Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: McCann clears waivers

On BBA's Top 100 Prospects List PurpleBrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts

McCann clears waivers

New York Yankees catcher Brian McCann has cleared waivers, sources say, making him eligible for a trade this month, if there’s decent interest to make a deal.

There’s no word of any trade talks being hot, but as Today’s Knuckleball reported before the deadline, his old Atlanta Braves team was among those that showed interest in acquiring him. The two teams had talks, but there’s no sense they have anything close at the moment.

The Braves liked the idea of bringing back McCann to be a leader in the clubhouse of their very young team. The Yankees don’t seem to just want to give him away without getting back some young players.

The Texas Rangers were the other team known to have shown interest, but they acquired star Milwaukee Brewers catcher Jonathan Lucroy on deadline day.

McCann has $34 million over 2017-18 to go on his five-year, $85-million Yankees deal, so it’s not surprising he went unclaimed on waivers. McCann is hitting .233 with 15 homers and 44 RBI. He was a seven-time All Star in his nine seasons with the Braves. He hit a career-high 26 home runs last season.

McCann has a full no-trade clause so he’d have the right to veto any trade.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    The no-trade might give us some leverage.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    The Braves are obviously not going to pay Mac $17m per year over the next 2 years, but I would be all for acquiring him if the Yanks ate ~40% of his money.

I think he could be a 2 WAR player next year, and when coupled with Flowers could give the Braves 3+ WAR out of the catcher position. If he could be acquired for a non-elite arm I think he would be as good an addition as Castro.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    After Teix and ARod, there's no reason for Yanks to a pay someone to take Mac.
    Forever Fredi

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    The reason is that they have a catcher they want to play.
    We should not give up anything for mccan. I'd be pissed if we sent lein or povse for him

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,705 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    The reason is that they have a catcher they want to play.
    We should not give up anything for mccan. I'd be pissed if we sent lein or povse for him
    Give em banuelos back

7. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

auyushu (08-07-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    muk for mac

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-07-2016), The Chosen One (08-07-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    If he clears waivers I would like to see us try and pick up Erasmo Ramirez... It's been speculated that he could clear waivers and he's got a lot of talent and has had success in the past as a starter. He may need a change of scenery

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    A. J., Whalen, and Ricardo Sanchez for Mac and $14 million.

They can be the "bad guys" and release A. J.. Moving those two arms will help clear up what are bound to be logjams in Gwinnett, Carolina, and Rome next season.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    I wouldn't give them ANY prospect. Someone like AJ or maybe Markakis...no prospects. We are doing them a favor, not the other way around. We are the ONLY team that is in a position to take him on in a way where he could be helpful.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I'd trade markakis. Not Whalen or Sanchez.

For Whalen I'd want more money. For Sanchez I want a lot of money.

They have a better, cheaper c. This is a salary dump. Mac has a no trade. Use Sanchez upside in a move for a player with upside

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    A. J., Whalen, and Ricardo Sanchez for Mac and $14 million.

They can be the "bad guys" and release A. J.. Moving those two arms will help clear up what are bound to be logjams in Gwinnett, Carolina, and Rome next season.
    Heck no I'm not giving up Whalen or Sanchez in any deal for McCann

15. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

buck75 (08-07-2016)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    You folks realize they're not going to give him away AND eat money, right? With Beltran, Teixeira, and now A-Rod gone, they've got plenty of ABs at DH, backup C, and backup 1B to give Mac to make sure Sanchez and Judge adjust like they hope instead of just giving him away.

As for Markakis, what in the world would the Yankees do with him?

Ellsbury, Gardner, Aaron Hicks, Clint Frazier, Aaron Judge, Dustin Fowler, and Billy McKinney give them 7 OFs that all could be ready next season already. They wouldn't take Markakis' money back unless we included a prospect or two anyway - he'd simply be in their way.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    You folks realize they're not going to give him away AND eat money, right? With Beltran, Teixeira, and now A-Rod gone, they've got plenty of ABs at DH, backup C, and backup 1B to give Mac to make sure Sanchez and Judge adjust like they hope instead of just giving him away.

As for Markakis, what in the world would the Yankees do with him?

Ellsbury, Gardner, Aaron Hicks, Clint Frazier, Aaron Judge, Dustin Fowler, and Billy McKinney give them 7 OFs that all could be ready next season already. They wouldn't take Markakis' money back unless we included a prospect or two anyway - he'd simply be in their way.
    Well then it's simple. In that case I don't want him. He's declining, in one of the best power parks for LH batters in the league. He's not worth 2 good prospects at all. Why would we do it when we can sign a Castro who's younger and doesn't cost prospects at all?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    U realize he's not that good right?

Between c 1b and dh they have better options. Better than Mac for all if those.

He's only an avg or better hitter at catcher.

If we get him we get him at salary dump rates. The yanks have a guy they want to move with a full no trade. If they prefer to keep him on the roster as an expensive back up then god bless them.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    U realize he's not that good right?

Between c 1b and dh they have better options. Better than Mac for all if those.

He's only an avg or better hitter at catcher.

If we get him we get him at salary dump rates. The yanks have a guy they want to move with a full no trade. If they prefer to keep him on the roster as an expensive back up then god bless them.
    I can understand wanting the Braves to pick up McCann for free (or not to acquire him at all), but I don't think the Yankees have any urgency to do something just to get him off the roster. 25 HR power has value. They certainly can afford him if they want.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I can understand wanting the Braves to pick up McCann for free (or not to acquire him at all), but I don't think the Yankees have any urgency to do something just to get him off the roster. 25 HR power has value. They certainly can afford him if they want.
    they have two younger catchers they want to go with. So there is motivation.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    149 Posts
    AJ for BMac -- Even swap!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Not that I would give up valuable prospects for Mac, but he's still a good hitting catcher. Tied for 5th, actually, among qualifying catchers in wRC+. And aside from about 20 points BA, he's hitting right at career averages. He's playing better away from Yankee Stadium this year as well.

Point being, he's still a valuable catcher, albeit a much overpaid one. But he's significantly better than a guy like Castro. I agree that I wouldn't send much in return for a guy the Yankees are clearly trying to dump. They don't really have any negotiating leverage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Judge could do that now.
    His value is as a catcher. He is not a good enough hitter to dh or 1b.

If the yanks want prospects then let's trade for one of the young catchers