Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mallex/inciarte

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,705 Posts

Mallex/inciarte

Think we'll keep them both headed into next season? Have we seen enough out mallex to let us trade inciarte? If we like mallex, think we should try and work out a deal for soler with inciarte? If not this deal, who should try and get with inciarte or mallex?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Mallex isn't the defender that Inciarte is. Not sure about who the better hitter would be but I would give the edge to Ender too. I think it depends on what the team wants to do. If they want max wins next year you roll with Ender as he's the better player. If the plan is really a couple years down the road I would trade Ender for what you can get and go with Mallex.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Ender is the safer bet, but Mallex has a higher ceiling and is cheaper in number of years/control. I think we'll trade Ender this year and we'll acquire a RH hitting CF who can play the corner OF spots guy like Cameron Maybin to serve as the 4th OF.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    Ender is the safer bet, but Mallex has a higher ceiling and is cheaper in number of years/control. I think we'll trade Ender this year and we'll acquire a RH hitting CF who can play the corner OF spots guy like Cameron Maybin to serve as the 4th OF.
    Why does Mallex have a higher ceiling? They seem like roughly equivalent hitters with Ender being a much better defender.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    This board has gotten way too trade happy. At this point in his career, there is no way in Hades I trade Inciarte. Seeing Kemp clank that fly ball last night drives home the point how valuable at great CF is -- and he is a great one. He makes it look effortless and that can deceive people. Mallex has proven nothing other than he's prone to fluke injuries, but none of them should stand in the way of his earning a roster spot next year.

In short, I trade Inciarte when he nears free agency.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (08-19-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,705 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Why does Mallex have a higher ceiling? They seem like roughly equivalent hitters with Ender being a much better defender.
    I think mallex gives you more pop and sb's. No question, ender is the better defender

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I think mallex gives you more pop and sb's. No question, ender is the better defender
    I still think we trade Nick and go after a RF. Keep both Mallex and Ender and let Mallex be your 4th OF so you can truly evaluate him.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (08-19-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,705 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I still think we trade Nick and go after a RF. Keep both Mallex and Ender and let Mallex be your 4th OF so you can truly evaluate him.
    This is what I really want. Sub mallex for kemp late

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    We should extent Inciarte.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (08-19-2016), JohnAdcox (08-19-2016)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Yes. Mallex has more pop and more speed, and showed some pretty good defense himself. Yes, Ender is the better defender, but this regime has shown they're willing to sell high on players whose main value lies in their defense.

I wouldn't be opposed if we traded Mallex and kept Ender, or if we traded Markakis, acquired a Righty RF'er and kept both of them. The question of what do I think will happen is we trade Ender and keep Mallex.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Mallex and Inciarte are essentially the same player (light hitting LHed CFer), so the Braves should trade whichever one brings back the best player at C or 3B (I think they feel set in the OF after getting Kemp). The extra control with Mallex might offset some of the certainty and better defense of Inciarte, but I think Inciarte holds quite a bit more trade value than Mallex at this point.

A win-now team like the Cubs will want Inciarte in a trade for Baez, and a team going through a reboot like the Rays will want players with more control like Mallex in a trade for Longoria (who is my bold prediction for the Braves to acquire this offseason). I would trade neither for Mac.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,705 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Mallex and Inciarte are essentially the same player (light hitting LHed CFer), so the Braves should trade whichever one brings back the best player at C or 3B (I think they feel set in the OF after getting Kemp). The extra control with Mallex might offset some of the certainty and better defense of Inciarte, but I think Inciarte holds quite a bit more trade value than Mallex at this point.

A win-now team like the Cubs will want Inciarte in a trade for Baez, and a team going through a reboot like the Rays will want players with more control like Mallex in a trade for Longoria (who is my bold prediction for the Braves to acquire this offseason). I would trade neither for Mac.
    I would love Baez if he could be gotten with inciarte

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I like this. Trade Neck and sign someone like JJ Reddick this winter.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I like this. Trade Neck and sign someone like JJ Reddick this winter.
    I think Reddick is a very good possibility, and the only one we would spend "big money" on. I think we'd still probably trade one of our left handed center fielders if we acquired another left handed OF though.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    I would love Baez if he could be gotten with inciarte
    He would probably require more than Inciarte, but not much more. The Cubs are obviously a team that values defensive contributions more than most other teams, so they are the perfect place to send Inciarte if the goal is to maximize his trade value. And they will need a CFer after this season.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts

The cubs already have a **** ton of outfielders.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    I think Reddick is a very good possibility, and the only one we would spend "big money" on. I think we'd still probably trade one of our left handed center fielders if we acquired another left handed OF though.
    Reddick will be the second coming of Markakis

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    The cubs already have a **** ton of outfielders.
    The time for the Cubs trade was last offseason before Fowler fell back to them for cheap.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts

Yes, I've wondered about Longoria as well. The contract isn't bad. He's only 30, and he's an athletic guy who has above average skills across the board. I think he'll age well. I would love to slot him in the 3 hole for the next 6 years. I think Duffy was acquired to be their 3B replacement.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Yes, I've wondered about Longoria as well. The contract isn't bad. He's only 30, and he's an athletic guy who has above average skills across the board. I think he'll age well. I would love to slot him in the 3 hole for the next 6 years. I think Duffy was acquired to be their 3B replacement.
    He's been hurt a lot in his career, nothing horrendous but a lot.

And, you have to wonder what the cost would be. I'm thinking Tampa would want at least Albies, Allard and Soroka. At least.