Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading announcers?

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts

Upgrading announcers?

We've rebuilt the scouting and developing department?

We've gotten rid of our clueless manager?

When are we going to get rid of our dreaded stench that is the announcing team, specifically Chip Carey. The guy needs to go. I used to like Simpson during the Pete and Skip days, but he sucks now. I'd be willing to give him a second chance to see what he could be with a decent play by play guy that actually knows baseball. Tom Glavine is a legend on the mound, but he's like Kermit the Frog in the booth. Paul Byrd sucked on the mound and sucks even more talking about his so called success. Brian Jordan can't read, spell, or pronunciate anything. Don Sutton was great, like Simpson, with Skip and Pete around but he's like a retarded version of Harry Kalas. Tim Hudson sounds like a southern bafoon jacked up on gin. Most of the sideline reporters have no clue what they are talking about on the field, but I'm sure they got a lot of experience playing with balls and bats.

If this front office is indeed going to bring back the glory days, then it is time for a change in the booth for those of us that can't make games on a regular basis and have to watch on TV. I can't stand watching and listening to these guys. Time for a change. Make Braves baseball exciting again, please.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Millwood1Hitter For This Useful Post:

CyYoung31 (08-19-2016), goldfly (08-20-2016), Prikichi (08-17-2016)

Playing the Waiting Game blueagleace1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Millwood1Hitter View Post

When are we going to get rid of our dreaded stench that is the announcing team, specifically Chip Carey. The guy needs to go. I used to like Simpson during the Pete and Skip days, but he sucks now. I'd be willing to give him a second chance to see what he could be with a decent play by play guy that actually knows baseball. Tom Glavine is a legend on the mound, but he's like Kermit the Frog in the booth. Paul Byrd sucked on the mound and sucks even more talking about his so called success. Brian Jordan can't read, spell, or pronunciate anything. Don Sutton was great, like Simpson, with Skip and Pete around but he's like a retarded version of Harry Kalas. Tim Hudson sounds like a southern bafoon jacked up on gin. Most of the sideline reporters have no clue what they are talking about on the field, but I'm sure they got a lot of experience playing with balls and bats.

If this front office is indeed going to bring back the glory days, then it is time for a change in the booth for those of us that can't make games on a regular basis and have to watch on TV. I can't stand watching and listening to these guys. Time for a change. Make Braves baseball exciting again, please.

Who pissed in your cheerios?? I'm assuming you can do a better job?
    "Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    I would be very happy, perhaps ironically, if they were to add Mark Teixeira to the team next year. He has maintained Atlanta as his second home and loves the city and, especially, Tech, but if you have heard him on Mike and Mike or other interviews, he has the knack for being interesting no matter what the topic.

Someone, probably ESPN, is going to hire him. But I see him as an upgrade at the position. And I bet this time they could sign him.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

CyYoung31 (08-19-2016), jpx7 (08-17-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    The Braves' broadcast teams do suck pretty royally overall.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    Scully is a free agent at the end of the season.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Prikichi For This Useful Post:

bravesfanforlife88 (08-17-2016), chop2chip (08-17-2016), Runnin (08-19-2016)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    I'd honestly make one change.

Move Chip to radio and Don Sutton back to TV.

Or if you really want just flip the radio and TV teams.
    Forever Fredi

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

bravesfanforlife88 (08-17-2016), chop2chip (08-17-2016), clvclv (08-17-2016), FreemanFan (08-17-2016), Julio3000 (08-17-2016), Runnin (08-19-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Millwood1Hitter View Post

I always find it funny when folks criticize others for poor grammar and then make up a word like "pronunciate" and completely misspell "buffoon".

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (08-17-2016), Runnin (08-19-2016)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post

While I think the original post was a bit over the top, I would like to see Chip and Glavine off the TV Broadcast. I don't mind Joe, and I remember learning a lot from listening to Sutton.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mfree80 For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (08-17-2016)

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I dont mind Joe Simpson. He has his moments of being pretty good... I do agree with Chip Carey though. He's awful. He's too much. As in, too fake for me. Honestly, i'm not sure who you could hire to be better, but i'm sure there are plenty of options. Brian Jordan is also REALLY bad imo.. His position would be perfect for Texeira to take or someone who can actually read, write and speak in a way we can all understand. David Justice would be pretty good in that role too imo..

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Brian Jordan took time to post here in the GDT. For that I'll forever be thankful and will never complain about his pre and post game analysis ever again.
    Forever Fredi

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-19-2016), Julio3000 (08-17-2016), Runnin (08-19-2016)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnedstang View Post
    I dont mind Joe Simpson. He has his moments of being pretty good... I do agree with Chip Carey though. He's awful. He's too much. As in, too fake for me. Honestly, i'm not sure who you could hire to be better, but i'm sure there are plenty of options. Brian Jordan is also REALLY bad imo.. His position would be perfect for Texeira to take or someone who can actually read, write and speak in a way we can all understand. David Justice would be pretty good in that role too imo..
    Chip would do better to forget who his Dad and Grandpa were and quit trying to mimic them. Any long term Braves fan knows what he is doing and is not amused by his attempts. The younger ones don't know or care.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    I would be very happy, perhaps ironically, if they were to add Mark Teixeira to the team next year. He has maintained Atlanta as his second home and loves the city and, especially, Tech, but if you have heard him on Mike and Mike or other interviews, he has the knack for being interesting no matter what the topic.

Someone, probably ESPN, is going to hire him. But I see him as an upgrade at the position. And I bet this time they could sign him.
    Get ready for Casey Kotchman in the booth in mid-2018.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

CyYoung31 (08-19-2016), dak (08-19-2016), NinersSBChamps (08-20-2016), Prikichi (08-17-2016), rico43 (08-17-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,494 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post

I love listening to Don and Jim Powell on the radio. It'd be great to move them to T.V. with John Smoltz on the broadcasts.
    Get off my lawn!

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanforlife88 For This Useful Post:

CyYoung31 (08-19-2016), TomahawkCult (08-20-2016), tomluck (08-17-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    I really enjoy the radio team. I don't how how well their style would translate to TV, but it can't be worse than them.

I loathe Simpson.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

Bob Horner (08-17-2016)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    I love listening to Don and Jim Powell on the radio. It'd be great to move them to T.V. with John Smoltz on the broadcasts.
    John Smoltz is really good, but I think his job on MLB Network would preclude doing many Braves games. I suspect he is out of the price range. I really wish they could bring back John Sciambi, but ESPN probably has him locked as well.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to mfree80 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (08-17-2016)

Creepy Lurking Stalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I agree its time for a change. As much as I love the former players as players, they aren't very good on the microphone. The Braves need a new voice. I also miss the two team broadcast of the 1980's, 90's and early 2000's. I understand the team is bad this year, but the lack of prep time and knowledge of the organization as a whole from Chip and Joe has been evident.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Horner For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-17-2016), rico43 (08-17-2016)

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Years ago, the TV and radio teams would swap in the middle of the 5th inning. That gave us a chance to hear all of them during the game. I would not mind returning to that format.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,494 Posts
    Trying to be positive today....

At lease Joe Simspon and Chip are not as bad as Bob Rathburn and Chip would be.....
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    The Braves probably can't afford Smoltz.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    The latest example to check out is on the farm system story where Coppy sits in to discuss the Demeritte trade and Joe has to remind him what the kid's name is. Chip, not Coppy.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

Garmel (08-17-2016)