Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 8/14 MINORS SUNDAY FINAL: Fried Back, Teheran rehabs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    The Demeritte trade could end up being an epic steal.
    What has gotten into him? Last 10 games, he 14 walks and 11 strike outs. In Texas' A Adv, he had 125 strike outs and 41 walks in 331 ab's. That's 37.8% strike out rate and 12.6% walk rate. Since getting to Carolina, he's struck out 24 times and walked 16 times in 55 ab's. That's 43.6% strike out rate and 29% walk rate... Both of these percentages are trending in the right direction

Edited.... This is all wrong. Not sure why I calculated bb rate and k rate on ABs.

At Carolina, demeritte is walking at a 22.2% clip (16 bb in 72 PAs). He's striking out at a 33.3% clip (24 k in 72 PAs)

Sorry
    Last edited by msstate7; 08-15-2016 at 01:31 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    What has gotten into him? Last 10 games, he 14 walks and 11 strike outs. In Texas' A Adv, he had 125 strike outs and 41 walks in 331 ab's. That's 37.8% strike out rate and 12.6% walk rate. Since getting to Carolina, he's struck out 24 times and walked 16 times in 55 ab's. That's 43.6% strike out rate and 29% walk rate... Both of these percentages are trending in the right direction
    I've seen people online talking about how good his approach has been. Maybe the trade was a kick in the right direction - and he was tearing it up before. lol

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Peterson has really stepped it up. I keep thinking of when Coppy was in the booth one game and alluded to him possibly playing some 3B. It was subtle, but I wonder if he has the athleticism to do so.

Someone has gotten in Travis's ear about his walk rate. Whatever he's doing is working. Just got to cut down on those K's. We stole him for scrap heap placeholders. It's the reason I see us stocking up on some vet placeholders this offseason. Common logic would say better placeholders would mean better prospects in return.

Cumbeland's struggles are worrisome, but it also may be the fact that he's focusing on his catching. Most said he wouldn't be able to stick. If we're trying to make him stick that could be where his focus is. So, I'm going to be a little more patent with him until we figure out what we're doing with him. I say move him to LF and let him focus on hitting. Switch hitting power hitters are valuable no matter where they play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    Peterson has really stepped it up. I keep thinking of when Coppy was in the booth one game and alluded to him possibly playing some 3B. It was subtle, but I wonder if he has the athleticism to do so.

Someone has gotten in Travis's ear about his walk rate. Whatever he's doing is working. Just got to cut down on those K's. We stole him for scrap heap placeholders. It's the reason I see us stocking up on some vet placeholders this offseason. Common logic would say better placeholders would mean better prospects in return.

Cumbeland's struggles are worrisome, but it also may be the fact that he's focusing on his catching. Most said he wouldn't be able to stick. If we're trying to make him stick that could be where his focus is. So, I'm going to be a little more patent with him until we figure out what we're doing with him. I say move him to LF and let him focus on hitting. Switch hitting power hitters are valuable no matter where they play.
    I'd love to get DPete at 3rd and add a guy like Ramos. The lineup could be pretty solid then!

Albies 2B
    Swanson SS
    Freeman 1B
    Kemp LF
    Ramos C
    DPete 3B
    Inciarte CF
    Pitcher
    M. Smith RF

You could configure the lineup several ways, but it could be a lot of fun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    If we're thinking of Peterson at 3b, shouldn't he be there now? Unless we move Ruiz to Atlanta, Peterson and Ruiz will be in Gwinnett next season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    If we're thinking of Peterson at 3b, shouldn't he be there now? Unless we move Ruiz to Atlanta, Peterson and Ruiz will be in Gwinnett next season
    That's a good point. I wonder what the plan is. I like Ruiz, but I'm not super high on him. I would LOVE for him to be an above-average starting 3B, but I don't see it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    I wonder if Fried was told not to throw his curve. Curves are much tougher on the fingers and this was his first start back from the DL after being out with blisters. It wouldn't surprise me if he had his curve taken away or at least seriously limited. Since that's probably his best pitch he was predictably hammered.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I don't know that we are. I just recall Coppy mentioning it. He also mentioned how there were a number of free agent catchers available and then tried to trade for McCann.

I did find it odd when he listed our targets for next season a month or so ago he listed Catcher, RH OF, 2 RH relievers, and a starter, but didn't list 3B. Who really knows with politician talk? I'm just spitballing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    I don't think Peterson at 3b is an option or he would be there and not moved off the hot corner at first.

Fried should be getting close to innings limits one would think.
    Ivermectin Man

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Peterson played 3B in the Padres' system, but the Braves obviously thought he fit better in the OF. I wouldn't be surprised if he logged some innings there in the future, but my guess is he's not viewed as a full-time guy at the position. Curious to see if he plays in the winter league and if he does play some IF. Versatility would help his cause.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Peterson played 3B in the Padres' system, but the Braves obviously thought he fit better in the OF. I wouldn't be surprised if he logged some innings there in the future, but my guess is he's not viewed as a full-time guy at the position. Curious to see if he plays in the winter league and if he does play some IF. Versatility would help his cause.
    Will be interesting to see what they do with Ruiz as well. Ruiz and Peterson are going to be part of the mix by 2018 if not 2017 at corner infield and outfield. We'll have a situation where guys like Smith, Peterson and Ruiz will be pushing the incumbents.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Will be interesting to see what they do with Ruiz as well. Ruiz and Peterson are going to be part of the mix by 2018 if not 2017 at corner infield and outfield. We'll have a situation where guys like Smith, Peterson and Ruiz will be pushing the incumbents.
    Could be a great opportunity to work those guys in and put them in positions where they can succeed as opposed to expecting them all to be 600 AB guys out of the gate. Peterson has an OPS > .900 vs. LHP so he looks like someone who can serve as a part of a platoon at the very least. Ruiz has been much better against RHP than he has against LHP, so he could be a platoon guy as well.

I think the key will be to let these guys get their feet under them before we expect too much.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    If the incumbents are being "pushed" by players like Mallex, Peterson and Ruiz the Braves didn't have incumbents worth worrying about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    If the incumbents are being "pushed" by players like Mallex, Peterson and Ruiz the Braves didn't have incumbents worth worrying about.
    Come on man. Peterson and Smith have the chance to be very valuable.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Could be a great opportunity to work those guys in and put them in positions where they can succeed as opposed to expecting them all to be 600 AB guys out of the gate. Peterson has an OPS > .900 vs. LHP so he looks like someone who can serve as a part of a platoon at the very least. Ruiz has been much better against RHP than he has against LHP, so he could be a platoon guy as well.

I think the key will be to let these guys get their feet under them before we expect too much.
    I agree. Both of these guys should be eased in as complimentary players. Put them in a position to succeed and help the team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts

Yup. Elite prospects like Albies and Swanson you clear a path for. Guys like Smith, Peterson and Ruiz you don't. Rather you give them an opportunity as injuries/performance issues arise with the guys holding down their positions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    In 58 games, mallex had a WAR of 1.2. If he maintained that pace, that would be 3.4 for a full season.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    In 58 games, mallex had a WAR of 1.2. If he maintained that pace, that would be 3.4 for a full season.
    OK I concede, Mallex can probably be the starting CFer if Inciarte is traded to fill another position of need long term. In fact, an Inciarte for Baez swap makes a lot of sense in part because Mallex has shown enough in CF, in my opinion.

However, Mallex Smith is not better than Ender Inciarte and will not be pushing him anywhere.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Maybe I'm misreading you? How is going from a 37.8% K-rate to a 43.6% K-rate "trending in the right direction"? Obviously the doubling of the walk-rate is excellent to see, but I'd think we'd want to see that coincide with fewer strikeouts.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Maybe I'm misreading you? How is going from a 37.8% K-rate to a 43.6% K-rate "trending in the right direction"? Obviously the doubling of the walk-rate is excellent to see, but I'd think we'd want to see that coincide with fewer strikeouts.
    Should've seen demeritte's strike out rate when he first got to Carolina haha. His k rate is actually pretty much lately where he was for the Rangers so it really isn't trending the right direction. Sorry

21. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-15-2016)