Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it within realm to get Sale?

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

Is it within realm to get Sale?

The whitesox do have a problem with Sale's attitude, could we strike?

Mallex (they need a CF), Wisler, Cabreara, Ellis... seems like a combination of extreme talent (Mallex, Cabreara) and potential (Wisler, Ellis).

We could then sign Colon and have a staff of Sale, Teheran, Folty, Colon, Best of prospects.

Playing the Waiting Game blueagleace1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesguy View Post

Mallex (they need a CF), Wisler, Cabreara, Ellis... seems like a combination of extreme talent (Mallex, Cabreara) and potential (Wisler, Ellis).

We could then sign Colon and have a staff of Sale, Teheran, Folty, Colon, Best of prospects.
    Sorry, but your proposal isn't close to offering enough talent in return.
    "Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    It would take Albies in there I'm sure. With his contract he'll cost a ton. But in the NL he'd be an even bigger beast than he is now. I do see the Braves going after a front line starter this offseason.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,495 Posts

That wouldn't even come close to getting us Quintana.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Not even close. It would probably take something like Wisler, Newcomb, Toussaint, Riley and Acuna that's if you could possibly want to try to keep Albies if not it would be Wisler, Albies, Toussaint and Demeritte.

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Just asking there not a better chance to try to get Christian Yelich from the Marlins if they go in a rebuild this winter?

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay212033 View Post
    Not even close. It would probably take something like Wisler, Newcomb, Toussaint, Riley and Acuna that's if you could possibly want to try to keep Albies if not it would be Wisler, Albies, Toussaint and Demeritte.
    I'd rather pay less and get Quintana. Sale is only under control for three more years.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Rest assured, there will not be a Teixeira-level overspend, but if the Braves assume his entire contract, which they can, then the price will likely be much more reasonable than many think.
    However. ...
    One well-read South Side blog speculates that Sale could return Bregman, Reed, Martes and Whitley from the Astros. In another trade (the subject of the blog was blowing the team up, BTW), they projected Todd Frazier to the Mets for Addison Reed.

So let's deal with these for a moment.

No way I want the Mets to secure Frazier (a possibility that Wright's career is virtually over), so I would beat that offer with say, Cabrera and Jenkins.
    For Sale (whew!), there is a very tough match. They do not need OFs much, being happy with Eaton and Melky(!), but maybe we can give them a choice of Acuna or Mallex, Tyler Flowers (who they love in Chicago), Wisler and Shea Simmons. Maybe give them Hursh.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

Knucksie (09-26-2016)

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,263 Posts
    it always seems the people where that say "that talent would never get so and so"

9.5 times out of 10 is more than what the team usually gets for said player

just saying
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

11. The Following User Says Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

Knucksie (09-26-2016)

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    it always seems the people where that say "that talent would never get so and so"

just saying
    That was my thought. Mallex/Wisler would be top 10 prospects if they were still prospects. You don't get RP with 102 velocity every day.

My thought was as much what would I be willing to give up that is of of top value.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Realistically at least one of Albies and Swanson would have to be included in the package.

The possibilties that are close to fair value are:

1) Both Albies and Swanson

2) One of Albies/Swanson and two of Allard/Soroka/Acuna

3) One of Albies/Swanson one of Allard/Soroka/Acuna and two of Wisler/Smith/Riley/Toussaint/Anderson/Newcomb/Folty/Wentz
    Last edited by nsacpi; 09-26-2016 at 07:09 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    I do think at some point the Braves will try to trade for a starter of Sale's caliber. I don't think that point will be this off-season. And I think they will trade for one that will be less costly in terms of prospects. This means a less team-friendly contract. Could mean one with a higher AAV. Or one with fewer years left of contractual control.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (09-26-2016)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,495 Posts
    Sale is awesome, but he does scare me a little bit anyway. His velocity dropped by 1.5 mph this year, and his K-rate dropped by 2.7 per 9.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Sonny Gray is somebody I would really go after. He will more than likely bounce back and shouldn't cost an arm and a leg.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

bravesfanMatt (09-26-2016), rico43 (09-26-2016)

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post

just saying
    I think it's more like 9.5 times out of 10 the player isn't traded because no one wants to pay the asking price.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Rest assured, there will not be a Teixeira-level overspend, but if the Braves assume his entire contract, which they can, then the price will likely be much more reasonable than many think.
    However. ...
    One well-read South Side blog speculates that Sale could return Bregman, Reed, Martes and Whitley from the Astros. In another trade (the subject of the blog was blowing the team up, BTW), they projected Todd Frazier to the Mets for Addison Reed.

So let's deal with these for a moment.

No way I want the Mets to secure Frazier (a possibility that Wright's career is virtually over), so I would beat that offer with say, Cabrera and Jenkins.
    For Sale (whew!), there is a very tough match. They do not need OFs much, being happy with Eaton and Melky(!), but maybe we can give them a choice of Acuna or Mallex, Tyler Flowers (who they love in Chicago), Wisler and Shea Simmons. Maybe give them Hursh.
    How would Sale's contract lessen his value? His contract actually adds to his value; he's very cheap, relatively speaking.

And how is Mallex, Flowers, Wisler, Simmons, and Hursh in any way comparable to that Astros' package?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I do think at some point the Braves will try to trade for a starter of Sale's caliber. I don't think that point will be this off-season. And I think they will trade for one that will be less costly in terms of prospects. This means a less team-friendly contract. Could mean one with a higher AAV. Or one with fewer years left of contractual control.
    I hope the late-season success doesn't tempt the front office to prematurely acquire a top-line talent at a prohibitive price. I think we need to have another year to let our better prospects shake out. We have a ton of guys in the low minors that we don't know about yet and it would be best if we could trade from our best area of depth, which will likely be pitching, but I don't want to go back to when we were totally bereft of position prospects.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

nsacpi (09-26-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    That was my thought. Mallex/Wisler would be top 10 prospects if they were still prospects. You don't get RP with 102 velocity every day.

My thought was as much what would I be willing to give up that is of of top value.
    Top 10 prospects? What in the?

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Of course it's within the realm of possibility. It's already been discussed, and that's how a lot of other transactions are commenced - picking up from previous discussions. Not even going to speculate what names might be dangled, but Sale is ideal for the situation. He's all but burned his bridges with White Sox management, has a reasonable contract and is TOR capable.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Sonny Gray is somebody I would really go after. He will more than likely bounce back and shouldn't cost an arm and a leg.
    I have my doubts about Gray. I will be honest and chalk that up to my prejudice against sub-6-foot RHPs, but I think his injury problems this year portend a lot of missed time going forward. On the plus side, he'd be relatively cheap.