Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: If the Braves don't think Heyward will be back for the Playoffs...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    So right now we are looking at a playoff bench of(if Heyward doesnt return) - Laird, Gattis, Terdo, RJohnson, EJohnson?

Is it really a need to get another bench player?

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunit24 View Post
    So right now we are looking at a playoff bench of(if Heyward doesnt return) - Laird, Gattis, Terdo, RJohnson, EJohnson?

Is it really a need to get another bench player?
    I have no doubt that JHey will be back for the playoffs. I feel like he would be back in the regular season if it wasn't for the big lead. I wish he was back for the last week to get some swings against live pitching but that may be a stretch.

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    He said in the game the other day when interviewed that he was going to start working out on Thursday (today).

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,013 Posts
    If at all possible, he needs to be in there before the postseason. Don't need him completely cold starting the playoffs. But I'll be happy with any Jason at all.

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Here's my question(s): If Heyward doesn't return, do the Braves need another bat to replace his production? I say 'yes' because I don't see Uggla or BJ suddenly turning it around the last month.
    If Heyward does return at least by the play-offs and is closer to form than some think, do the Braves need a bench bat? Maybe; El Oso Blanco has been transparent since his trip to the DL and do you trust some of these guys in key pinch hit situations? (Terdo, Laird, ??).
    Here's the problem: how are we going to be able to get anyone? Thanks to these ridiculous waiver wire rules, anyone we could actually claim would have to be either (1) too expensive or (2) too rotten to bother with because all of the good to decent ones will be claimed by the teams fighting us for 'best record' and play-off spots.
    Wren has 2 1/2 days left, only a couple of needs, but I don't see how he is going to fill them with his hands tied by the waiver wire...

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,013 Posts
    Marlon Byrd was our chance to get anyone of significance. So we're just going to have to hope we can get by. Hope that Schafer can build off the last couple days, and BJ/Uggla give us something.

Prosecutor of the
    International Criminal Court

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    Maybe i'm a minority but i still think jason will be back. If anything I think they are being very cautious not to put any unnecessary pressure on him to come back...But there is an absolute chance he gets back

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    I think he comes back as well. He may have some funky helmet to help proect himself but I saw whatever. Play him. If he get's re-injured you have the whole offseason to heal. It's your jaw. Not an elbow or shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by AJonesATL View Post
    Maybe i'm a minority but i still think jason will be back. If anything I think they are being very cautious not to put any unnecessary pressure on him to come back...But there is an absolute chance he gets back

High School Draftee ProbationDeac's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AJonesATL View Post
    Agreed, I think he comes back as well.

Creepy Lurking Stalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ProbationDeac View Post
    Agreed, I think he comes back as well.
    I think he'll be back for postseason play if not the last few regular season games. I'm not worried about the rust of his swing, but I am worried about the mental aspect of facing live pitching again when it matters. The psyche factor has got to play in somewhere. How strong will Jason be is the question.