Thread: Someone give me a plausible reason to vote Democrat

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Apparently you can't...
    All ready said I couldn't and spelled out why
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    I can't wait til your generation is not making the decisions of national politics.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (08-08-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Ah, another one with Daddy issues

Gary Johnson is 63
    and Judy Stein is 66

you never said why Johnson didn't run for the (R) nomination or dropped out in 2012
    or how a Johnson Administration would succeed where a Hoover Administration didn't
    Last edited by 57Brave; 08-08-2016 at 02:59 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    Do you actually know anything about the policies of Herbert Hoover or are you just parroting what you heard in middle school history class? I would be more than happy to go over Hoover policies but why don't you save us both the time and effort and just use google.

Honestly Hoover reminds me more of Trump. Look up the Smoot-Hawley Tariff act. He also authorized military force against veterans which is something I am sure Trump would do too. I know your schook history book says Hoover did nothing to prevent the great depression but really he did a lot that backfired and made things worse and we would have been better off if he actually did nothing. And if you want to **** on him remember he was courted by both parties and FDR even gave him about the highest endorsement possible at the time.
    Last edited by cajunrevenge; 08-08-2016 at 05:20 PM.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    57 - what do we plan to do about this

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/08/08/socia...shortfall.html

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    This is a good read for our beloved steaksauce

https://fee.org/articles/how-not-to-...ical-analysis/
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    Someone give me a plausible reason to vote Democrat
    To save yourself and the people around you a lot of future grief while you go on like a broken record for the next 8 years explaining why you didn't vote Hillary.

If one more person say that the Democrats are helping us, I want you to explain to me HOW.
    By giving their lives for your right to vote however you want. James Chaney, Andrew Goodman and Michael Schwerner Democrats are still fighting the battle while Republicans continue, with every trick in the book, to marginalize the Black vote.
    Last edited by Runnin; 08-08-2016 at 10:57 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

57Brave (08-09-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Both parties are terrible for the advancement of black and brown communities. I do not think that many minorities have a slave mentality to the democratic party. Its just that for some of us they are the lesser of two evils. The third parties are not an option because most of the candidates are kooks. There are many black people on various sites that I have visited who are starting to call out the Dem party, Obama etc. You along with the rest of us minorities must hold this parties elected officials responsible but it starts at the lower levels.

You have to look inward. What issues are inportant to you? For me why I vote Dem is because I feel like the Republican Party is full of racists and bigots. Ive worked and lived in Republican counties in the south where I do not see advancement for minorities. If it is not the school to prison pipeline...its the school to minimum wage job pipeline. These counties have Repub majority on school boards that cut funding for public schools while their own white kids attend private charter schools that are well funded by the whites who have the businesses and high paying jobs.

Take a look at the two parties Intern photos. Or the two conventions. I see diversity in the Democtatic party.

Now going back to issues the Voting Rights Act is very important to me. I believe all Americans should have easy access to voting. I do not see the Dem party blocking the rights of minority communities from voting like the Repubs.

Previously you have stated your opinion on abortion. While I am for it and Womens Rights. While I believe a lot of medications (birth control etc) can have unforeseen negative long term side effects I love the fact that I can go out and obtain birth control if I wanted to for free/reduced cost.

LGBT Rights...I know many of my church black folks who are against this life style. Im not God and I am not going to use mans interpretation of Gods word to condemn anyone. So I support a party who is fighting for the equal rights of all citizens.

Ultimately you have to make your own decision based on what is in the best interest of you and your family. The problem is not that blacks are slaves to the democratic party. Its that the Dem party is more welcoming to people of color than the Republican party.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to njc108 For This Useful Post:

57Brave (08-09-2016), VirginiaBrave (08-09-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    50 years no progress

If one more person say that the Democrats are helping us, I want you to explain to me HOW.
    This is not new

Clinton’s announcement is one more signal that early childhood and work-family issues have become high priorities for the Democratic Party and its allies. Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), Clinton’s rival for Democratic nomination, has repeatedly labelled the U.S. child care system an “embarrassment,” and has called for the same sorts of substantial investments in early childhood. President Barack Obama has made expansions of government-financed preschool a cornerstone of his recent budget proposals to Congress.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b096e9f09275b6

Please see her record on Child Development Programs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    50 years no progress

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/09/up...=tw-share&_r=0

A few recent studies suggest that people have become less likely to have medical debt or to postpone care because of cost. They are also more likely to have a regular doctor and to be getting preventive health services like vaccines and cancer screenings. A new study, published Monday in JAMA Internal Medicine, offers another way of looking at the issue. Low-income people in Arkansas and Kentucky, which expanded Medicaid insurance to everyone below a certain income threshold, appear to be healthier than their peers in Texas, which did not expand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts

50 years no progress

Still terrible crime statistics
    violent crime for example is at it's lowest since the mid 70's
    http://www.nationalreview.com/corner...rles-c-w-cooke

Dems know it that slavery is in our blood and they are still exploiting it.

Still have not heard your thoughts on 'John Lewis

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts

This article details progress in the past year

50 years no progress

If one more person say that the Democrats are helping us, I want you to explain to me HOW

MICHAEL A. COHEN
    In Louisiana, what a difference a Democrat makes

he state of Louisiana is receiving a crash course in “elections have consequences.”

Last January, Louisiana voters elected John Bel Edwards governor (the only Democrat governor in the Deep South). On just his second day in office he signed an executive order that made Louisiana the 31st state to expand Medicaid, which is a crucial part of Obamacare. Edwards’s predecessor, Bobby Jindal, rejected the measure on the grounds – and I’m not making this up – that expanding access would “jeopardize the care of the most vulnerable in our society.”

At the time, Edwards noted that Louisiana “consistently ranked one of the poorest and unhealthiest states” and that improving Medicaid access would break the cycle of the state’s residents having to choose “between their health and their financial security.” Indeed, Louisiana is fourth from the bottom, among states, in life expectancy.

Seven months later, the impact of Edwards’s executive order is being felt across the state. Though applications for the new Medicaid benefit did not begin until June, already 265,723 Louisianians have signed up.

The law is having a transformative effect, according to a recent article in the Los Angeles Times. “Patients burst into tears at this city’s glistening new charity hospital when they learned they could get Medicaid health insurance,” Noam Levey reported. One doctor said telling patients that they were eligible for health care coverage – something most of us take for granted — was like telling them, “I cured cancer.”

Residents who had held off getting prescriptions filled or postponed screenings or seeing a doctor are now able to do so with Medicaid coverage.

The same thing is being seen elsewhere. As Levey points out, since Pennsylvania passed its Medicaid expansion, nearly 10 percent of the more than 650,000 who enrolled in the program began drug and alcohol abuse treatment – that’s approximately 65,000 people with an opportunity they didn’t have before to end their addictions.

According to one study that looked at the effect of the expansion in Arkansas and Kentucky (and non-expansion in Texas), “poor adults” had more access to care and “skipping medications because of cost and trouble paying medical bills declined significantly.” Moreover, the “share of individuals with chronic conditions who obtained regular care increased” and the percentage of residents who were able to simply have a medical checkup jumped by 7 points. In Texas, where expansion has not taken place, there’s been little success in reducing uninsured rates or improving health care outcomes.

This is a great public policy story — one that shows how a targeted effort using government resourcesfor the most vulnerable can produce positive, even life-changing results. But the political part of the story is less greatin the 19 states that have continued to reject calls for expansion.

Not coincidentally, all 19 have either a Republican governor or a Republican state legislature. While many of these states have argued that the costs will be prohibitive, it’s long past time to discard this dishonest talking point.

As part of the newly expanded Medicaid program, the federal government has agreed to initially pick up the tab and then pay for 90 percent of coverage beginning in 2020. Republicans argue that the federal government will at some indeterminate point in the future stop footing the bill, even though there is no reason — and no evidence — to believe this will occur.

In Virginia, the GOP-controlled legislature has long resisted a push from the state’s governor, Terry McAuliffe, to expand Medicaid for more than 400,000 Virginians, with bogus claims that it would cost the state $1 billion. The actual cost as estimated by the fact-checking site, PolitiFact, is around $3 million.

“Concern trolling” about the costs of Medicaid expansion masks the real reason for continued GOP opposition — a refusal to support anything that has the name Obama on it. Expanding Medicaid would mean that Republicans implicitly acknowledge that Obamacare has some positive elements to it — and risk the political fallout from Republican voters. For the modern GOP, that’s a bridge too far. But the impact of GOP recalcitrance is significant.

According to the Kaiser Family Foundation, approximately 3 million more Americans would receive access to care if Medicaid expansion occurred in every state.

That’s 3 million Americans who can’t see a doctor or a dentist, can’t fill prescriptions, and can’t get the drug or alcohol treatment that could turn their lives around. They are put in the impossible position of having to choose between their health — and the health of their family — and putting food on the table. Ultimately, Obamacare at its core is about not forcing ordinary Americans to have to make these choices. It was intended to reduce the very real anxiety that comes with not having access to health care. As Edwards said in January about the impact of broadening access to care for his state’s residents, “This will not only afford them peace of mind, but also to help prevent them from slipping further into poverty and give them a fighting chance for a better life.”

But in the 19 GOP-controlled states that continue to refuse Medicaid expansion, a different choice is being made: to put political preservation and hatred of President Obama above the needs of their citizens. Not surprisingly, these states are among the unhealthiest in the nation, with some of the highest rates of illnesses and deaths from diseases that are often easily preventable.

There might not be a bigger and more shameful political story in America today than this one. And there also might not be a better example of the fundamental divide that separates America’s two political parties.

That’s something worth keeping in mind when you cast your vote next November
    Last edited by 57Brave; 08-09-2016 at 08:36 AM.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    It comes down to this, I truly fear a Trump presidency. I tried to explain it to my first time voting niece over the weekend. There is more on the line than there has ever been in an American election. Do you truly want a political novice making decisions that could get you or your family killed?????? Do you want a man that has the audacity to berate a disabled reporter to represent you? I live in the middle of coal country, a place that is eating his crap and begging for more. I tell folks here, coal is not coming back. It's a dying industry and its time to start looking past it. For perspective, when I was a kid, 35 yrs ago you couldn't get anyone here to admit they voted Republican now its hard to find an unapologetic Democrat here. There are very few of us here in the far southwestern corner of VA these days. Back to the topic, I firmly believe a Trump presidency has the possibility to bring civilization to an end. Mrs. Clinton has done some questionable things, but not anything unlike any other high profile career office holder. Should FDR had been jailed for Pearl Harbor? The evidence certainly has mounted of the years that the US might have known something was coming. What about the Bay of Pigs? Should somebody have done things different? Iran-Contra?? Nearly every president has had missteps and made bad decisions. Mrs. Clinton is more that capable of doing the job and much her time in the Senate her popularity will rise as she goes and she will be much like Bill was a very effective President. Stien and Johnson are wasted votes and Trump is a madman. Really there is only one choice come November and that's HRC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBrave View Post
    Back to the topic, I firmly believe a Trump presidency has the possibility to bring civilization to an end.
    He's a worrisome guy but proving to be too incompetent to be truly dangerous. He's also a horrible leader and doesn't attract the types of people he'd need to take over.

If he were the real thing he'd be leading right now because he's had every opportunity.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBrave View Post
    Mrs. Clinton is more that capable of doing the job and much her time in the Senate her popularity will rise as she goes and she will be much like Bill was a very effective President. Stien and Johnson are wasted votes and Trump is a madman. Really there is only one choice come November and that's HRC.
    You make good points for most of your post, but you went off the rails here.

Hillary will not be an effective president. Don't fall for the common misconception that she will be Bill 2.0. They both have very different personalities. Hillary is far to the left of Bill on most issues. And she will be combative rather than conciliatory when trying to come to a consensus. The Congress Bill faced in 1994 was as hostile as any president faced in my lifetime. Instead of drawing lines in the sand the way the current administration has done things, Bill got together with the other side and worked out compromises for the good of the nation. The ability to work with political opponents in a positive way is not in Hillary's DNA.

Hillary's temper is much worse than Bill's, and is every bit as bad as Trump's. In addition to the threat Hillary poses to the middle class through her economic policies, she will also be a threat to involve us in wars in which we don't belong. She cannot get along with adversaries in her own country. There is no reason to think she will be able to get along with potential enemies overseas.

I'm not posting any of this to try to sway anyone to Trump. I was never going to vote for him, but would have preferred him to Hillary as a lesser of two evils until yesterday's passive-aggressive call for some nut job supporter to bump off his opponent. Maybe my vote for Johnson will be wasted, but I'll be able to sleep at night knowing that I did nothing to help hasten the economic disaster that Hillary's leftist policies will bring. And just maybe, if we get enough people to support a credible third party candidate like Johnson, we can take a few chunks out of the corrupt two party monopoly that is going to eventually be our country's undoing if left unchecked. There is a very good chance that a Clinton (or Trump for that matter) presidency will be disastrous enough to bring on real reform to the political process.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to DirkPiggler For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (08-12-2016)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    He's a worrisome guy but proving to be too incompetent to be truly dangerous. He's also a horrible leader and doesn't attract the types of people he'd need to take over.

If he were the real thing he'd be leading right now because he's had every opportunity.
    That's where I am as well. He's probably too stupid to figure out how to use the launch codes to bring about nuclear destruction.

Hillary, if given a Democratic-controlled Congress, is far more dangerous. The middle class as we know it will cease to exist if she is allowed free reign to implement her leftist Keynesian agenda.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to DirkPiggler For This Useful Post:

FreemanFan (08-12-2016)

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Thread title and then the post don't check out
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    This Republican mayor has an incredibly simple idea to help the homeless. And it seems to be working.

"Next month will be the first anniversary of Albuquerque’s There’s a Better Way program, which hires panhandlers for day jobs beautifying the city. In partnership with a local nonprofit that serves the homeless population, a van is dispatched around the city to pick up panhandlers who are interested in working. The job pays $9 an hour, which is above minimum wage, and provides a lunch. At the end of the shift, the participants are offered overnight shelter as needed.

In less than a year since its start, the program has given out 932 jobs clearing 69,601 pounds of litter and weeds from 196 city blocks. And more than 100 people have been connected to permanent employment.

“You can just see the spiral they’ve been on to end up on the corner. Sometimes it takes a little catalyst in their lives to stop the downward spiral, to let them catch their breath, and it’s remarkable,” Berry said in an interview. ”They’ve had the dignity of work for a day; someone believed in them today."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...to-be-working/

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

FreemanFan (08-12-2016), jpx7 (08-11-2016), keithlaw (08-13-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    That's great, I am coming back from corpus Christi and there are literally hundreds of homeless people that I have seen. I guess if your going to be homeless the beach is a good place.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    That's great, I am coming back from corpus Christi and there are literally hundreds of homeless people that I have seen. I guess if your going to be homeless the beach is a good place.
    My wife and I went to the Florida Keys last summer and we had a woman at a laundromat there tell us the same thing, so many people live outside so much of the time nobody seems to notice, the weather is great, apparently she could find enough to eat, etc. I don't like the concept of people being forced to be homeless, I'm totally OK (at least in principle) with putting them to work for food, shelter, etc., I just think this country has been brewing up a bunch of problems for many years that are about to all come and hit us "up side the head" all at once before long.