Thread: Early Discussion: Braves MVP

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Offensive MVP: Freeman
    Pitching MVP: Medlen

I think if you get a chance of Justin Upton, you go for it. I think Prado's impending contract had something to do with moving him, but it was more that you have to "give to get." Prado is a good second-tier player. Upton is inconsistent, but he's a borderline first-tier guy who can carry a team (which we saw for part of the season). Good deal for both teams if Upton was intent on getting out of Arizona.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 09-30-2013 at 08:19 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post

I think if you get a chance of Justin Upton, you go for it. I think Prado's impending contract had something to do with moving him, but it was more that you have to "give to get." Prado is a good second-tier player. Upton is inconsistent, but he's a borderline first-tier guy who can carry a team (which we saw for part of the season). Good deal for both teams if Upton was intent on getting out of Arizona.
    Agreed all around.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post

I was under the impression that the Arizona GM was the one intent on getting Upton out of town. In fact it was reported that Upton was building a mansion there.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    I was under the impression that the Arizona GM was the one intent on getting Upton out of town. In fact it was reported that Upton was building a mansion there.
    Who knows what the truth is? My point is on a value-for-value basis, we came out ahead in the short term and we don't know about the long term. I love Prado as a player (I was one of his first, strongest, and most consistent backers on the old board) and I'd rather have him on one leg than Uggla on two, but that wasn't going to happen given Uggla's contract and Wren's and Gonzalez' irrational love affair with the guy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Freeman finished as one of the 10 best offensive players in the NL this season. Not too bad at all. Easily the mvp of the team, imo.

A lot of the experts say the Braves are an all or nothing team yet we finished with two hitters in the top 5 in the NL in batting average.
    Last edited by weso1; 09-30-2013 at 05:45 PM. Reason: looked at the wrong thing.
    thank you weso1!

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    Freeman finished as one of the 10 best offensive players in the NL this season. Not too bad at all. Easily the mvp of the team, imo.

A lot of the experts say the Braves are an all or nothing team yet we finished with two hitters in the top 5 in the NL in batting average and finished 6th in the league in team OBP. We actually only wound up 7th in the league in strikeouts.
    We have a few hackers but not too many. Uggla and Bossman are the only 2 with a ton of PA who K over 30% of the time. Then we have in the 25-30 range Justin and Schafer, and in the 20-25 Gattis and Johnson. Freeman Heyward and Mac in 15-20, and Simmons was under 10% The hacking issue with us was guys like Johnson, Gattis, and Simmons who may not K too much but don't walk almost at all.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg