Thread: A possible ballsy move

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts

A possible ballsy move

Here's a possible move with some risks and rewards. Trade for Ian Kennedy and Wade Davis.

The Royals tried attaching Kennedy to Davis before we went on the DL. They're looking to extend guys like Hosmer, Cain, Duffy, and Moose and the Kennedy contract is hurting them. He has an opt out after 2017 that would cost $6M. If he doesn't opt out after 2017 you'd be on the hook for 3/49 for 2018-2020. If he does you just bought a comp pick for $6M.

Wade Davis has a flexor strain, which is muscle and not ligament. If he comes back healthy and pitched like he does in his contract year for us next season, we could have one of the best closers to trade next July, and we've seen what those fetch on the open market.

Best case scenario, we have Kennedy for a season, pay him $6M to hit free agency again, and get a pick. We also get two-three key young players for Davis in July.

Worst case scenario- Kennedy sucks it up, we're on the hook for another 3/49 and Davis goes down with injury.
    Last edited by Chico; 08-22-2016 at 03:13 PM.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I think the risk reward there is better than a lot of the FA available this year.

Especially if we think we can get an upgrade with a cheap player like D Peterson and/or Ruiz. I don't think either guy is special but both could be upgrades over this year's options and have some upside.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    Here's a possible move with some risks and rewards. Trade for Ian Kennedy and Wade Davis.

The Royals tried attaching Kennedy to Davis before we went on the DL. They're looking to extend guys like Hosmer, Cain, Duffy, and Moose and the Kennedy contract is hurting them. He has an opt out after 2017 that would cost $6M. If he doesn't opt out after 2017 you'd be on the hook for 3/49 for 2008-2020. If he does you just bought a comp pick for $6M.

Wade Davis has a flexor strain, which is muscle and not ligament. If he comes back healthy and pitched like he does in his contract year for us next season, we could have one of the best closers to trade next July, and we've seen what those fetch on the open market.

Best case scenario, we have Kennedy for a season, pay him $6M to hit free agency again, and get a pick. We also get two-three key young players for Davis in July.

Worst case scenario- Kennedy sucks it up, we're on the hook for another 3/49 and Davis goes down with injury.
    Definitely something to explore.

However, I think KC is a little bit delusional on extending most of those guys. IIRC Hosmer and Moose are Boras guys and they typically don't extent.

KC is playing out just like I thought they would, at least right now. There schedule has turned super easy and they are making a run which will get them up to about 90 wins but not enough for the playoffs and everyone is going to say they're still so close...

But, reality IMO is that Cinderella has already thrown her shoe and the clock is well on it's way to striking midnight.

They really needed to trade Davis for a return similar to what the Yanks got and worry about Kennedy separately. But they made two huge blunders this past offseason with #1 being signing WARrior Alex Gordon for 4/72 and Kennedy to 5/70. Large market clubs can afford those kinds of blunders. Small markets, not so much.

They likely are going to lose both Hosmer and Moose and MIGHT get to keep Cain and Duffy and they will be rebuilding in 2-3 years.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    They have a -23 run differential. They should have realize lady luck can only provide so much so it is time to regroup.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    i would rather go after a veteran starter on a shorter deal...say anibal sanchez or francisco liriano

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    francisco liriano
    Wish we would have made that deal with the Pirates instead of the Blue Jays, could have had a nice buy low on Liriano combined with a decent catcher prospect.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to auyushu For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (08-22-2016), Horsehide Harry (08-22-2016)