Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Dansby Swanson Already Proving He Belongs

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Regardless of any debate about his rookie eligibility, I think the important thing to focus on is how good Dansby has been since coming up. He has proven that he belongs, and then some. He's really exceeded my expectations for 2016.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (10-01-2016)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    I doubt he's worried about it. if he is, he can talk to the team about it. i couldn't care less whether he wants to or not; it doesn't say anything about him.
    if he doesn't care, I don't care.. I just don't see how he wouldn't care.. especially since it is so close.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Regardless of any debate about his rookie eligibility, I think the important thing to focus on is how good Dansby has been since coming up. He has proven that he belongs, and then some. He's really exceeded my expectations for 2016.
    I didn't think he was ready. I didn't like the call up, but I am not upset about it. It happened, he has shown me more than I could have ever imagined.. I am certain the FO is going to offer him a 'Simmons' deal sometime before end of next season and all this banter about service time will be for not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    He's just a miserable, insecure dude.
    Dude can tear it up at the MMA gym on fight night though.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (10-01-2016), yeezus (09-30-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Know who makes fun of fighters? Skinny bean poles that can't fight.

71913424.jpg71911165.jpg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

71913424.jpg71911165.jpg
    HAHAHAHAHAHA

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts

71913424.jpg71911165.jpg
    Oh man... This really hurts, let me tell you.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    For monetary reasons? Sure I guess you can say that winning ROY means he might get more later in arbitration but I doubt it's that big of a deal and seems very cheap. Why wouldn't a team want one of their players to win ROY?
    Costs more money...yeah.

I'm not sure why they'd make a lot of effort to try and give him the chance at the award next year.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    So the team is concerned about Swanson's cost going up a few hundred grand by winning ROY, but is unconcerned with the cost of his age 29 season going up by $10M+ or losing him entirely for that season? Seems a little like conflicting views to me.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    So the team is concerned about Swanson's cost going up a few hundred grand by winning ROY, but is unconcerned with the cost of his age 29 season going up by $10M+ or losing him entirely for that season? Seems a little like conflicting views to me.
    Part of Swanson's value is marketing. At least part of the reasoning behind dismissing his age 29 season on the part of the FO HAS to be marketing. ROY, or at least the chase for ROY is about marketing. ROY is mostly a beauty pageant award anyway awarded on the basis of the "eye" test and what the voters hear and see (also marketing).

To not protect Swanson's ROY chances would be a missed opportunity by the FO to add to fan excitement next year, on the basis of less than 10 AB. It wouldn't make ANY sense.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    Part of Swanson's value is marketing. At least part of the reasoning behind dismissing his age 29 season on the part of the FO HAS to be marketing. ROY, or at least the chase for ROY is about marketing. ROY is mostly a beauty pageant award anyway awarded on the basis of the "eye" test and what the voters hear and see (also marketing).

To not protect Swanson's ROY chances would be a missed opportunity by the FO to add to fan excitement next year, on the basis of less than 10 AB. It wouldn't make ANY sense.
    Agreed. If they don't maximize the potential marketing return for calling Swanson up early they will have screwed the pooch twice when it comes to maximizing his total value to the organization.

While it may not make much of a difference when all is said and done, it's this continual systemic process of doing things sub-optimally (from lineup construction, to service time management, to marketing strategies) that is most distressing.

Each sub-optimal move means very little, but 20 sub-optimal moves added together does make a difference.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Agreed. If they don't maximize the potential marketing return for calling Swanson up early they will have screwed the pooch twice when it comes to maximizing his total value to the organization.

While it may not make much of a difference when all is said and done, it's this continual systemic process of doing things sub-optimally (from lineup construction, to service time management, to marketing strategies) that is most distressing.

Each sub-optimal move means very little, but 20 sub-optimal moves added together does make a difference.
    Agree. To me it's like watching your sharpshooter nail the bulls eye, do it again, then hit the lane marker, hit the control tower, hit the bulls eye, shoot at the person to the left, hit the bulls eye....

You have to wonder at least when one of those misses might prove fatal.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts

If this is how you approach being a fan, it's going to be a constantly miserable existence. No one makes all moves by the book, so you're just going to keep getting ticked over 'sub-optimal' moves.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

mfree80 (10-01-2016), yeezus (10-03-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts

I really disagree with this. This won't make a lick of difference. It's go see young star with floppy hair, not lets chronicle the ROY chase.

Wasting year of control and then managing ab for ROY would be really odd.

Calling him up now was not the max marketing ploy, IMO. Holding him for next season would led have done that. Come see the new. They really let him break in with obsvurity and minimized their bump.

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I really disagree with this. This won't make a lick of difference. It's go see young star with floppy hair, not lets chronicle the ROY chase.

Calling him up now was not the max marketing ploy, IMO. Holding him for next season would led have done that. Come see the new. They really let him break in with obsvurity and minimized their bump.
    I see your point, but if he loses eligibility by 1 AB, it's gonna be silly.
    Last edited by Managuarantano's Volunteers; 09-30-2016 at 08:54 PM.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post

I have said many times that bringing him up in 2016 was the wrong move, for a number of reasons. But, since they have, the ROY possibility is still possible based upon having him forego something less than 10 AB's to end this season. To not do that is just being short sighted. The Braves may NEED that little ROY chase next year. For example, let's say they spend the offseason trying to sell tickets to the new, improved, competitive Braves for the new park in 2017 and then they go 10-14 the first month (my current prediction based on what I think they will do) and 10-14 the second month. After two months, they could be 15 games out.

BUT, if Dansby is hitting .320, playing great defense and outshining his competitors (several of his most likely competitors already have too many AB - Tre Turner, Dahl, Contreras, Urias, etc.) His biggest comp would probably be a pitcher like Giolito or Reyes.

The Braves MAY come out on fire, lead wire to wire, and win the WS. But even if you knew that was going to happen, you don't lose an opportunity like that for less than 10 AB.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    If Swanson is good enough next year to win ROY, I honestly doubt the extra revenue brought in from the award chase would outweigh the extra money he'd earn in arbitration for it. Both are going to be negligible figures at the end of the day. I'll just be happy if he continues to be good enough for it to matter.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    I have said many times that bringing him up in 2016 was the wrong move, for a number of reasons. But, since they have, the ROY possibility is still possible based upon having him forego something less than 10 AB's to end this season. To not do that is just being short sighted. The Braves may NEED that little ROY chase next year. For example, let's say they spend the offseason trying to sell tickets to the new, improved, competitive Braves for the new park in 2017 and then they go 10-14 the first month (my current prediction based on what I think they will do) and 10-14 the second month. After two months, they could be 15 games out.

BUT, if Dansby is hitting .320, playing great defense and outshining his competitors (several of his most likely competitors already have too many AB - Tre Turner, Dahl, Contreras, Urias, etc.) His biggest comp would probably be a pitcher like Giolito or Reyes.

The Braves MAY come out on fire, lead wire to wire, and win the WS. But even if you knew that was going to happen, you don't lose an opportunity like that for less than 10 AB.
    I just don't see him being in the ROY race selling tickets.

If he was challenging dimaggio's record yeah, but ROY isn't very important or followable.

This is something people only vaguely care about IMO.

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    When I went through training...no not MMA...but real training....those who talk a lot are prone not walking a lot when their backs are on the mat.

This is what I think of him. All talk, no walk. They hype themselves on a board but when you meet them in person, they piss down their pants.

I was into it with a Iowa fan and he challenged me, thinking I was some dweeb, but found out a 6'1 235 chiseled black man and he bought me dinner and drinks and put me up for a hotel for the night. All he asked was, don't tell anyone that I was scared. I honored his request and nothing came of it. People asked and we did not comment, just laugh to ourselves and friends today.

He was a fan defending his team and I living in Iowa hated their obnoxious fan so I gave it to them every time I could until I was banned.

So he can blabber all he wants about training and how big he is, but I bet the field that five here can take him easily. I know two off my head could.