Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Apparently. 1.1 WAR last season, 0.8 this year. Maybe those numbers at Baseball Reference are wrong though.
    So over the last 160 games played, he's at 1.9 WAR?
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Wait a minute - wasn't the first half of your reasoning for this thread that Markakis (and his 0.9 WAR) should be kept around??? Color me confused.
    No, the point was that he has hit the ball harder than his results have shown. Therefore, it would stand to reason he might have better results in the second half, and thus higher WAR than he posted in the first half.

Your confusion is understandable though. That conclusion required reading comprehension plus a small logical step you would have had to make all by yourself. Both of those things obviously didn't happen.

A Puig acquisition is all about taking the chance he will rebound to a 4-5 WAR OFer. That's why it's called "buying low". The cost to acquire him would have to be small, again, that's why it's called "buying low". The Braves have to take chances like that because it is likely the only way they will be able to add a 4-5 WAR player without gutting the farm or waiting for Maitan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Puig is pretty young and still has room to from as a player. It's just a matter of will he quit acting like a baby.
    Last edited by Hudson2; 08-04-2016 at 12:13 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,995 Posts
    The thing is, Puig was been playing well enough for over a month now (.300 batting average and .830 OPS since returning from the DL). It certainly would appear that this demotion is more about his attitude than performance.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-04-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    The thing is, Puig was been playing well enough for over a month now (.300 batting average and .830 OPS since returning from the DL). It certainly would appear that this demotion is more about his attitude than performance.
    Yes it is, hence the "buying low". The idea is to "buy low" on a 4-5 WAR talent and hope his attitude issues go away as he becomes older than 25. That's why it's called "buying low".

If he was a 4-5 WAR talent and a model citizen he wouldn't be available for the Braves to "buy low".

Do we all understand what "buying low" means?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,995 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Yes it is, hence the "buying low". The idea is to "buy low" on a 4-5 WAR talent and hope his attitude issues go away as he becomes older than 25. That's why it's called "buying low".

If he was a 4-5 WAR talent and a model citizen he wouldn't be available for the Braves to "buy low".

Do we all understand what "buying low" means?
    You missed the point my post.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Since he's been playing well and the Dodgers still are not requiring a huge return, it sounds like an excellent idea.
    Last edited by gilesfan; 08-04-2016 at 11:40 AM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    You missed the point my post.
    Sorry, seemed to me you were pointing out a negative of Puig's as a reason not to "buy low" on him. I suggested those very negatives are what make "buying low" an option. You don't "buy low" on perfect ballplayers, that's what the "low" in "buy low" indicates.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Since he's been playing well and the Dodgers still are requiring a huge return, it sounds like an excellent idea.
    Which is why I said "If he becomes an extreme buy low option". "Requiring a huge return" would not be "buying low", now would it?

This whole "buying low" concept is apparently harder to grasp than I assumed.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,298 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Since he's been playing well and the Dodgers still are not requiring a huge return, it sounds like an excellent idea.
    I understand your point and I wouldn't fault the team if they traded for him because it makes a ton of logical sense, but I think there is more than meets the eye with Puig that would explain why nobody was even willing to buy low on Puig at the trade deadline. I bet once he's out of LA there are going to be some really really interesting slam pieces that come out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Which is why I said "If he becomes an extreme buy low option". "Requiring a huge return" would not be "buying low", now would it?

This whole "buying low" concept is apparently harder to grasp than I assumed.
    Is something going on in your personal life, dude? Every single one of your posts is talking down to someone. Even if you're correct with some of it, you're still an asshole.

I don't know why anyone else even bothers to have an opinion. All we need is a message board where you tell us what's right and wrong.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to yeezus For This Useful Post:

mfree80 (08-04-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    Is something going on in your personal life, dude? Every single one of your posts is talking down to someone. Even if you're correct with some of it, you're still an asshole.

I don't know why anyone else even bothers to have an opinion. All we need is a message board where you tell us what's right and wrong.
    Mainly because it's amusing to come back and read your whiny post about how mean I am.

You're such a sensitive little guy! Awww! Mommy will be by soon to tuck you in for your nappy time!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,298 Posts
    Mainly because it's amusing to come back and read your whiny post about how mean I am.

You're such a sensitive little guy! Awww! Mommy will be by soon to tuck you in for your nappy time!
    You do you, man. But it's mostly just weird how worked up anonymous internet opinions get you.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

Chico (08-04-2016), clvclv (08-04-2016), Tapate50 (08-04-2016)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    489 Posts

Discussions with you would be much more productive without the insults and condescending crap.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    I'm going to ban everyone. So I can read discussions without insults.
    Forever Fredi

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-04-2016), GovClintonTyree (08-04-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts

Meh, it doesn't offend me how "mean" you are. It's just bizarre. You can't disagree without being condescending and insulting people. That's more of a problem for you than it is me. It seems you have legit issues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    Discussions with you would be much more productive without the insults and condescending crap.
    The fact he's incapable of it is what's odd. Berating people online to pump up your ego and make yourself feel better is weird.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    There are a few reasons why it might be a good buy low trade. He's a name who is entertaining and can draw some fans. He's still only a kid at 25. He's got a big ego, and he'll want that Cespedes money when he sees what he signs for this offseason which could cause him to catch fire in his contract year to be traded.

With all that being said I just don't see us taking the chance on him. With a young clubhouse you cannot have a cancer like him. I'd hope that since he's only 25 that he'd mature and start acting like an adult, but it seems that Cuban baseball players are very immature and feel way too entitled. I could see us acquiring him, and flipping him later for a better prospect, but the damage that he could do in the mean time may make it all for naught.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    There are a few reasons why it might be a good buy low trade. He's a name who is entertaining and can draw some fans. He's still only a kid at 25. He's got a big ego, and he'll want that Cespedes money when he sees what he signs for this offseason which could cause him to catch fire in his contract year to be traded.

With all that being said I just don't see us taking the chance on him. With a young clubhouse you cannot have a cancer like him. I'd hope that since he's only 25 that he'd mature and start acting like an adult, but it seems that Cuban baseball players are very immature and feel way too entitled. I could see us acquiring him, and flipping him later for a better prospect, but the damage that he could do in the mean time may make it all for naught.
    You're probably right. Cuban baseball players seem to be a lot like American football and, to a lesser degree, basketball players in that regard.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post

What damage do you expect him to do? Our our prospects like china glass dolls? If they can handle AJP, they can handle Puig.