Thread: The 2018-2019 Free agency class

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts

The 2018-2019 Free agency class

The writers have definitely started early on milking as many clicks as they can from this free agency class. I've also seen a lot of people say we need to focus on this class. I went through and looked at who was likely to actually be there and the likelihood they'd fit our club. Donaldson and Cutch are the only likely players I see us lining up with. Donaldson could be a likely extension candidate. Third basemen with power, good defense, and clubhouse presence, don't get away. Beltre got an extension at 37. I foresee a lot of trades in the next two-three years and us dipping our toes in the FA market when there's a buy low candidate, or a player has just been traded and won't cost a pick. I definitely do not see us holding out for a particular draft class, when we have no idea what it will actually be by then.

Jose Fernandez- He’ll be 26 and command a ton. He’s big market bound
    Bryce Harper- No way. He’s definitely big market bound
    Manny Machado- Very likely to sign extension.
    Josh Donaldson- Will be 32, definitely cost a pick to sign. Could be an extension candidate
    Andrew McCutcheon- will be 32, probably cost a pick, but likely to be a FA
    Craig Kimbrel- will be 31, probably cost a pick, but likely to be a FA
    Brian Dozier- will be 32, probably cost a pick, but likely to be a FA, would have to be 3B for us
    Michael Brantley- will be 32, probably cost a pick, but likely to be a FA
    Andrew Miller- will be 34, probably cost a pick, but likely to be a FA
    Drew Smyly- Will be 29, so many ways this could go, extension candidate
    Cody Allen- Will be 29. Could be a good signing. Will probably cost a pick
    Charlie Blackmon- will be 32, probably cost a pick, but likely to be a FA
    Jeurys Familia- will be 28, likely extension candidate
    Matt Harvey- will be 29. , so many ways this could go, extension candidate
    D.J Lemahieu- will be 30, good extension candidate, likely won’t need 2B

Pollack and Shelby get moved to 2020 free agency due to missed time. Kershaw could opt out, but we wouldn’t be able to afford $40M a year it would take. I don’t think Price opts out at 33 with a good contract and play leveling off. Jose Quintana will hit the 2020 class with his 2019 option picked up
    Last edited by Chico; 08-30-2016 at 12:43 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chico For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-30-2016), Julio3000 (08-30-2016)

Roaming in Rome
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    You still accrue service time on the disabled list

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by praeceps93 View Post
    You still accrue service time on the disabled list
    Yeah, I was thinking Shelby. So we can add Pollock to the list if he's not extended.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Bryce and Manny were Braves fans growing up.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

bravesfanforlife88 (08-30-2016), Julio3000 (08-30-2016)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,864 Posts
    Assuming he's healthy between now and then Jose Fernandez is the guy I would target. He's young and an actual ace that can carry a team into the playoffs. The issue is that he's already had surgery once and he's a ticking time bomb like all pitchers. But again he's the youngest of anybody available at that time and has the most talent. If healthy you'd get the best talent at the best years of his career. So the potential for the biggest success and likely the biggest bust too.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Assuming he's healthy between now and then Jose Fernandez is the guy I would target. He's young and an actual ace that can carry a team into the playoffs. The issue is that he's already had surgery once and he's a ticking time bomb like all pitchers. But again he's the youngest of anybody available at that time and has the most talent. If healthy you'd get the best talent at the best years of his career. So the potential for the biggest success and likely the biggest bust too.
    At 26 years old he could be looking at a 250K contract. I'd guess he'd end up in L.A.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    At 26 years old he could be looking at a 250K contract. I'd guess he'd end up in L.A.
    $250,000? Where do I sign?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yeezus For This Useful Post:

bravesfanMatt (08-30-2016), mfree80 (08-30-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Folks are still living in La La Land if they think the Braves are realistic suitors for guys in the $200M+ range, even with the revenue boost from Sun Trust. Guys like Harper, Fernandez and Machado are going to be so expensive the Braves won't even begin negotiations with them.

The Braves might be in a position to buy the decline years of guys like Miller, Brantley, Donaldson and McCutchen, but they won't be acquiring any premium FAs in their primes.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Folks are still living in La La Land if they think the Braves are realistic suitors for guys in the $200M+ range, even with the revenue boost from Sun Trust. Guys like Harper, Fernandez and Machado are going to be so expensive the Braves won't even begin negotiations with them.

The Braves might be in a position to buy the decline years of guys like Miller, Brantley, Donaldson and McCutchen, but they won't be acquiring any premium FAs in their primes.
    Exactly. If you're a premium talent hitting FA in your mid 20's you're going to a big market team. The only thing we can hope for is to pay a guy for his 32-36 years and give his old team a draft pick for the right to do so.

Also, I believe the AAV of contracts is only going to get higher after this offseason if not before due to guys like Machado getting an extension.

I'd be looking in the trade market and holding on to my draft picks

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,864 Posts

I don't think anybody thinks the Braves will go after those types of names. However that would be the ideal time imo to pursue a premium FA.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I don't think anybody thinks the Braves will go after those types of names. However that would be the ideal time imo to pursue a premium FA.
    I have seen plenty of folks around here linking the Braves to the Lesters, Prices and Grienkes of the world. There will undoubtedly be dozens of posts on this site where folks suggest signing Machado, Fernandez and Harper. And they will come up with the most outlandishly intricate scenarios about how it could happen and why those players would possibly sign for less to play in Atlanta.

In fact, you literally just made a post in this thread suggesting the Braves target Fernandez. So yes, folks have been thinking, and will continue to think the Braves have a shot at names like that.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,864 Posts
    I have seen plenty of folks around here linking the Braves to the Lesters, Prices and Grienkes of the world. There will undoubtedly be dozens of posts on this site where folks suggest signing Machado, Fernandez and Harper. And they will come up with the most outlandishly intricate scenarios about how it could happen and why those players would possibly sign for less to play in Atlanta.

In fact, you literally just made a post in this thread suggesting the Braves target Fernandez. So yes, folks have been thinking, and will continue to think the Braves have a shot at names like that.
    I said I would target him not that the Braves would. I think that following year is the first year the Braves will truly be able to compete assuming our young guys progress and Fernandez would be the piece to make a run. I don't think the Braves will however unless the payroll spikes. And that's something I will believe when it happens.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    2 things we need to happen to be able to be top bidders would be new owners and a new hefty tv contract.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (08-30-2016)