Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Dansby Swanson Already Proving He Belongs

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Mac's a great example of what should happen with Swanson. Buy out a few FA years and let him get his big contract elsewhere. We got the best years of Mac and the Yankees essentially paid for it.
    Mac and almost all young impact players typically sign away FA years so they can still hit the market at age 30, so Swanson might extend through his age 29 season (1 FA year).

And what will be the cost for that age 29 season? Likely 2x the cost it would have been if he were controlled through arbitration.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    Arizona was in much better shape to contend after 2015 than the Braves will be after 2016. They went out and signed a legitimate ace on the FA market and mortgaged their future in trade for Miller. Where are they now?

I was around for that worst to first team and this team isn't THAT team. And THAT team was extremely lucky in a lot of ways. Do you really think the Braves will sign a reclamation project who will go on to win the NL MVP this offseason?

It's two different teams, two different eras, two different situations. THAT team was at the end of a FIVE year rebuild. This team is just finishing it's 2nd.
    Never say never

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I agree with this wholeheartedly, but I find the retrospective head shaking funny. It's a message board where we debate baseball. Who cares if ensheff gloats a bit when Kemp messes up in the field or when the posibraves post "but he's not ready". Its just good-natured ribbing.
    I don't, personally. I'd just like some variety/originality—or at least a cursory google-image search:

"For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (09-20-2016), clvclv (09-20-2016), Coach_Chris (09-20-2016), Managuarantano's Volunteers (09-20-2016)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Mac and almost all young impact players typically sign away FA years so they can still hit the market at age 30, so Swanson might extend through his age 29 season (1 FA year).

And what will be the cost for that age 29 season? Likely 2x the cost it would have been if he were controlled through arbitration.
    Those are possible outcomes. So it signing him into his early 30's.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Culpability for prolonging the debate hardly lies with one camp and one camp alone.
    True. Which is why I didn't point any fingers.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,790 Posts
    Regardless of when we sign him, it will be more expensive than had we waited.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Regardless of when we sign him, it will be more expensive than had we waited.
    You are right. But as was pointed out earlier do you really think the Braves go with an internal guy to start 2017 at short? Or do you think a 1 year stop gap is signed? How much would said stop gap cost? Do you think having Albies and Swanson hit FA at the same time is a good move? Or would you want to delay Albies until a month into 2018 assuming service time issues don't change? I doubt the extra 10 million or whatever it would be in that season is really going to be that big of a deal.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Even if that happens his age 29 season will be much more expensive than it should have been. I have a hard time envisioning how they are going to make that money up with Swanson this season, or how they are going to afford to bring an equal player at the same price when he leaves.

The point is they managed his value sub-optimally. It is a fact that no amount of homerism or hypotheticals are going to change.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    You are right. But as was pointed out earlier do you really think the Braves go with an internal guy to start 2017 at short? Or do you think a 1 year stop gap is signed? How much would said stop gap cost? Do you think having Albies and Swanson hit FA at the same time is a good move? Or would you want to delay Albies until a month into 2018 assuming service time issues don't change? I doubt the extra 10 million or whatever it would be in that season is really going to be that big of a deal.
    That's if he signs away his age 29 season. Another hypothetical to defend a sub-optimal move.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    That's if he signs away his age 29 season. Another hypothetical to defend a sub-optimal move.
    I think the assumption that he's automatically gone after 6 years is the sub-optimal thought process.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    I think the assumption that he's automatically gone after 6 years is the sub-optimal thought process.
    Is it that hard for you to grasp that Swanson will either be gone for his age 29 season, or cost significantly more during his age 29 season? And that the only reason that is the case is because they decided they wanted ~200 MLB PAs for him during the lost 2016/2017 seasons?

How anyone can defend this is mind boggling.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Is it that hard for you to grasp that Swanson will either be gone for his age 29 season, or cost significantly more during his age 29 season? And that the only reason that is the case is because they decided they wanted ~200 MLB PAs for him during the lost 2016/2017 seasons?

I don't think it's a big deal. I doubt the Braves are going to be hard up for 10 million dollars in 2023 either. Because that money is going to be able to get a lot done 7 years from now.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

clvclv (09-20-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,740 Posts

Your never going to understand anything the Braves are doing if you are conceding 2017.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    I absolutely understand your point of view.

It baffles me that you can't see the logic on the other side.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

clvclv (09-20-2016)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    We'll pay Swanson when the time comes. After all isn't that the purpose of Suntrust Park to be able to keep a team together for a long stretch??

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Can we be on the level for a second?

Swanson is probably not going to be one of the best SS in the game and he almost certainly isn't going to be any kind of franchise player. So, arguing over his age 29 season control or talking about locking up his arbitration years is probably much ado about not a whole lot.

But I certainly am on the side of the argument that says there was no real reason to bring him up this year as he was scuffling in AA, has publicly been complaining about how "tired" he is, and the Braves suck this year and there is a decent chance they will suck next year. They could easily have saved the year of control and broken him in an low pressure environment next year.

He'd also have been a new thing to keep interest high in the first year of the stadium.

But lord have mercy does it matter this much?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    I think that Swanson will do what 95% of all MLB FAs do: go where the most money is offered. Are we really going to rehash the tired and worn out "home town discount" argument? How many home town discounts have the Braves gotten since the one time Andruw signed behind his agent's back? Mac left. Glavine left. Maddux left. Smoltz left. Heyward would have left when the Braves didn't offer him $185M. And on and on.

Even if the Braves somehow sign him to a contract that includes his age 29 season, they will almost certainly be paying more for that season than they will have paid if it was his last arb year.

So the best case scenario is the right to pay Swanson ~2x the amount for his age 29 season than they would have by manipulating his service clock? How exactly is that a point in favor of calling him up early? You are defending a decision where the absolute best case scenario costs the Braves an additional $10M+ for Swanson's age 29 season?
    There are the Teheran and Simmons contracts. I think perhaps that is more what is being referred to than a home town discount, but otherwise you are correct I think.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    All this debating has me confused. I was under the impression that under the current CBA, there is no difference in the number of years you control a player if he is on season opening roster than if you called him up August etc the prior year. Is that not true?

There was no way we were gonna keep Dansby down long enough to gain a year. However, with the injury, etc to Ozzie, maybe we can keep him in the minors until post June next year or whatever it takes to gain a year with him. Actually I doubt that happens either after Ozzie tears it up next Spring, etc.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyeman View Post
    All this debating has me confused. I was under the impression that under the current CBA, there is no difference in the number of years you control a player if he is on season opening roster than if you called him up August etc the prior year. Is that not true?

There was no way we were gonna keep Dansby down long enough to gain a year. However, with the injury, etc to Ozzie, maybe we can keep him in the minors until post June next year or whatever it takes to gain a year with him. Actually I doubt that happens either after Ozzie tears it up next Spring, etc.
    That is correct. Swanson would of needed to be kept down until mid April or so to gain an extra year.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

And that number will no doubt break the franchise and they'll have to fold.

Wait a second, does Kevin Maitan play SS? Or anyone else they might draft in the next 6 years?

Didn't someone mention something about moronic posts earlier???
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?