Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,468 Posts

Early Discussion: Braves MVP

While we still have a month of baseball to go I think it's a good time to start up the discussion as to who the team's MVP has been. To me there's really only 5 options. Simmons, Freddie, Jason, Minor and Kimbrel.

Obviously the last month of the season could change the debate but I'll state the cases for each. I left guys who've been key contributors off like Julio, Justin, Mac, and Johnson because for Julio he's been outclassed by Minor, and the other 3 guys primary asset is offense and Freddie has outhit them.

By any WAR metric Simmons is our most valuable player because of his defense. He doesn't bring much else to the team with poor offensive numbers and averagish in the bases. But he's been amazing with the glove and his glove has saved the 2 guys next to him many times. Not to mention picked up our staff. With arguably 2 of the worst defenders to his left and his right Simmons still puts up insane numbers. One could argue with better defenders (especially at 3B) he wouldn't have the same numbers because that 3B may eat into some of his great plays but regardless he's insane.

Freddie is out best hitter. Not lighting the world on fire but his 141 wRC+ is the best on the team by 8 points (Mac is second, Justin and Johnson are one point behind Mac) Power is a little low but he's spraying line drives everywhere. If he and Jason keep up their K% and BB% (hopefulyl improve on them as well) and add some power we'll have 2 great bats with them.

Jason the best combination of defense and offense we have. 118 wRC+ while not amazing is very good and his UZR of 12.7 is excellent. Heyward was on pace to have as good of a year as he had last year sans baserunning which would have made him if healthy a 5+ WAR player. But alas he's been hurt and now is done for the year potentially. The case that makes Heyward most interesting is our record with him vs without. Could be 100% coincidental, could not. Without him we're a below .500 team, with him we're like a .700 win team or something insane like that. I don't care to do the numbers but IIRC in the 95 games he's played we've won like 64 of them Again may be wrong on the exact numbers but the difference is staggering something like 60 wins when he starts (89 or 90 games IIRC) and then we have like 19 in the remaining 40ish. Again could be coincidental but watching the team play with Heyward vs without is night and day.

Minor is our best starting pitcher, while Julio has been awesome, Minor is his superior in nearly every way (ERA, FIP, xFIP, SIERA, tERA, you name it Minor is best) so if you believe our most valuable player is a pitcher (I don't) then it would be Minor

Kimbrel would be your vote if you believe his ability to shut down games is key. While not a demigod like last year, Kimbrel sports a great ERA, great FIP, and great xFIP. If you're a believer in save stats he's already saved as many games as last year and has the same number of blown saves. A few more saves without a blown save and he has better save numbers than last year.

Should make for an interesting discussion now and should really make for an interesting story to follow the rest of the way.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

bravebonebook (08-28-2013), jpx7 (08-28-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    I go Minor.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Maholm
    Natural Immunity Croc

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    I would consider Chris Johnson part of this discussion as well.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    You left out the most important criterion. Who has the most multi-hit games?

I'm sure it's Chris Johnson. WHY LOVEST THOU NOT LORD BABIP?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

holden (09-24-2013), Mrs. Meta (08-28-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Has anyone mentioned Justin's hot start that pretty much on it's own provide a cushion?
    Gattis' first two months?
    Of the 8 regulars 6 deserve mention

End of the day we aren't even talking about this or magic numbers without Kimbrel.
    Been watching baseball for over 50 years and have never seen anyone dictate games / series the way this guy does.
    Tonight Tito will manage the first inning with Kimbrell in mind

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    I wouldn't say we have just one MVP, though Simmons is the one player we can least afford to lose. A number of players have made huge contributions at key times during the season (including bench players).

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    It's really been a team effort this year so it's tough to point at one player being the team MVP, but I would have to go with Freeman, and Simmons a close second. The bullpen as a whole has probably been better than ever. I can't even remember the last time anyone there blew a save. But that's not one guy.

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,013 Posts
    Obviously a lot of different guys have contributed throughout the season. Heyward got moved to leadoff, found his groove and we took off. Now with him out, we're back to struggling again. Freddie has been solid all year, and Simmons is special on defense, while Minor has come into his own on the mound.

But to me, it's Kimbrel. Out of our 79 wins this year, he's saved 42 of them. I love Avilan and Walden, but Kimbrel is the one guy we absolutely cannot lose. It would be a death sentence for our WS hopes, honestly. While he isn't quite the machine he was last season, he's still above and beyond his contemporaries. While nothing is automatic, think about how much ease we feel with a lead in the ninth compared to other teams.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,731 Posts
    I agree it is Freeman for all the reasons already stated. Also he has hit .439 with risp which is a big deal for a team that can struggle to score runs consistently.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    Don't look now Freeman doubters, but his OPS is now .892.

not sure if it's possible, but his OBP is also .392...he could pontentially end .300/.400/.500 if he stays hot for the last few games.
    Last edited by Orphan Black; 09-23-2013 at 01:26 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orphan Black View Post

not sure if it's possible, but his OBP is also .392...he could pontentially end .300/.400/.500 if he stays hot for the last few games.
    Chipper-like. And better than Chipper's age 23 season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    I still say Kimbrell. Not taking anything from Freeman - but lots of players have those years.
    What Kimbrell brings to this team is other worldly.

My guess is playoff teams are already trying to figure out how to make sure they have successful early innings to avoid having to deal with that.
    Like any hitter, Freeman can be pitched to. Kimbrell is something no other team can bring to a game.

Hell, let them share it. ****, I dont think either cares who gets the credit. That is why this team is so special

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Chipper-like. And better than Chipper's age 23 season.
    Agreed. How remarkable is it that Chipper went .300/.400/.500 for his career?

Six guys in history have done that with 450 HR, 1500 runs and RBI - Ruth, Gehrig, Williams, Foxx, Musial and CJones.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (09-27-2013), thethe (09-25-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    Agreed. How remarkable is it that Chipper went .300/.400/.500 for his career?

Six guys in history have done that with 450 HR, 1500 runs and RBI - Ruth, Gehrig, Williams, Foxx, Musial and CJones.
    Just incredible....Thanks for that.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orphan Black View Post

It's also interesting that he sits the day after the division is clinched. Makes me think he told Fredi not to rest him until the division was locked up.

If his power takes another step forward next year we are looking at a bonafide MVP candidate.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 09-23-2013 at 03:58 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    It's also interesting that he sits the day after the division is clinched. Makes me think he told Fredi not to rest him until the division was locked up.

If his power takes another step forward next year we are looking at a bonafide MVP candidate.
    Just like some of us have been saying for two years. He is by far our best hitter and will ontinue to get better. Not sure why its crazy to think he will be a top 5-10 firstbaseman for the next 10 years.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    This year, it's probably Simmons, followed closely by Freddie.

Had Jason been healthier, he would have walked away with it.