Thread: Adonis Garcia

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts

Adonis Garcia

Just looking at some of his first half/second half splits, I'm actually fairly impressed with Garcia's splits offensively in the second half compared with the first half.

-He has increased his BB% from 3.8% to 5.2% and decreased his K% from 18.7 to 14.2%
    -His average was .249 first half, .296 second half
    -OBP/SLG are both very improved... .817 OPS second half compared with a .636 first half.
    -BABIP is up a little bit .320 from .292 but not an absurd amount... and he has been a .348 wOBA/116 wRC+ for the second half.

Those are very good numbers. And while its not a whole season, I'd say 250 at-bats is a pretty decent sample size for someone who is showing actual growth and progress with his approach (as evidenced by his improved K% and BB%). He has a better average with more limited at-bats versus lefties but much better power numbers vs. righties. Still nothing that screams platoon. Even with a poor first half, he's at a 0.9 fWAR on the year.

Couple that all with his improved defense, and I'm wondering he doesn't have some every day potential. And for whatever reason, batting 2nd is really working for him.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-23-2016)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    250 PA isn't a decent sample. It's an acceptable sample for somethings, but not everything. I think his overall season sample is a much more healthy sample to look at. When you look at it you see a below average hitter and below average defender. A position that we certainly need to address in the future. But all things considered and considering we'll likely not contend next year anyway. If we cannot get a player in on a bargain, we can use the money to improve our team elsewhere. Mainly in paying to ship Markakis or Kemp out of town while we can do so without basically dumping them like we did with Olivera.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    We shouldn't have to pay to have Markakis traded.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    We shouldn't have to pay to have Markakis traded.
    Theoretically no, but I know it was a stumbling point in our trade with Baltimore.

I think what we'll see happen though is a Mac for Kemp, prospect, and cash trade.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,705 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Theoretically no, but I know it was a stumbling point in our trade with Baltimore.

I think what we'll see happen though is a Mac for Kemp, prospect, and cash trade.
    Are you saying we'll give kemp, prospect, and cash for mac?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Are you saying we'll give kemp, prospect, and cash for mac?
    Yup, because Kemp is owed 63.5M over 3 years, Mac is owed 51M over 3 with a 15M vesting options (that we can probably renegotiate with him similar to some of the stuff we did with Smoltz) Mac has been much much better over the last 3 years, while Kemp has hit much better, he's a piss defender and plays an offensive first position, Mac is a very good defender and plays an offensive first position. Kemp had a 1.3 rWAR Mac a 5.7.

I'm not talking about a great prospect, but some level of prospect, probably like a Luke Dykstra.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    250 PA isn't a decent sample. It's an acceptable sample for somethings, but not everything. I think his overall season sample is a much more healthy sample to look at. When you look at it you see a below average hitter and below average defender. A position that we certainly need to address in the future. But all things considered and considering we'll likely not contend next year anyway. If we cannot get a player in on a bargain, we can use the money to improve our team elsewhere. Mainly in paying to ship Markakis or Kemp out of town while we can do so without basically dumping them like we did with Olivera.
    It's a decent sample when he has very limited MLB at bats and you see the ratio stats improving. There has been an obvious change in approach based on his trends. He hasn't been below average defensively lately

9. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-23-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    It's a decent sample when he has very limited MLB at bats and you see the ratio stats improving. There has been an obvious change in approach based on his trends. He hasn't been below average defensively lately
    I'm basing it on his larger sample. At 3B you don't get enough chances to look at micro samples Pretty much no one but SS does. So you look at reports and they aren't favorable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    I'm basing it on his larger sample. At 3B you don't get enough chances to look at micro samples Pretty much no one but SS does. So you look at reports and they aren't favorable.
    Well he doesn't have much of a larger sample...
    So the improvement in all areas over a whole half season is very encouraging.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-23-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    I think you give him a shot next year and don't sink money into anyone. Give Adonis a chance to continue to prove he can handle it, and hope that Ruiz or Riley or Demeritte take a good step forward.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to yeezus For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-23-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    I think you give him a shot next year and don't sink money into anyone. Give Adonis a chance to continue to prove he can handle it, and hope that Ruiz or Riley or Demeritte take a good step forward.
    Agreed... if he is a .800 OPS player with a .114 wRC+... he could build some nice trade value. Especially with the vastly improved defense.