Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Peraza

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts

Peraza

Hard to believe we gave up the two most talented players in this deal, and got absolutely zero in return except the ability to pay Matt Kemps depleted salary for three years.

Is this the worst deal of last year, by any team? Including the Dbacks trade of Swanson and Inciarte?

I was pretty convinced that Peraza was not the player we all thought he was when dealt, but hes having a decent time of it. Nothing crazy, but a serviceable player in spots.
    Ivermectin Man

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Hard to believe we gave up the two most talented players in this deal, and got absolutely zero in return except the ability to pay Matt Kemps depleted salary for three years.

Is this the worst deal of last year, by any team? Including the Dbacks trade of Swanson and Inciarte?

I was pretty convinced that Peraza was not the player we all thought he was when dealt, but hes having a decent time of it. Nothing crazy, but a serviceable player in spots.
    Hindsight can be a real pain sometimes. Certainly not how it was intended to turn out.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I defended the trade, because I wasn't big on Peraza or Wood. I'm still not. I also thought it was a cheap way to get RH power. But, Yes this is the worse deal of the Hart/Coppy tenure.

We did get Joey Wentz and Paco Rodriguez out of it, but we could've gotten more for those two looking back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Glad to see him doing fairly well. Have been able to watch him play for the Reds a few times this year and saw him hit the home run over the weekend. The biggest surprise to me is that he doesn't look that great defensively with the eye test. He's a very fast man and by no means a disaster defensively, but just doesn't seem that fluid. I personally still see him as a utility type . . . perhaps a pretty good one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Peraza has a negative WAR so far this year and wasn't exactly good in the minors. The trade obviously wasn't good and we could've gotten more, but Peraza isn't good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    I defended the trade, because I wasn't big on Peraza or Wood. I'm still not. I also thought it was a cheap way to get RH power. But, Yes this is the worse deal of the Hart/Coppy tenure.

We did get Joey Wentz and Paco Rodriguez out of it, but we could've gotten more for those two looking back.
    That was my position as well. I liked Bird's potential also, but I don't think we could have done worse if we picked names out of a hat.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Peraza had a phenomenal age 20 season split between high A and AA. His age 21 season was disappointing by comparison. He is now hitting .301/.333/.379 in his age 22 season.

If we consider how young he has been for various levels, we would have more of an appreciation for his upside potential.

Of course, we also have Albies (currently in his age 19 season) who has somewhat overshadowed Peraza. It would have really been great if we had kept both of them.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (08-23-2016), jpx7 (08-24-2016)

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Not a good trade. But certainly not anywhere near the Swanson deal.

It's like Coppy got blind drunk and fell in love with an old road whore at the bar and all his friends watched him get pulled upstairs. Even though she was relatively cheap and it turned out that there was no long term effects of the gift that kept on giving, it's not something you want to discuss ever again.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (08-23-2016), GovClintonTyree (08-23-2016), Managuarantano's Volunteers (08-23-2016), rawwr (08-23-2016), rico43 (08-23-2016), Tapate50 (08-23-2016), yeezus (08-23-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    Not a good trade. But certainly not anywhere near the Swanson deal.

It's like Coppy got blind drunk and fell in love with an old road whore at the bar and all his friends watched him get pulled upstairs. Even though she was relatively cheap and it turned out that there was no long term effects of the gift that kept on giving, it's not something you want to discuss ever again.
    this analogy...spot on.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    Glad to see him doing fairly well. Have been able to watch him play for the Reds a few times this year and saw him hit the home run over the weekend. The biggest surprise to me is that he doesn't look that great defensively with the eye test. He's a very fast man and by no means a disaster defensively, but just doesn't seem that fluid. I personally still see him as a utility type . . . perhaps a pretty good one.
    Stats back that up as well.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Peraza had a phenomenal age 20 season split between high A and AA. His age 21 season was disappointing by comparison. He is now hitting .301/.333/.379 in his age 22 season.

If we consider how young he has been for various levels, we would have more of an appreciation for his upside potential.

Of course, we also have Albies (currently in his age 19 season) who has somewhat overshadowed Peraza. It would have really been great if we had kept both of them.
    His numbers reflect what the minors numbers showed. Doesn't walk at all. doesn't hit for power. Has 4 xbh in majors. High BABIP contact hitter perhaps sustainable because of speed but the book isn't written.

Albies seems to be a better version and they thought they were getting good value for a guy they didn't love.

Turns out they got a draft pick and whatever contribution Rodriguez ends up making. Maybe bird can be a reliever. Don't know.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Holy small sample size Batman.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Peraza is a good utility player or possible starting SS/2B assuming defense is adequate. Terrible trade, but Peraza isn't a huge loss unless he can play great defense and end up as an Andrus type.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    His numbers reflect what the minors numbers showed. Doesn't walk at all. doesn't hit for power. Has 4 xbh in majors. High BABIP contact hitter perhaps sustainable because of speed but the book isn't written.

Albies seems to be a better version and they thought they were getting good value for a guy they didn't love.

Turns out they got a draft pick and whatever contribution Rodriguez ends up making. Maybe bird can be a reliever. Don't know.
    Yeah. Albies walks more and has more power. Along with a favorable age differential that makes him a better prospect than Peraza.

I think Peraza's high BABIP will compensate for the lack of walks to some extent. If you are a low strikeout hitter, the effect of a high BABIP gets amplified. Plus his age means that he has some room for growth. He could get a little better at lots of things (defense, walks, etc) or might get a lot better at one thing. That's the upside.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Peraza is at best a utility guy and Wood is a RP, IMO. As I said, definitely could've received more for the two at the time, but at least neither of these guys look like studs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Before Peraza was traded, I was wondering why he was consistently ranked way higher than Jose Ramirez (who wasn't ranked really anywhere). They had similar numbers (Ramirez even better sometimes). I suppose the almost two years of age made the big difference, but Ramirez was up and played well overall in 2014. His ISO had been pretty consistently better, so I don't think Peraza has that potential pop that Ramirez has shown this year.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    Peraza is at best a utility guy and Wood is a RP, IMO. As I said, definitely could've received more for the two at the time, but at least neither of these guys look like studs.
    That trade just compounds upon itself on how bad it is. We gave up Peraza and Wood at the height of their value for the chance to pay Kemp 3/54. It was a horrible trade that hasn't gotten any better. We should have gotten a useful piece for trading what we did.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    That trade just compounds upon itself on how bad it is. We gave up Peraza and Wood at the height of their value for the chance to pay Kemp 3/54. It was a horrible trade that hasn't gotten any better. We should have gotten a useful piece for trading what we did.
    Is Joey Wentz not a useful piece? Not trying to defend the trade, but Wentz could end up being the best player moved in that deal.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Preacher For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-23-2016), rico43 (08-23-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    Is Joey Wentz not a useful piece? Not trying to defend the trade, but Wentz could end up being the best player moved in that deal.
    I've always thought that when a trade involves a draft pick, that the best way to evaluate that part is the expected value of the pick not the best or worst case scenario.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    Wentz wasn't traded for. He was simply drafted with that pick that we picked up. That's like complaining about the Kotchman/Tex trade because the pick the Angels got for Tex was used for Trout. Fact is the Braves wasted the vale of a 20ish prospect and a good controllable lefty starter and got nothing significant in return. They gambled on HO and got burned horribly.