Thread: OT: Prado delivers on promise to special-needs fan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts

OT: Prado delivers on promise to special-needs fan

I know Martin Prado is now a D'Back, but he will always be one of my favorites. This story reminds me of one time when Dale Murphy did the same for a sick fan in the 80's. Check it out here.

That said, I recall them saying tonight that Prado has the most hits in MLB since the All-Star break. He is also up to 68 RBI's now (he's been an RBI machine lately including 3 RBI's tonight). He's now just a few RBI's off where he finished last year and has three more homeruns too. So after his slow start he's really come on strong and seems back on track. He's also now showing more power playing in Arizona as we expected.
    Last edited by Braves1976; 08-27-2013 at 01:41 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Braves1976 For This Useful Post:

Javyz1fan (08-27-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    I love prado! and like you said he is one of my all time favorites. He reminds me of that saying "Hard work beats talent when talent don't work hard"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    That's a great story. I will always miss Prado. He was my favorite of the newer Braves.

I never spoke to him myself, but I saw him a lot in the minors. He was obviously a nice guy who treated the fans well. Kudos.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Prado's a good player and I'm glad to see him doing well. He scuffled early this season, but he has been on fire the past two months. Great guy to have on a team.

That said, if it takes Prado to get J. Upton, you make that deal every time. I just wish Kevin Towers was a meth head and would have accepted Uggla instead.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Prado's a good player and I'm glad to see him doing well. He scuffled early this season, but he has been on fire the past two months. Great guy to have on a team.

That said, if it takes Prado to get J. Upton, you make that deal every time. I just wish Kevin Towers was a meth head and would have accepted Uggla instead.
    This. Sadly we couldn't convince him to take Uggla or Maholm but 2 good guys, but heck, we still more than made out in that trade. Certainly in 2013 and likely for the next 2 years as well. DBacks will be better positioned long term potentially (because of so many prospects going to them) but that's usually what happens when you trade a star player for prospects.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    This. Sadly we couldn't convince him to take Uggla or Maholm but 2 good guys, but heck, we still more than made out in that trade. Certainly in 2013 and likely for the next 2 years as well. DBacks will be better positioned long term potentially (because of so many prospects going to them) but that's usually what happens when you trade a star player for prospects.
    No complaints from me. J. Upton has been up-and-down a bit, but the guy can flat-out hit and his presence is absolutely crucial for our success. As much as I like Prado, he's a support-level guy (a very good support-level guy, but that level nonetheless) and he's the kind of guy who provides a lot of "glue" to a team. But that type of "glue" is only truly valuable when it is attaching more valuable parts together. In other words, you win with the big dogs.

I don't want to dump too much on Uggla, but his performance slide (And I don't care about where he ranks vis-a-vis other 2Bs. He plays "bat" for the Braves and that's why he was acquired.) left a giant hole in the Braves' offense that made it necessary to go after someone like J. Upton. And there's no denying that we got the better end of the trade in the short term. As for the long term, Delgado has to pitch well and Drury has to develop for the D-Backs to get commensurate value. Prado is a nice piece to a puzzle, but he's not worth J. Upton in any universe.

And don't get me wrong, I think the world of Martin Prado.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    I don't disagree that Uggla made getting Upton more pressing, but I don't think it's the only reason. When you have a shot to grab a potential MVP candidate for pennies on the dollar you do it. If Uggla was raking I'm pretty sure Wren still would have done that trade.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    True. Because Uggla raking would make Prado superfluous.