Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Worst Players For Atlanta?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,496 Posts

Worst Players For Atlanta?

The whole Aybar situation has gotten me thinking about who are some of the worst players Atlanta has had on it's roster.......Let's go back to 2005......Let's keep this to players on offense instead of pitching (we all know that Wickman, Kolb, etc.)

Melvin Upton Jr.
    Dan Uggla
    Erick Aybar
    Nate McClouth
    Craig Wilson
    Willy Aybar
    Chris Woodward
    Greg Norton
    Raul Mondesi
    Melky Cabrera

That is a list of 10 players in no particular order. What would be your top 10
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,995 Posts
    Albie Lopez and Reggie Sanders

Oh... 10

Albie Lopez
    Reggie Sanders
    Kotchman
    Melvin
    Wickman
    Kolb
    Garrett Anderson
    Greg Norton
    Craig Wilson
    Eric Aybar

Mondesi and Melky are close honorable mentions... sorry I can't read and added pitchers... I also can't read and added some players on the team pre 2005... oh well, still my list.
    Last edited by zbhargrove; 08-17-2016 at 03:44 PM.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,874 Posts
    For their entire time here or for a given season? Because there been a couple of real stinkers. Like Francouer's 2008 season. Can't forget about Garret Anderson memorable 2009 season with the team.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,496 Posts
    forgot about the GREAT Garrett Anderson!
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,496 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    For their entire time here or for a given season? Because there been a couple of real stinkers. Like Francouer's 2008 season. Can't forget about Garret Anderson memorable 2009 season with the team.
    Um, we can go with worst season if you would like.
    Get off my lawn!

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,976 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    The whole Aybar situation has gotten me thinking about who are some of the worst players Atlanta has had on it's roster.......Let's go back to 2005......Let's keep this to players on offense instead of pitching (we all know that Wickman, Kolb, etc.)

Melvin Upton Jr.
    Dan Uggla
    Erick Aybar
    Nate McClouth
    Craig Wilson
    Willy Aybar
    Chris Woodward
    Greg Norton
    Raul Mondesi
    Melky Cabrera

That is a list of 10 players in no particular order. What would be your top 10
    I won't argue with your choices, but the contents of the list make me realize how young you are. I would only mildly dispute Melky. He was bad in Atlanta, but he's managed to stick around. The same may hold true for Melvin. I think Melky came to Atlanta and took advantage of Bobby's reputation as a players' manager. That and the extra helpings in the off-season really produced that horrid season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,995 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I won't argue with your choices, but the contents of the list make me realize how young you are. I would only mildly dispute Melky. He was bad in Atlanta, but he's managed to stick around. The same may hold true for Melvin. I think Melky came to Atlanta and took advantage of Bobby's reputation as a players' manager. That and the extra helpings in the off-season really produced that horrid season.
    I think we're only talking about their time as Braves here. Melky was awful. He's been good elsewhere.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

bravesfanforlife88 (08-17-2016)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,874 Posts
    http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.asp...rs=0&sort=21,a

WAR in a given season since 2005 starting with the worst. LaRoche tops the list but I would give a pass as they rated him brutally on defense that year. #2 is Melky and I would say that is the worst individual season the Braves have had in that time frame.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-18-2016)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Melky is my pick. First, last, and always. Nobody else can quite top his skill set: clueless approach at the plate, complete indifference to defense, ****ty conditioning, and general lack of effort.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

CyYoung31 (08-18-2016), Hawk (08-17-2016), jpx7 (08-18-2016), thewupk (08-17-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,053 Posts

14. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

bravesfanforlife88 (08-17-2016), chop2chip (08-17-2016), FreemanFan (08-17-2016), Hawk (08-17-2016), jpx7 (08-18-2016), Julio3000 (08-17-2016), Managuarantano's Volunteers (08-17-2016), Prikichi (08-17-2016), thewupk (08-17-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.asp...rs=0&sort=21,a

WAR in a given season since 2005 starting with the worst. LaRoche tops the list but I would give a pass as they rated him brutally on defense that year. #2 is Melky and I would say that is the worst individual season the Braves have had in that time frame.
    5 of the worst 25 player seasons were this year. That's how you build the worst team of this young millennium.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Everybody used to piss and moan relentlessly about Mondesi, but he didn't make much, wasn't even there that long and it wasn't as if there were any great expectations. Brian Jordan v. 2.0, it was the same thing. Some dip****s at Scout even combined their names, Jordesi. How cute.

Why are we arbitrarily only going back 11 years and restricting this from including pitchers?

If you're going to have a thread about worst Braves, open it up to include anybody in franchise history. So, not to derail the topic, going to insert a name that is way pre-2005 and a pitcher. It has to be Len Baker.

This guy coasted, largely on his reputation from throwing a perfect game. He was supposed to an important addition to solidify the (cough) '83 rotation. While blame can't be totally placed on him for the mediocre performance (to be charitable) that followed, it was the absence of the players he was traded for that caused irreparable damage to the organization.

Rick Behenna - OK, his being gone hurt nothing and was much less than our more recent pal, Matt Harrison
    Brett Butler - premier defensive CF and ideal leadoff hitter, also had a name, similar to Rhett Butler, which played well in the SE
    Brook Jacoby - 3B, now although he was not among the absolute best, he would have inserted seamlessly into the lineup on either of the occassions that Bob Horner broke his wrist

It is most assuredly a common refrain to wail about getting Texeira and the after-effects. This deal caused significant damage with less to show. Would love to pick Joe Torre's brain on this transaction.
    Last edited by Knucksie; 08-17-2016 at 08:58 PM.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Knucksie For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-18-2016), TomahawkCult (08-20-2016), VirginiaBrave (08-17-2016)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,976 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    Everybody used to piss and moan relentlessly about Mondesi, but he didn't make much, wasn't even there that long and it wasn't as if there were any great expectations. Brian Jordan v. 2.0, it was the same thing. Some dip****s at Scout even combined their names, Jordesi. How cute.

Why are we arbitrarily only going back 11 years and restricting this from including pitchers?

If you're going to have a thread about worst Braves, open it up to include anybody in franchise history. So, not to derail the topic, going to insert a name that is way pre-2005 and a pitcher. It has to be Len Baker.

This guy coasted, largely on his reputation from throwing a perfect game. He was supposed to an important addition to solidify the (cough) '83 rotation. While blame can't be totally placed on him for the mediocre performance (to be charitable) that followed, it was the absence of the players he was traded for that caused practically irreparable damage to the organization.

Rick Behenna - OK, his being gone hurt nothing and was much less than our more recent pal, Matt Harrison
    Brett Butler - premier defensive CF and ideal leadoff hitter, also had a name, similar to Rhett Butler, which played well in the SE
    Brook Jacoby - 3B, now although he was not among the absolute best, he would have inserted seemlessly into the lineup on either of the occassions that Bob Horner broke his wrist

It is most assuredly a common refrain to wail about getting Texeira and the after-effects. This deal caused significant damage with less to show. Would love to pick Joe Torre's brain on this transaction.
    I thought about Barker as well.

My choice is Andres Thomas. As bad as Melky was, Andres Thomas' OPS in each of his five-plus seasons in Atlanta was lower than Melky's .671. Add to that Thomas' generally horsecrap defense and you have my nominee.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-18-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    forgot about the GREAT Garrett Anderson!
    How can anyone forget "Two Step" Anderson? Homie had such great range in LF, a whole two steps...

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    490 Posts

My choice is Andres Thomas. As bad as Melky was, Andres Thomas' OPS in each of his five-plus seasons in Atlanta was lower than Melky's .671. Add to that Thomas' generally horsecrap defense and you have my nominee.
    Anybody remember when Chipper? (think it was him) introduced Andres Thomas as a "Future Hall of Famer?"

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    It all starts and ends with that piece of garbage Melky smelly Cabrera. And we traded Vazquez for him to top it all off! JS and the entire organization had a raging boner for Melky and tried to acquire him multiple times until Wren finally pulled it off and what a disaster it was.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,152 Posts
    Reggie Sanders.
    Nate McLouth
    Dan Uggla
    Melky Cabrera

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post

This guy coasted, largely on his reputation from throwing a perfect game. He was supposed to an important addition to solidify the (cough) '83 rotation. While blame can't be totally placed on him for the mediocre performance (to be charitable) that followed, it was the absence of the players he was traded for that caused practically irreparable damage to the organization.

Brook Jacoby - 3B, now although he was not among the absolute best, he would have inserted seemlessly into the lineup on either of the occassions that Bob Horner broke his wrist

That transaction caused the '85-90 train wreck that was Braves baseball at the big league level.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VirginiaBrave For This Useful Post:

Knucksie (08-17-2016), TomahawkCult (08-20-2016)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts

The man who was traded for Barry Bonds until the Pirates came to their senses.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,152 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBrave View Post
    The man who was traded for Barry Bonds until the Pirates came to their senses.
    I had such hopes for him based on his Topps future stars card.