Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Extent Ender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Isn't Ender just a worse version of Heyward? And you seem to really not be a fan of Heyward
    seriously, this again?
    i'll say it again: I never had a problem with Heyward's game while he was here. Loved watching him play. Was sad when he was traded. That said, I didn't want to pay him $22M+ per year for 6-10 years.
    That's not to say I don't like a player, think he sucks, can't play, etc. Not even close, really. Surely you understand that.

Oh and this year, Heyward has been way worse than Ender.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Isn't Ender just a worse version of Heyward? And you seem to really not be a fan of Heyward
    "not really being a fan of Heyward" is really the same thing as "not wanting to pay Heyward 20-22 million a year?"

You're better than that. Don't skew what people say when you know you're doing it on purpose.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,790 Posts
    Sorry if I'm missing something... but yeezus seems to be suggesting we should extend Inciarte bc he is a 3-5 WIN player.

Thos wins are primarily defensive driven - much like Heyward. And he undoubtedly a worse hitter than Heyward (this year not withstanding)...

So why is investing the money in Heyward a bad investment, while investing the money in Inciarte is not? Unless he thinks Inciarte will command much less $/WAR than Heyward?

For the record - I'm in favor of extenting Inciarte

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,866 Posts
    Sorry if I'm missing something... but yeezus seems to be suggesting we should extend Inciarte bc he is a 3-5 WIN player.

Thos wins are primarily defensive driven - much like Heyward. And he undoubtedly a worse hitter than Heyward (this year not withstanding)...

So why is investing the money in Heyward a bad investment, while investing the money in Inciarte is not? Unless he thinks Inciarte will command much less $/WAR than Heyward?

Because defense in center > defense in right. If you can get Ender to sign for cheap then go for it. But I doubt many would be happy for extending Ender if he signed for market value or slightly less.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I should have said that there's more evidence to support the notion that he doesn't have severe splits. He's not a big-time hitter regardless, but I'm not going to platoon a guy who isn't terrible against lefties with his D in CF.
    He has been terrible vs. lefties for his career. But, with this team, it does make sense to get him as many at bats as possible to see if he can improve vs. lefties. Which he has in a small sample.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts

I'm not in favor of giving Ender 8 years at $20M+ per.
    The situations aren't comparable. There is no way you can't understand this; you're choosing not to in an attempt to make a point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    He has been terrible vs. lefties for his career. But, with this team, it does make sense to get him as many at bats as possible to see if he can improve vs. lefties. Which he has in a small sample.
    One year was his rookie year.
    The next was a SSS.
    This year he's been much better, also in a SSS.
    There's not a lot of evidence to say he can't hit lefties. The fact he's doing ok vs. them this year is encouraging. And you choose to argue that. It's incredible.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    One year was his rookie year.
    The next was a SSS.
    This year he's been much better, also in a SSS.
    There's not a lot of evidence to say he can't hit lefties. The fact he's doing ok vs. them this year is encouraging. And you choose to argue that. It's incredible.
    Im looking at his entire work. You are cherry picking. Whatever floats your boat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Im looking at his entire work. You are cherry picking. Whatever floats your boat.
    How am I cherry picking? I'm adding context. The two are entirely different. The improvement is a very good thing, yet all you want to do is downplay it.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts

But his career is still cherry picking. He had an average 1st year.. abysmal 2nd year and another average to trending up 3rd year vs. Lefties. So who is he?

I like Ender as a player. His impact goes beyond the stat sheet. I would be all for extending him until his 30 -32 year old season.. **depending on how much of course.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,866 Posts
    Lefties are hitting 242/308/369 - 677 against lefties this year in MLB. Take that for what you will when comparing others.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Lefties are hitting 242/308/369 - 677 against lefties this year in MLB. Take that for what you will when comparing others.
    SAYS WHO??

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,866 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    SAYS WHO??
    this one place

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts

I think you've found it.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

yeezus (08-30-2016)

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I think you've found it.
    I think the Heyward contract (one of several) is showing why you don't pay big money for speed, defense and base running. The only way he ever becomes worth his contract is if he becomes that .285 30 HR guy who mostly keeps his defense and base running.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,866 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    I think the Heyward contract (one of several) is showing why you don't pay big money for speed, defense and base running. The only way he ever becomes worth his contract is if he becomes that .285 30 HR guy who mostly keeps his defense and base running.
    Not to rehash this. But comparing Heywards contract ($$$/year) to other recent contracts then Heyward certainly didn't get paid for speed, defense, and base running. It was based almost solely on his offense. Unless you think someone like Justin Upton also gets paid for defense and base running. 20 million buys you a good offensive player on the open market.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts

The big difference is I don't hear him wanting to extent him for 20-25 million a year... which was his only beef with Heyward... and obviously Inciarte won't get anywhere near that.
    Last edited by zbhargrove; 08-30-2016 at 12:00 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    He would be underpaid at that point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    The big difference is I don't hear him wanting to extent him for 20-25 million a year... which was his only beef with Heyward... and obviously Inciarte won't get anywhere near that.
    Important details are NOT welcomed here.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    But his career is still cherry picking.
    Well, this is new.