Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another Waaaaaaay Out Of The Box Thought

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

Another Waaaaaaay Out Of The Box Thought

Stayed up to watch that goofy Jets-Bills game last night so I'm a little loopy this morning, but an "interesting" (if absolutely nothing else) thought popped up. If the brass still isn't sold on Adonis, I wonder if our scouts like Mike Moustakas enough to trade Markakis for him straight-up?

With the emergence of Cheslor Cuthbert and with Hunter Dozier all but ready, I wonder if this wouldn't be an almost perfect swap for both teams?

The Royals would get the OF bat they need without seriously weakening either their MLB roster or their minor league system, and the Braves would get the 3B with pop they'd like to have while creating ABs for both Inciarte and Mallex.

If the Royals re-sign Morales, KC would then look like: 2B- Merrifield, CF- Cain, 1B- Hosmer, DH- Morales, RF- Markakis, C- Perez, LF- Gordon, 3B- Dozier, SS- Escobar

If the Braves do trade for Mac, Atlanta would then look like: RF- Inciarte, SS- Swanson, 1B- Freeman, LF- Kemp, 3B- Moustakas, C- Mac/Flowers, 2B- Peterson, SP, CF- Mallex

Sure it would make us a little LH-heavy early on in 2017, but Albies will fix that soon enough. It would also buy another full season of development for Ruiz in Gwinnett to see whether his power will further develop before we'd have to make a call on Moustakas. Adding Moustakas' and Mac's pop to the lineup should easily offset playing Ender and Mallex in the OF together.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-16-2016), mqt (09-16-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    I think Moose has way more value than just Markakis. We'd have to add a decent P prospect, I think.

Would we do Markakis and Arodys?

(I would).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to yeezus For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-16-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    I think Moose has way more value than just Markakis. We'd have to add a decent P prospect, I think.

Would we do Markakis and Arodys?

(I would).
    He definitely does have more value than Markakis. The issue for him (and the Royals in getting value for him in a trade) is that while I think the 2015 Moustakas is pretty close to the real Moustakas going forward, he hasn't played enough this year to prove that, and 2013-2014 still hang over his head.

I think it's a great idea to look into it. He's only under control through next year for a little over $8 million, but you could try to talk to him about an extension during the year if he and we want it. But even for the one year, I think it would be a good think to look into, at least to see if the Royals consider him part of their long-term plans.

I don't think it would take a whole lot more than Markakis, but it would take more. Markakis and a guy like Ellis, maybe? I wouldn't give up Vizcaino.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I don't think it would take a whole lot more than Markakis, but it would take more. Markakis and a guy like Ellis, maybe? I wouldn't give up Vizcaino.
    I don't even hesitate at either of those options. Oft-injured BP arm, or a SP prospect on our lower rungs. You get out of the likely the worst two years of the Markakis contract, solves your logjam in the OF, and get some upside at 3B. It's too perfect to ever happen.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Fun Fact: Both Kemp and Markakis (1.1 WAR a piece) have a higher WAR than Harper in the 2nd half. We need to capitalize on this opportunity.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

buck75 (09-16-2016)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Yeah, Neck has built some value in the second half, and I'd love to capitalize on it by moving him in the off-season. I'd jump at the chance to package him with Viz or a lower-tier SP.

As good as Viz was early this year, I still have concerns about his durability and viability going forward.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    I'd way rather have Dozier.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    I'd way rather have Dozier.
    I'm guessing so would the Royals.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yeezus For This Useful Post:

clvclv (09-16-2016), Julio3000 (09-16-2016)

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Fun Fact: Both Kemp and Markakis (1.1 WAR a piece) have a higher WAR than Harper in the 2nd half. We need to capitalize on this opportunity.
    Which WAR measure has Kemp as 1.1 in the 2nd half?
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Which WAR measure has Kemp as 1.1 in the 2nd half?
    http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.asp...ter=&players=0

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Chico (09-16-2016), Managuarantano's Volunteers (09-16-2016), yeezus (09-16-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    My favorite site!!
    Harper at 0.8 is hilarious.

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    I am not sure what people see in trading for Brian McCann. He is paid way to much for his production, Flowers is hitting way better than McCann (.272 vs .234), the problem with Flowers is the pitiful numbers for throwing out base stealers. I mean historically pitiful (like .036%), McCann is not a heck of a lot better in that department (.230%), and is only getting older.
    Unfortunately we traded away a better catcher when we traded Evan Gattis (.500 throwing out runners and 26 homers),.

I do not see any good reason to waste money or trade resources on Brian McCann. There has to be a better option out there.

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Dang, I'm extremely surprised about that.

Guess the (probably right on Kemp) haters are going to go to bWar.
    Last edited by Managuarantano's Volunteers; 09-16-2016 at 10:04 AM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by depley View Post
    I am not sure what people see in trading for Brian McCann. He is paid way to much for his production, Flowers is hitting way better than McCann (.272 vs .234), the problem with Flowers is the pitiful numbers for throwing out base stealers. I mean historically pitiful (like .036%), McCann is not a heck of a lot better in that department (.230%), and is only getting older.
    Unfortunately we traded away a better catcher when we traded Evan Gattis (.500 throwing out runners and 26 homers),.

I do not see any good reason to waste money or trade resources on Brian McCann. There has to be a better option out there.
    It would be a gamble, for sure. I like Flowers, but McCann has definitely been consistently better even over the last few years. They've been roughly equivalent this year, but it's the best year Flowers has ever had offensively.

Plus, you could easily platoon them, which I think could work out very well. You may not want to pay that much for a platoon catcher, but it's only for two more years. I think everyone knows it would technically be an overpay.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventura's Stolen Bases View Post

It's funny. For the top defensive players, like Simmons, I tend to like bWAR more because I believe Simmons is worth ~5 wins/year. But for bad defensive players who can hit, I tend to like fWAR more, because I do think Kemp has been a net positive for us.

Is it possible that being good defensively has more impact than being bad defensively, if that makes sense?

Or am I just dumb?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Lol... but Harper's season hasn't been disappointing at all, right giles? (standing by for all the reasons why it hasn't been disappointing)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventura's Stolen Bases View Post

Kemp has hit really really well since the break. And aside from one god awful month has hit well most of the year.

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    It's funny. For the top defensive players, like Simmons, I tend to like bWAR more because I believe Simmons is worth ~5 wins/year. But for bad defensive players who can hit, I tend to like fWAR more, because I do think Kemp has been a net positive for us.

Is it possible that being good defensively has more impact than being bad defensively, if that makes sense?

Or am I just dumb?
    I dunno, makes sense to me. I do like bWAR more for pitchers, anyway, even if I use fWAR more because their site is a bit easier to use.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    If Kemp is serious about losing weight, he could still have 3-4 very good years with less injury risk.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

buck75 (09-16-2016)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by depley View Post

Two years for Mac vs. three or more for a free-agent?

How can that not be far more preferable to those who hated (and still hate) the Markakis signing???
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?