01-2016)

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,035 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Now that he's trying, the trade is going to be a steal.
    You're a pube.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

yeezus (08-02-2016)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USMA76 View Post
    There are quite a few Braves fans in Oklahoma which is a bit surprising given the obvious distance from Atlanta. As Kemp said, it has to go back to the TBS days. I know "Okies" can be called a lot of things but "bandwagon fans" is rarely one of them.

The current Braves team needs a feel good story that we won't have to wait for years in the minors to come to fruition. Wouldn't it be great if Matt Kemp can help provide that?
    Indeed it does. I grew up in Arkansas and the TBS days are the reason why the entire south and other areas in the country not in close range to a MLB team is filled with Braves fans. Growing up it was either the Cubs on WGN or the Braves on TBS. Like many others I'm sure that's in my age range happened to start following baseball when the Braves started to get good and stay good for a long time. Just like Matt Kemp.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-01-2016)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    532 Posts
    I grew up close to Cincinnati and never really watched them (even in 1990). I constantly watched the Braves on TBS.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to WaitingFor2017 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-01-2016)

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    The bitterness on this site amazes me. I understand skepticism, but there are so many who are just negativity on steroids. I loved the article. There's a chance that what Kemp will be paid is a horrible overpay, but there's also a chance that he will surprise. I hate that the Braves are having to rebuild, but I still watch games and I'll be pulling for Kemp to exceed expectations. We have a lot of posters here who apparently should be knocking down the big bucks because they'd all make Theo Epstein look like a complete idiot with the way they'd turn around the Braves if they were in the FO.

I think some of the moves made were dumb, some were great and some we still don't know. The complete trashing of Kemp before he ever puts on a uniform just makes my head spin, though.

12. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to jimsnores For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (08-02-2016), Chico (08-01-2016), clvclv (08-02-2016), Garmel (08-01-2016), GovClintonTyree (08-01-2016), Hawk (08-02-2016), The Chosen One (08-02-2016), TomahawkCult (08-01-2016), USMA76 (08-01-2016), yeezus (08-02-2016)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Nothing, but as long as you all realize that getting all misty-eyed over a story like this is exactly why the Braves traded for Kemp. He was acquired to make casual/ignorant fans think the Braves are actively trying to improve without committing any meaningful resources towards the MLB roster. He is not a good player because he is getting old and has hip problems and other injury issues.

He is below average, but will hit a few HRs that make the fans ooooh and aaaah. And then he will misplay a flyout into a double in the bottom half of the inning to give back the run he just scored.

Playing for his boyhood team isn't going to change any of that.
    Right or wrong, I think it's pretty clear the Braves think Kemp will be a valuable piece for the team. You don't commit $8 million extra a year to a player unless you think that player will help the team win. We would have gained just as much good will cutting Olivera instead of taking on Kemp, and casual fans aren't going to care unless the team is winning anyway.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,152 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Who *issed in your Corn Flakes (this morning, I mean - someone apparently does every day lately)???

It was really nice to read (and rather refreshing) that he's happy to be here. My main concern was that he might become a distraction because he wouldn't embrace playing for yet another rebuilding team. No one mentioned the first word about him suddenly turning the Braves into a contender, yet you act like everyone thinks that just because they're not down on the trade with you.
    I can't quite figure out where the anger comes from as he seems to mostly understand what the front office is doing. Not sure what he wants them to do. They've embarked on this route and there really is not a good short cut. I'm not sure they've done everything right, but they've done a lot right. If you accept the rebuild, not sure why you'd be angry about the particulars of how they spend their money while treading water.

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    I read the story. You know, stuff like this really shouldn't make a difference. But so help me, it does. It really does.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JohnAdcox For This Useful Post:

4maddux_cy's (08-01-2016), blueagleace1 (08-02-2016), clvclv (08-01-2016), GovClintonTyree (08-01-2016), The Chosen One (08-02-2016), TomahawkCult (08-01-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,152 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    Right or wrong, I think it's pretty clear the Braves think Kemp will be a valuable piece for the team. You don't commit $8 million extra a year to a player unless you think that player will help the team win. We would have gained just as much good will cutting Olivera instead of taking on Kemp, and casual fans aren't going to care unless the team is winning anyway.
    I believe they think he might make the team better than what they have now.

I'm not sure they think he is a huge piece of a rebuilt contender, no matter what they say. I think they are mostly interested in being a little less historically impotent on offense and I do think selling tickets is part of it. It's a peace offering to the fans, but one that cost them little in terms of the rebuild except cash.

I tend to worry that the cash outlay might be a bigger risk than maybe it is. It's possible the Braves see the 18 million per season as something that they can live without in their strategic planning over the next three years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,007 Posts
    And we fall for the "home town boy" story-line yet again.

You all realize this is just another version of the "best shape of my life" stories we hear every offseason, right?
    You must be a miserable person. He didn't have to write that article. I thought it was pretty authentic.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

4maddux_cy's (08-01-2016), clvclv (08-02-2016), JohnAdcox (08-02-2016), The Chosen One (08-02-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Nothing, but as long as you all realize that getting all misty-eyed over a story like this is exactly why the Braves traded for Kemp. He was acquired to make casual/ignorant fans think the Braves are actively trying to improve without committing any meaningful resources towards the MLB roster. He is not a good player because he is getting old and has hip problems and other injury issues.

He is below average, but will hit a few HRs that make the fans ooooh and aaaah. And then he will misplay a flyout into a double in the bottom half of the inning to give back the run he just scored.

So which is it? Because you've criticized the FO for believing that having Kemp in LF will allow us to compete, and have also criticized the FO for just selling that to the fanbase while not believing it.

Awesome.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    I thought that was a great article. Being able to play for your childhood team has to be amazing.
    As for the TBS comments, the reach and lure of TBS and the Braves was quite strong. I grew up in New York and I became a Braves fan from the Superstation. Started watching in 1990 when I was 4 and haven't looked back since.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skeeter31 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-02-2016), The Chosen One (08-02-2016)

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    58 Posts

If I'm misty-eyed about anything it's this:

Home: .243/.271/.413
    Road: .277/.298/.555

Get him out of the San Diego abyss and he's a dang good offensive weapon, OBP notwithstanding. The other point is that for his career, his walk ratio has been pretty good. The last year appears to be an outlier.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JCarbo76 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-02-2016), GovClintonTyree (08-01-2016), JohnAdcox (08-02-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,035 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I believe they think he might make the team better than what they have now.

I'm not sure they think he is a huge piece of a rebuilt contender, no matter what they say. I think they are mostly interested in being a little less historically impotent on offense and I do think selling tickets is part of it. It's a peace offering to the fans, but one that cost them little in terms of the rebuild except cash.

I tend to worry that the cash outlay might be a bigger risk than maybe it is. It's possible the Braves see the 18 million per season as something that they can live without in their strategic planning over the next three years.
    Right. Here's the thing - we have nothing but, for lack of a better term, "cap space." We have nowhere near $120m in payroll committed the next few years. And meaningful free agents are going to be looking at Coppy like he's got confederate money.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,035 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JCarbo76 View Post
    If I'm misty-eyed about anything it's this:

Home: .243/.271/.413
    Road: .277/.298/.555

Get him out of the San Diego abyss and he's a dang good offensive weapon, OBP notwithstanding. The other point is that for his career, his walk ratio has been pretty good. The last year appears to be an outlier.
    Right. He's 60 points off his career BABIP and 3.8% off his career walk rate (swinging at crap and not hitting it hard). That's fixable. Regain your strike zone judgement, which was always pretty good.

I saw him earlier this year in San Diego. He hit four balls hard. One bounced off the wall, one went over it. I'm optimistic.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I liked it.

He didn't have to write that. He's going to cash paychecks regardless. The fortunes of this team are largely going to rise (or not) on the strength of guys who aren't currently in the bigs. If Matt Kemp can hit some bombs and give us something to respect and cheer for in the meantime, I'm all for it.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

4maddux_cy's (08-01-2016), clvclv (08-02-2016), Hawk (08-02-2016), TomahawkCult (08-01-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,035 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    I liked it.

He didn't have to write that. He's going to cash paychecks regardless. The fortunes of this team are largely going to rise (or not) on the strength of guys who aren't currently in the bigs. If Matt Kemp can hit some bombs and give us something to respect and cheer for in the meantime, I'm all for it.
    Julio, how's Seņora Julio? And Julionito?

30. The Following User Says Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

Hawk (08-02-2016)

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    I'm curious. If Kemp gives Atlanta three years of .830 OPS or better and plays slightly below average defense, mitigated somewhat by Mallex or Ender in CF beside him, will those who say he is horrible feel like the trade is pretty okay, or is it still going to be Olivera bad? If he gives .730 with bad defense, I know it will be "we told you so", and I know that's a possibility. I'm just wondering what it will take to make folks happy, or if that's impossible.