Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IF You Believe...

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

IF You Believe...

In the pitching that's coming, this team's not that far away.

Really is that simple IMO.

If Folty and Wisler can take the steps forward that would be realistically expected, not ALL of the prospects have to reach their absolute ceilings.

Thankfully we're in the position to spend money (or prospects) on bats instead of arms.
    Last edited by clvclv; 09-10-2016 at 09:18 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

goldfly (09-11-2016), JohnAdcox (09-13-2016), VirginiaBrave (09-10-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Yeah, the rebuild is going according to plan. Not everything has worked out obviously (Olivera, some of the prospects), but on the whole things are going well, and our vision of having a stable full of young pitching is coming to fruition.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

clvclv (09-10-2016), JohnAdcox (09-13-2016), mfree80 (09-11-2016)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    In the pitching that's coming, this team's not that far away.

Really is that simple IMO.

If Folty and Wisler can take the steps forward that would be realistically expected, not ALL of the prospects have to reach their absolute ceilings.

Thankfully we're in the position to spend money (or prospects) on bats instead of arms.
    Last thing we should do this offseason is bring in short term back end starters just to help win a few more games. We've invested a lot in Folty, Wisler, Blair, Newcomb and we need to make sure they get their experience next year.

I still think Folty is the best of our young pitching

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,871 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emk418 View Post
    Last thing we should do this offseason is bring in short term back end starters just to help win a few more games. We've invested a lot in Folty, Wisler, Blair, Newcomb and we need to make sure they get their experience next year.

I still think Folty is the best of our young pitching
    Depends what the teams goal is. I like Folty out of our MLB ready young crop. Still think our best is in the low minors.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-13-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Really none of the top prospects we've drafted or acquired have been a bust. They are all doing well. Blair is the only one that comes to mind that has struggled.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Depends what the teams goal is. I like Folty out of our MLB ready young crop. Still think our best is in the low minors.
    I agree.

I think Newcomb can be really good but will likely need 2 more years in the minors to get there.

I don't believe in Gant, Whelan, Perez, Jenkins, Ellis.

I think Wisler can be a fine 3/4.
    Blair I am beginning to think he will become a casualty of lost confidence.

I think the majority of the future rotation will come from Allard, Touissaint, Fried, Soroka, Anderson, Wentz, Muller, etc.

Because of that, I don't see the real future rotation being that close, likely 1.5 to 2 years away. Because of that I think "trying to compete" next year is premature and likely will force some missed opportunities because the team will hang on to some trade chips in the name of competing in 2017 instead of trading them for value.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    There is a lot of uncertainty about pitching prospects, more than with hitting prospects, but to me the pick of the litter in the Braves system are Allard and Soroka. After those two I rate some of the guys who have already pitched in the majors (Teheran, Folty, Wisler) above the prospects on the farm. Those are the five I expect to have the most success as major league starting pitchers going forward.

The two dark horses I would put small side bets on are Gant and Povse.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 09-11-2016 at 04:07 PM.

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    There is a lot of uncertainty about pitching prospects, more than with hitting prospects, but to me the pick of the litter in the Braves system are Allard and Soroka. After those two I rate some of the guys who have already pitched in the majors (Teheran, Folty, Wisler) above the prospects on the farm. Those are the five I expect to have the most success as major league starting pitchers going forward.

The two dark horses I would put small side bets on are Gant and Povse.
    I would have to add Max Fried to that list, So far I think he is maybe the best of the guys in the lower minors.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by depley View Post
    I would have to add Max Fried to that list, So far I think he is maybe the best of the guys in the lower minors.
    I think Fried will move up quick. His thing is just being healthy. He was a top 10 pick for a reason.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    I agree.

I think Newcomb can be really good but will likely need 2 more years in the minors to get there.

I don't believe in Gant, Whelan, Perez, Jenkins, Ellis.

I think Wisler can be a fine 3/4.
    Blair I am beginning to think he will become a casualty of lost confidence.

I think the majority of the future rotation will come from Allard, Touissaint, Fried, Soroka, Anderson, Wentz, Muller, etc.

Because of that, I don't see the real future rotation being that close, likely 1.5 to 2 years away. Because of that I think "trying to compete" next year is premature and likely will force some missed opportunities because the team will hang on to some trade chips in the name of competing in 2017 instead of trading them for value.
    Hard to believe you include Jenkins with that group. He is merely a guy who has progressed in a steady but unspectacular manner. He was the organization's pitcher of the year last year, he has been Gwinnett's top winner despite a month in the big leagues, and he stepped up with a lock-down performance before 9,500 people in Charlotte to put Gwinnett in the playoffs in a winner-take-all game.

That he had his confidence shaken for a short time in the big leagues hardly makes him unusual. What he is, is perhaps the best athlete in the bunch who will grow into a major league pitcher.

I do wonder if it will be with the Braves. He seems like he would be an attractive trade chip this winter.

I assume your "etc." is Weigel, Sims, Sanchez?
    Last edited by rico43; 09-11-2016 at 06:21 PM.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    I think Fried will move up quick. His thing is just being healthy. He was a top 10 pick for a reason.
    I believe holding Fried back at Rome all year was a tremendous decision. His 11-K, 1-BB effort the other night in the semifinal clincher was a totally dominant performance limited only by his pitch count.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    We better have a really strong bullpen when a lot of these guys arrive. With as many as they strikeout their pitch counts will rise quickly.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,152 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Hard to believe you include Jenkins with that group. He is merely a guy who has progressed in a steady but unspectacular manner. He was the organization's pitcher of the year last year, he has been Gwinnett's top winner despite a month in the big leagues, and he stepped up with a lock-down performance before 9,500 people in Charlotte to put Gwinnett in the playoffs in a winner-take-all game.

That he had his confidence shaken for a short time in the big leagues hardly makes him unusual. What he is, is perhaps the best athlete in the bunch who will grow into a major league pitcher.

I do wonder if it will be with the Braves. He seems like he would be an attractive trade chip this winter.

He gives up a lot of hits and doesn't strike many guys out. I think he's a reliever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by depley View Post
    I agree. I think Allard and Fried are the best in the minors personally.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post

So far, at the ML level he walks more than he K's. I haven't looked but I seriously doubt there are very many pitchers in the ML who do that whether they are starter or reliever. If call that an aberration and point to his minor league numbers, he still doesn't K many and again, I don't know that there are many ML pitchers who have a K/BB ratio that bad.

To me, he needs a strike out pitch to be successful.
    Last edited by Horsehide Harry; 09-11-2016 at 10:07 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I'd rank the minor league pitchers in this order.

Allard
    Soroka
    Fried
    Newcomb
    Weigel

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,263 Posts
    I'm just glad we finally got rid of Fredi

everything else is just gravy

:)
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I think jt, folty and wisler will be good. Think we will sign a vet. We have a million options for a 5 guy.

I think the pen could be very good. Need health but viz, Simmons, winkler, minter, Cabrera are some power arms.

I hope we will have a major upgrade in defense by at least having Swanson over aybar and anyone over ajp. Maybe big upgrades on d at third and lf. Albies would upgradev2b.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,764 Posts
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,999 Posts
    I'm really high on Folty. I really like Wisler and I think his ceiling could be higher than a lot of people think, but he has to really work at it and harness his stuff. Folty just had the stuff and needs to stop being mental.