Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tebow!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    The value tebow adds is to some A ball affiliate in Florida who wants to sell some tickets. There's no MLB reason to sign him. Just sign him to put him in A ball and get a couple thousand extra bucks to the game.
    As outlined in the article, the Braves own the GCL, Danville, Mississippi, and Gwinnett teams. So I imagine they'd start him in rookie ball, send him to A but then hope to get him to AA as quickly as possible.

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...aves/89829270/

Five clubs indicated interest after the workout, during which he flashed some power potential and decent speed, but struggled against live pitching and displayed a below-average throwing arm.

lol
    Maybe if he could do that 'amazing' jump pass he showed in college, his throwing arm would improve.
    The 70s & 80s were worse...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    Tebow won't make it out of rookie ball. I don't even want him around our prospects, he is a bad influence.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,705 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Tebow won't make it out of rookie ball. I don't even want him around our prospects, he is a bad influence.
    Jeez

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    And now he is a bad influence also...wowsa. He probably won't pan out (10%chance), but he is big as a house and if he "did" figure it out by chance...the ball would be going a long way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    And now he is a bad influence also...wowsa. He probably won't pan out (10%chance), but he is big as a house and if he "did" figure it out by chance...the ball would be going a long way.
    I'd give him less than a 1% chance of panning out (depending on what you mean by that). There's almost no way he reaches the majors. I think he has a better chance of striking out 40-50% of the time in rookie ball.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,705 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    I'd give him less than a 1% chance of panning out (depending on what you mean by that). There's almost no way he reaches the majors. I think he has a better chance of striking out 40-50% of the time in rookie ball.
    If he doesn't work out, he'll be cut. Not like we're cutting allard to make room for him

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I'm not trying to read cajun's mind, but what he might be saying is that the media following Tebow will likely be a distraction to younger players that are trying to learn the game at the pro level.

Frankly, I think the best fit for Tebow would be for some team in an independent league to sign him.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-07-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I'm not trying to read cajun's mind, but what he might be saying is that the media following Tebow will likely be a distraction to younger players that are trying to learn the game at the pro level.

Frankly, I think the best fit for Tebow would be for some team in an independent league to sign him.
    Generally when someone says 'bad influence,' it's safe to assume they don't mean 'distraction'. Those are two different things entirely.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    I don't care all that much if we sign him, but I also don't understand it. He has no shot at being a major leaguer. And to me, this is 100% an attention grab for him. I mean, why have a "showcase" now, at the end of the season? Why not play in an independent league and get used to somewhat real baseball first?

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yeezus For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (09-07-2016), JohnAdcox (09-07-2016)

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts

If you read Cajun on the other board you know he has a big disdain for Religion. As we all know Tebow is a pretty religious dude.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    If you read Cajun on the other board you know he has a big disdain for Religion. As we all know Tebow is a pretty religious dude.
    Well, I'm a religious dude as well, but find Tebow's public displays a bit over the top.

I do think Tebow would be a major distraction to the business of the game for the guys around him. I don't necessarily think he would be a bad influence in the sense of encouraging misbehavior amongst his teammates. I'm with yeezus that this is an attention grab, probably as much or more for the team that signs him than simply Tebow himself. If he weren't Tim Tebow, he would have been laughed off the planet for staging a public workout. I think there are probably a couple hundred guys non-drafted/unsigned guys milling around a variety of baseball diamonds this summer who would likely have a better chance than Tebow of getting to the big leagues, but they are all forced to go to scouting cattle calls.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-07-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,705 Posts
    Well, I'm a religious dude as well, but find Tebow's public displays a bit over the top.

I do think Tebow would be a major distraction to the business of the game for the guys around him. I don't necessarily think he would be a bad influence in the sense of encouraging misbehavior amongst his teammates. I'm with yeezus that this is an attention grab, probably as much or more for the team that signs him than simply Tebow himself. If he weren't Tim Tebow, he would have never gotten a tryout. I think there are probably a couple hundred guys non-drafted/unsigned guys milling around a variety of baseball diamonds this summer who would likely have a better chance than Tebow of getting to the big leagues.
    I don't think drumming up an interest in Braves' baseball is a bad thing

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Part of the reason he doesn't have a job in his desired profession of football is because of the ridiculous media attention he brings. Most of it is the fact that he can't play, but a lot of guys who are not very good QBs at least get back-up or 3rd string jobs.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Being "BIG" has absolutely nothing to do with hitting a baseball. Doesn't hurt, but theres more to it than brute strength. Quick wrists are just as important if not more so. Tebow has already done what most can't do. Self-promote even if that weren't his intention. I don't care either way, as I don't think he'll make it, but we do need an American version of Hector Olivera. Why not?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    If it brings in a bunch of "Tebow first" fans, I don't necessarily see it as a good thing. Again, I have nothing in particular against Tebow as a person, but if he's an epic fail on the diamond (which I halfway expect), the Braves are going to look like publicity-seeking idiots who don't know squat about scouting baseball players. If the baseball people think it's a worthwhile gamble, fine. Just keep the PR hacks out of baseball decisions. We all saw what happened when Ted Turner thought he know something about baseball and how the fortunes of the franchise turned around when he relegated himself to writing checks.

And Deester's right. If Tebow is simply big, it means nothing at all. If he's overmuscled, he'll have trouble catching up with average fastballs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,705 Posts
    I just don't see the big deal. Is this move that throws the rebuild off track? Will we all look back 2 years from now and say, yep that's where it all fell apart.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    I just don't see the big deal. Is this move that throws the rebuild off track? Will we all look back 2 years from now and say, yep that's where it all fell apart.
    I don't think anyone thinks it's a "big deal." But many don't see the point, other than publicity. Which is a little lame.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Did everyone view the White Sox as idiots for signing Jordan? No. This is not going to tarnish the Braves' reputation, that's silly.

And how, exactly, would this be an American version of Olivera?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    I don't think anyone thinks it's a "big deal." But many don't see the point, other than publicity. Which is a little lame.
    Yet here we are continuing to argue over it as though it is.

Who cares.