Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A case for keeping Markakis and adding Puig

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,145 Posts

A case for keeping Markakis and adding Puig

FG did a pretty good analysis of how guys that under or over performed their expected wOBA based on exit velocity.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/first...nderachievers/

Long story short (as it relates to the Braves), Markakis should be getting better results than he has based on his exit velocity.

Puig is poised for an even larger jump in production for the second half based on his first half exit velocity. If he becomes an extreme buy low option for the Braves they should strongly consider grabbing him.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Puig would be a no brainer. It cannot hurt us.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gilesfan For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (08-03-2016), Dalyn (08-03-2016), gamecock4braves (08-03-2016), jpx7 (08-03-2016), The Chosen One (08-03-2016)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    490 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    FG did a pretty good analysis of how guys that under or over performed their expected wOBA based on exit velocity.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/first...nderachievers/

Long story short (as it relates to the Braves), Markakis should be getting better results than he has based on his exit velocity.

Puig is poised for an even larger jump in production for the second half based on his first half exit velocity. If he becomes an extreme buy low option for the Braves they should strongly consider grabbing him.
    What does it say about Heyward? He always seems to hit teh ball hard, but doesn't seem to see the results.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    What does it say about Heyward? He always seems to hit teh ball hard, but doesn't seem to see the results.
    Swing's flat. Doesn't elevate the ball. Lots of ground balls. And when he hits a dinger, it's generally a line drive that makes it out in about 2 seconds.

Edit: just looked it up. 57% GB last year, 49% this year.

Gonna be tough to get the ol' OPS over .700 hitting that many ground balls.
    Last edited by GovClintonTyree; 08-03-2016 at 01:53 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

mfree80 (08-03-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Not on paper. He's an asshole, though, and that isn't part of The Braves Way(R).

Roaming in Rome
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    We'd get automatic first waiver claim for Puig, right? Could see a deal working out in August between us and LA

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Pass.

And no, I couldn't care less what numbers anyone wants to dream up.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

KB21 (08-05-2016)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Braves media has been very clear there is no interest in Puig. I love the talent. Not sure on the cost or how bad his issues are.

Markakis/Kemp might be a productive LF platoon. I just doubt the Braves do that and it's really expensive.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    Not on paper. He's an asshole, though, and that isn't part of The Braves Way(R).
    Being an asshole doesn't keep players away from Hotlanta.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    490 Posts
    Being an asshole doesn't keep players away from Hotlanta.
    I am not by any means saying I want Puig, but you make an interesting point... Other notorious clubhouse cancer type players have come to Atlanta in the past and become very good citizens and teammates (not universal of course).

Is it worth taking the chance that a talented player might grow up and get the message here? I am personally not in favor, but if the Braves know something about him we don't, it might be worth a shot depending on the cost and commitment required.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    I am not by any means saying I want Puig, but you make an interesting point... Other notorious clubhouse cancer type players have come to Atlanta in the past and become very good citizens and teammates (not universal of course).

Is it worth taking the chance that a talented player might grow up and get the message here? I am personally not in favor, but if the Braves know something about him we don't, it might be worth a shot depending on the cost and commitment required.
    Sheffield is exhibit "A", of course...I think this was true when you had a notorious player's manager in Cox. Not saying Snit is one or the other, but the two major things you're looking for are 1) winning and 2) a manager who leaves you alone. There's that whole "veteran clubhouse with leadership to keep things in line," too.

We got none of that. So I think Puig's colonic tendencies would remain problematic.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,308 Posts
    I think we are planning on fielding another really young team next year with the first core group of our prospects coming up (Newcomb, Albies, Swanson, etc.). I want no part of bringing Puig in to muddy those waters.
    Last edited by chop2chip; 08-03-2016 at 04:47 PM.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (08-04-2016), Chico (08-03-2016), clvclv (08-03-2016)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Other than completely destroying the clubhouse and presenting the exact attitude EVERY organization hopes to avoid.

What on earth would make anyone think he'd mature here???

He's an absolute cancer I wouldn't want within 10 miles of our prospects - feels he's entitled to special treatment, has no respect for his Managers/Coaches/teammates, etc.. I don't care how much untapped talent he has, he's never going to reach it at this rate. He's not under contract long enough to even dream he's going to clean his act up. The Padres ought to take him off the Dodgers' hands for a prospect and then DFA him - he could then go hang out with Olivera.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

KB21 (08-05-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Puig sucks, I don't care what his exit velocity is.

His BABIP is .307, so it's not as though he's been really unlucky.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-03-2016)

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I think we are planning on fielding another really young team next year with the first core group of our prospects coming up (Newcomb, Albies, Swanson, etc.). I want no part of bringing Puig in to muddy those waters.
    Possibly overstated. http://dodgersdigest.com/2016/08/03/...-front-office/

The dude can probably be had for peanuts.

4.1 WAR season (104 games)
    5.3 WAR season (148 games)
    1.5 WAR season (79 games)
    0.5 WAR season (81 games)

You don't get the chance to acquire 25 year olds with his talent for peanuts very often. The team needs good young players. Worst case he sucks for a year and you eat a couple million (Dodgers likely send money)

No one cares that Kemp was considered a clubhouse issue with LA. (its possible he matured over the years) AJ is one of the worst guys in baseball, he's around the young players.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to gilesfan For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (08-03-2016)

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Puig sucks, I don't care what his exit velocity is.

His BABIP is .307, so it's not as though he's been really unlucky.
    In a down half year, his' wRC+ is 94. That isn't really considered sucking is it? Especially when there are signs that his batting profile suggest improvement. Hell, he was already possibly coming out of his slump with a 128 wRC+ in June and 125 in July.

Heck, I found this article when I was looking up his stats. http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/yasie...-you-want-him/

So we’re going to see where this goes, but I’d still bet on Puig finding his way out of the organization. There is still too much there to completely ignore. A year ago there was talk that Marcell Ozuna was a difficult presence for the Marlins. Now he’s a huge reason why they’re shooting for the playoffs. Some of the worst things I’ve heard were said about a younger Yunel Escobar, who came off as borderline unemployable. It’s not a coincidence that Escobar sort of floated around, but here we are now and he’s an everyday player, having long since surpassed 20 career WAR. He’s not great, but he’s fine, and if he’s still a difficult prick, he keeps that under the surface. If Escobar could fix his career, Puig could do the same.

And as long as I’m here, I have to say, I would’ve rather the Braves trade for Puig than spend $32 million to get Matt Kemp. Puig would come with half the commitment and twice the ability, and even if it didn’t work, well, a lot of things aren’t going to work. It would’ve been a better experiment.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to gilesfan For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (08-03-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    I don't care about Puig's attitude. I don't want him because he's not particularly good at baseball. I think the league figured him out, and he doesn't seem overly concerned with making adjustments himself.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-03-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,145 Posts
    Possibly overstated. http://dodgersdigest.com/2016/08/03/...-front-office/

The dude can probably be had for peanuts.

4.1 WAR season (104 games)
    5.3 WAR season (148 games)
    1.5 WAR season (79 games)
    0.5 WAR season (81 games)

You don't get the chance to acquire 25 year olds with his talent for peanuts very often. The team needs good young players. Worst case he sucks for a year and you eat a couple million (Dodgers likely send money)

No one cares that Kemp was considered a clubhouse issue with LA. (its possible he matured over the years) AJ is one of the worst guys in baseball, he's around the young players.
    Rosenthal retracts the "stormed out" story, but you won't hear anyone acknowledge it. Much more liberating to say things like, "he's an asshole and I don't want him on the Braves no matter what".

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I don't care about Puig's attitude. I don't want him because he's not particularly good at baseball. I think the league figured him out, and he doesn't seem overly concerned with making adjustments himself.
    I mean, at his worst he's Nick Markakis from this year with far more upside and lower cost. Hes far better than outfielders we have on the roster. He's not blocking anyone good. Him and Kemp may not get along, but the decision to go after Kemp was questionable in the first place.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to gilesfan For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (08-03-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,145 Posts
    Maybe Kemp can lend Puig his Braves jacket and make him love baseball again?