Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Notes from today's AskCoppy event

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts

Notes from today's AskCoppy event

As usual, a pretty enlightening Twitter session from Coppy this afternoon. Here's what I took from it . . .

- He said we'll have more money to spend coming into the offseason than at any time in the past 10 years. Since our budget seemed to top out around $110m several years ago, I'm assuming this means that we can go up to at least $120m if needed.
    - When asked about needs he mentioned two SPs and a catcher. When asked about whether bringing in veteran SPs would block opportunities for young guys, he basically said the days of them planning around opportunities for young guys are over. Spots need to be earned.
    - He mostly evaded the question about whether Adonis would be given a shot as a starter at 3B. Seems like they're keeping their options open.
    - Mentioned that he regretted talking about Kemp's poor conditioning publicly.
    - In a bullpen related question, he mentioned Jose Ramirez as someone who factors into 2017. Sounds like he will survive the 40-man bloodletting. In a separate question, he said the bullpen is their least area of concern in 2017 planning.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dak For This Useful Post:

BornaBrave (09-14-2016), JohnAdcox (09-14-2016), Knucksie (09-13-2016)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    they are going for it

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-14-2016), The Chosen One (09-13-2016)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    The BP shouldn't be a big concern.. I do wonder if they will try to resign JJ though. He has been really good this year and could really stabilize the pen with veteran presence. Plus he could be flipped if he repeats his performance.

also saw where he said the HO trade still haunts him today.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-14-2016)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    The BP shouldn't be a big concern.. I do wonder if they will try to resign JJ though. He has been really good this year and could really stabilize the pen with veteran presence. Plus he could be flipped if he repeats his performance.

also saw where he said the HO trade still haunts him today.
    I felt the baseball side of the trade was bad but the off the field actions made it horrendous. That being said I think Coppy did a pretty good job of making the best of what he had with the Kemp trade.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-14-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    I think "more money to spend coming into the offseason than at any time in the past 10 years" means they have more room to add salary, not that the cap is higher than ever before.

I just hope all this free money doesn't lead to a horridly overpriced deal for someone like Wieters.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I think "more money to spend coming into the offseason than at any time in the past 10 years" means they have more room to add salary, not that the cap is higher than ever before.

I just hope all this free money doesn't lead to a horridly overpriced deal for someone like Wieters.
    Well we are going back to Braves Way so probably means Prado and McCann.
    Forever Fredi

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Too bad the FA class this upcoming November is HOT GARBAGE. I'd be happy with Prado, McCann, and I think we sign Jake Peavy as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Yeah, that's a good point. I assume they'll try to keep the budget pretty secretive for leverage purposes with FAs and rival teams, so I guess we won't know for sure until all is said and done.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    It's funny people want Prado and hate Markakis.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to TheBravos For This Useful Post:

clvclv (09-14-2016)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    It's funny people want Prado and hate Markakis.
    Markakis: 98 WRC+ and 1.1 WAR
    Prado: 110 WRC+ and 3.1 WAR

Pretty clear differnece in talent level right now

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (09-14-2016), JohnAdcox (09-14-2016)

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Millwood1Hitter View Post
    Too bad the FA class this upcoming November is HOT GARBAGE. I'd be happy with Prado, McCann, and I think we sign Jake Peavy as well.
    **** Jake Peavy. He didn't want to be here when we could have used him, he can finish up his career in ****ing Milwaukee or Cleveland.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

Garmel (09-13-2016), JohnAdcox (09-14-2016), Julio3000 (09-13-2016), Tapate50 (09-14-2016)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Didn't see it mentioned here but he said he is interested in bringing back former players but couldn't say names due to tampering. He also said at least two pitchers, one being a veteran. I got the distinct feeling one of the pitchers would be a "big aquisition"

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Those numbers will decline most likely. Don't get me wrong...I love Prado. I just don't think he will be a major improvement for the price than what we have in Garcia and Rio coming up...unless the price is right and it won't be. I will say this...it is rare that Nick lets a RBI chance pass him by (he leads the team), and is on pace for about 13-15 HRs which isn't horrible. I know you WAR guys could care less about RBIs and such. Markakis and Prado are both clutch, professional players. They are alike in many ways to me. You could argue Prado is much better than Kemp according to WAR, etc....it's laughable.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Those numbers will decline most likely. Don't get me wrong...I love Prado. I just don't think he will be a major improvement for the price than what we have in Garcia and Rio coming up...unless the price is right and it won't be. I will say this...it is rare that Nick lets a RBI chance pass him by (he leads the team), and is on pace for about 13-15 HRs which isn't horrible. I know you WAR guys could care less about RBIs and such. Markakis and Prado are both clutch, professional players. They are alike in many ways to me. You could argue Prado is much better than Kemp according to WAR, etc....it's laughable.
    You are right that his price is the big key but he is and has been the better player the last few years. I see no reason for that to change in 2017.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Are you claiming Kemp is a more valuable player than Prado?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    - I think we have more than 120 million payroll cap for next year. I think it will be 140-160 million but I dont see how they can manage that because the cap would probably drop down to 120 million with the attendance drop from year 2 of the stadium. That would take a lot of rental players or one year contracts.

- I like his comments about SP. Injuries and under performance will give the prospects plenty of chances.

- I think Ruiz is their man for 2017 but I understand why he wouldnt want to make any kind of statement that might discourage a player.

- Airing the teams dirty laundry in the media is always a bad idea

- We have so many legitimate options for the pen in 2017 that there has to be a trade. Several of the SP prospects are more likely to see success in the pen like Mader and Ellis. Ramirez is one that I think will be traded. I still think we trade for Greinke and the DBacks pen is horrific. Unloading Greinke's salary to rebuild the pen would make the Greinke signing a net positive for them. The risk was always the back end of the contract. Also wouldnt be surprised if we go after Randall Delgado, Wellington Castillo, and Brandon Drury as part of that deal.

- I think they outsmarted themselves with the Olivera trade. I dont recall a big demand for Olivera and the Dodgers didnt have a place for him to play in the majors. If we waited I think we would could have got him in the offseason for a lot less.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    The thought of Greinke as a possible trade target has also crossed my mind. 6 years remaining on the contract makes me less interested. Very different risk profile from Kemp with three years remaining.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    This is where the offseason posturing starts. What I got out of it is we're going to trade some young pen arms for veteran SP and sign some relievers in FA.

Jose Ramirez was mentioned by Hart as well. He's likely gone along with Johan Camargo since JS mentioned him last week.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Are you claiming Kemp is a more valuable player than Prado?
    Of course he is?? Our offense is completely different since he has arrived. I was really surprised at how much of a difference he has made, but numbers don't lie and proves WAR isn't always the best indicator. He might cost us a run on D every couple of weeks, but he consistently drives in a run most nights. He also gives guys like Freddie protection and he is killing it. Although Prado has a higher average, he has less RBI's and HR's than Markakis who is dogged relentlessly for his lack of power. Prado will sign for the same money OR more. Prado has great D and is a clutch professional player, but offensively his numbers are about the same as Gacia's and now that he is playing better defense...it's really only a marginal improvement for a lot more money.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    A noodle arm right fielder with no range hurts a team more than you think.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-14-2016)