Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: GDT: BRAVES VS TWINS: SWANSON MLB DEBUT!

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,373 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    As much as I and everyone else wants Swanson to be the man for the next 10 plus years the real truth is that his pre FA years are likely going to be most of the best years of his career. He's 23 and that's a big deal. The ideal scenario would be to extend him 2-3 years until he is 31-32 and let him play his decline years on a fat contract somewhere else. This is all assuming he becomes the legit player we want him to be.
    right, but he could also be bought out of his Arb years plus one or two more. If the Braves believe in him and he shows something by this time next season, then they may work on a contract early in his career to get the discount... much like they have done in the past.

I am just saying that the Johns are not just blindly calling him up or panicking and trying anything to win... they have been calculated in many other ways and I don't think this situation is different. could this blow up in their face, sure.. but every decision they make has a chance to do that. But to call it a Dumb move is dumb in its self.. you don't have all the info so how can anyone call it dumb.. you are judging on very limited knowledge. you can be confused by it.. or even disagree with it.. but I am beginning to think the Niners and Chefs of the board are starting to rub off on everyone.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,867 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    right, but he could also be bought out of his Arb years plus one or two more. If the Braves believe in him and he shows something by this time next season, then they may work on a contract early in his career to get the discount... much like they have done in the past.

I am just saying that the Johns are not just blindly calling him up or panicking and trying anything to win... they have been calculated in many other ways and I don't think this situation is different. could this blow up in their face, sure.. but every decision they make has a chance to do that. But to call it a Dumb move is dumb in its self.. you don't have all the info so how can anyone call it dumb.. you are judging on very limited knowledge. you can be confused by it.. or even disagree with it.. but I am beginning to think the Niners and Chefs of the board are starting to rub off on everyone.
    I agree. I think Swanson already being 23 factors into this. It would be different in a Heyward type situation where you come up as a 20 year old and would be hitting FA at 26. Smack in the middle of your prime. You would want that extra year for cheap. Extending Swanson for 2-3 years would really be the ideal scenario.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I agree. I think Swanson already being 23 factors into this. It would be different in a Heyward type situation where you come up as a 20 year old and would be hitting FA at 26. Smack in the middle of your prime. You would want that extra year for cheap. Extending Swanson for 2-3 years would really be the ideal scenario.
    I think this is the best argument, such as it is. I'd still rather have age 24–29 than 23–28
    seasons, but here we are: so I hope Swanson tears it up the remainder of the year and goes into 2017 with a billowy head of steam.
    Last edited by jpx7; 08-18-2016 at 01:16 PM.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."