Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Coming soon: A blockbuster. Maybe two.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts

Coming soon: A blockbuster. Maybe two.

With a 40-man roster logjam looming this December, it seems like we are on the verge of the Braves taking aim at a bona fide blockbuster trade. And, within reason, maybe two.

If you consider the progress the young pitching talent has made, I can't help but think we have the ability to put together a package that can get us any dam player we want. Contract terms also should no longer be a concern.

So where do you go, and for what?

With now obvious to even the blind and deaf that McCann will never catcher regularly in New York again, he can be had for much less than even a month ago. I now say: do it.

That leaves you a ton of prospects still and the whole, wide world at your feet. Who do I want to get: I want Sonny Gray; I want Chris Sale; I want Kyle Seager. And I could get them. There would be some shocking talent dealt (Albies, Newcomb, Sims, Acuna, Deivi Cruz), but at some point, you want all of your best players to be in the majors, not the low minors.

But the Braves have made great deals that no one saw coming; I will respectfully wait and second guess when appropriate!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

Knucksie (08-29-2016)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Think that the only issue with McCann is getting the Yankees to eat salary, which would be dependent upon what prospect would be given up in return. Yeah, they're going to continue to say that they no longer do that, but part of this has to be posturing during negotiations.

They've made previous inquiries about Chris Sale, which leads me to believe that talks will be re-visited during the off-season. He's burned too many bridges with that organization. He's bona fide #1 starter with team-friendly contract. Exactly what is needed to slot in front of JT.

Also think that they will at least inquire about re-acquiring Shelby Miller. Repeating myself, but this makes so much sense for him as #3 with a chance to regain his form. It's long past the point of face saving for Arizona on the original deal. This would give them an opportunity to salvage something in terms of assets and allows him to get his career back on track. My recollection was that AJ was effective at handling him. No reason to believe that McCann couldn't be at least as effective.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    A Mac trade makes so much sense that I think it is inevitable. I would rather the Braves take on more money to give up less prospect talent.

I am going to predict a trade for Longoria to play 3B (the Rays acquired Duffy to replace him). It will be based around one of Inciarte or Mallex plus pitching. I think the only 2 untouchables in the minors are Maitan and Albies (they would have moved Albies back to SS after Swanson was promoted if there was any chance he would be traded).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-29-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    A Mac trade makes so much sense that I think it is inevitable. I would rather the Braves take on more money to give up less prospect talent.

I am going to predict a trade for Longoria to play 3B (the Rays acquired Duffy to replace him). It will be based around one of Inciarte or Mallex plus pitching. I think the only 2 untouchables in the minors are Maitan and Albies (they would have moved Albies back to SS after Swanson was promoted if there was any chance he would be traded).
    Not sure the Rays would want Mallex or Inciarte as a main piece when they have Kiermaer.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to yeezus For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-29-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    If we could get Archer and Longoria both somehow it would be amazing but the talent given up would be crazy. For one of the 2 I'd guess Newcomb, Mallex, Jace, Fried would get you close.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    That Trout deal is still on the table.. that will pretty much solve all our 40 man problems.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (08-29-2016), FreemanFan (08-30-2016), jpx7 (08-29-2016), Tapate50 (08-29-2016), The Chosen One (08-29-2016)

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    That Trout deal is still on the table.. that will pretty much solve all our 40 man problems.
    Won't we have to add 12 guys to get to 40 if that trade goes through?
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gilesfan For This Useful Post:

FreemanFan (08-30-2016), JohnAdcox (08-29-2016)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    If we could get Archer and Longoria both somehow it would be amazing but the talent given up would be crazy. For one of the 2 I'd guess Newcomb, Mallex, Jace, Fried would get you close.
    This would be my ideal trade. I'd call them up and see what it would take. It might take 6 prospects for those 2, but if they went the quantity route over quality we could be their match.

Wisler, Whalen, Gant, Riley, Ruiz and Soroka

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    This would be my ideal trade. I'd call them up and see what it would take. It might take 6 prospects for those 2, but if they went the quantity route over quality we could be their match.

Wisler, Whalen, Gant, Riley, Ruiz and Soroka
    I don't think Whalen or Gant would have much value for other organizations. Neither have really shown anything yet outside of definite AAAA ability.

I would think the trade would require AT LEAST one headliner: either Albies OR Swanson (and I think Swanson is the new "Georgia Boy" they will market around. I would think either Newcomb OR Allard. Then I think you have to add Wisler, either Ruiz OR Riley and Soroka OR Fried OR Toussaint.

I think it would be: Albies, Newcomb, Wisler, Ruiz, Soroka and Gant OR Whalen.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Giving up the talent necessary to get Gray, Sale, and Seager would be a disaster.

The FO has acquired all this talent to build the long-term future of the team, not to turn around and trade it all away. There will almost certainly be some deals, but I would be shocked if there's more than one big one.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Folks are severely understating the value of these premium players. Archer isn't coming to Atlanta without giving up multiple top 100 prospects. Sale didn't get traded to Boston because they wouldn't include JBJ...a 4-5 WAR player with several years of cheap control remaining.

The Braves don't even have a single player in the organization close to as valuable as JBJ. How in the world could they hope to acquire Sale without setting the rebuild back another 5 years? The ChiSox aren't trading him away for a handful of 50 FV prospects.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-29-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Nolan Arenado should be high on our list of trade targets. He is a perfect fit for what we need.

As an alternative to Arenado, I would like to see us trade for legit ace pitcher. Sale obviously tops the list on this front. I wouldn't count out guys like Corey Kluber or even Felix Hernandez however.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Why in the world would the Rockies trade Arenado?

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Folks are severely understating the value of these premium players. Archer isn't coming to Atlanta without giving up multiple top 100 prospects. Sale didn't get traded to Boston because they wouldn't include JBJ...a 4-5 WAR player with several years of cheap control remaining.

The Braves don't even have a single player in the organization close to as valuable as JBJ. How in the world could they hope to acquire Sale without setting the rebuild back another 5 years? The ChiSox aren't trading him away for a handful of 50 FV prospects.
    Agreed. That's why I have said all along that the timing is bad to try to compete in 2017. True difference makers aren't going to be traded to Atlanta without the Braves giving up talent that they can't afford to give up. The best way to compete without giving up talent is to sign FA. Unfortunately, there aren't difference makers available this year via FA.

To mangle Sherlock Holmes "If you take away that which can't be done, whatever's left, no matter how unsavory, is what can be done." The best way to maximize the effectiveness of the rebuild is to do what can be done to best benefit. If that means no dog and pony show to open the new stadium, then so be it. The idea shouldn't be to build the illusion of competence to open the new stadium but to build the reality of greatness for the fans coming to the new stadium, even if that takes a couple more years.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

CJ9 (08-29-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Nolan Arenado should be high on our list of trade targets. He is a perfect fit for what we need.

As an alternative to Arenado, I would like to see us trade for legit ace pitcher. Sale obviously tops the list on this front. I wouldn't count out guys like Corey Kluber or even Felix Hernandez however.
    I would like to see your estimate of what kind of trade package Arenado would cost.

The names being bandied about in this thread are completely detached from reality. Arenado? Sale? Archer? These are the highest valued assets in the game. There is almost zero chance the Braves could build a package to acquire any of them. Even if they could they would be exchanging so many future wins for current wins it would make no sense.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts

And there's a reason why the Sox scoffed at such an offer. Teams always try to burn desperate teams at the deadline. That doesn't mean it's a set price.

That said, I'm sure Sale will still cost quite a bit to acquire. Fortunately, if we did decide to pursue such a trade, our farm system is deep enough to absorb the loss (assuming most of the prospects in the trade are below AA).

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    Agreed. That's why I have said all along that the timing is bad to try to compete in 2017. True difference makers aren't going to be traded to Atlanta without the Braves giving up talent that they can't afford to give up. The best way to compete without giving up talent is to sign FA. Unfortunately, there aren't difference makers available this year via FA.

To mangle Sherlock Holmes "If you take away that which can't be done, whatever's left, no matter how unsavory, is what can be done." The best way to maximize the effectiveness of the rebuild is to do what can be done to best benefit. If that means no dog and pony show to open the new stadium, then so be it. The idea shouldn't be to build the illusion of competence to open the new stadium but to build the reality of greatness for the fans coming to the new stadium, even if that takes a couple more years.
    Fine, but we also have to deal with the reality of the situation. Reality dictates the Braves must appear to be competitive without sacrificing the long term future.

Acquiring Kemp was such a move. Trading for Mac could be another such move. I could see them swinging a trade for Tulo and moving him to 3B, another aging "name" player they could acquire for little in the way of prospects because he is so expensive.

The Braves have 2 redundant pieces that they could trade without setting the rebuild back: one of Mallex/Inciarte and a ton of young pitchers. Those redundant pieces could be enough for a guy like Longoria or Baez. They will not be enough to get a guy like Sale or Arenado.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts

Yeah, we should have Arenao, Trout, Harper, and Kershaw on our list. Perfect fits.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    I would like to see your estimate of what kind of trade package Arenado would cost.

The names being bandied about in this thread are completely detached from reality. Arenado? Sale? Archer? These are the highest valued assets in the game. There is almost zero chance the Braves could build a package to acquire any of them. Even if they could they would be exchanging so many future wins for current wins it would make no sense.
    Who would have thought Josh Donaldson would have been traded two years ago? Troy Tulowitzki? What about Justin Upton before we traded for him?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    And there's a reason why the Sox scoffed at such an offer. Teams always try to burn desperate teams at the deadline. That doesn't mean it's a set price.

That said, I'm sure Sale will still cost quite a bit to acquire. Fortunately, if we did decide to pursue such a trade, our farm system is deep enough to absorb the loss (assuming most of the prospects in the trade are below AA).
    So the ChiSox are going to go from asking for JBJ to a bunch of A ball prospects? Sale is quite possibly the most valuable pitcher in the game when considering trade value. It is unrealistic to think the Braves are in play for him.