Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Offseason

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts

2018 Offseason

It is a couple of years away and some (maybe most) of the FA's to be will sign extensions by then but who would be your #1 priority? I would go with Machado. I think he is the perfect combination of offense and defense that could anchor the team for a decade. He would continue a line of great and HOF Braves 3B.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Of course Machado would be amazing. It's just that he's going to cost a TON and almost certainly will not leave Baltimore.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Of course Machado would be amazing. It's just that he's going to cost a TON and almost certainly will not leave Baltimore.
    I'd offer it to him if given the chance. I think he's as sure of a bet as there is in that class.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Machado is my choice, easily. Harper is incredible, but I don't trust his consistency as much as Machado - in other words, Harper has more talent and upside, but he's less consistent.

That lineup would be incredible, and this is just a complete guess:
    Inciarte CF
    Albies 2B
    Freeman 1B
    Machado 3B
    Swanson SS
    D. Pete LF
    Mac C? Even in 2018? I have no idea lol
    Pitcher
    M. Smith RF

That would be a damn good lineup.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    The Braves aren't going to have the money to do that because they will limit their patrol flexibility by tying it up with lesser talents over the next couple of years trying to reload.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Machado is my choice, easily. Harper is incredible, but I don't trust his consistency as much as Machado - in other words, Harper has more talent and upside, but he's less consistent.

That lineup would be incredible, and this is just a complete guess:
    Inciarte CF
    Albies 2B
    Freeman 1B
    Machado 3B
    Swanson SS
    D. Pete LF
    Mac C? Even in 2018? I have no idea lol
    Pitcher
    M. Smith RF

That would be a damn good lineup.
    Yes, it certainly would. I would change it up a tad, though. I'd go:

Albies
    Swanson
    Machado
    Freeman
    Kemp
    Catcher
    Inciarte
    Pitcher
    Mallex

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    The Braves aren't going to have the money to do that because they will limit their patrol flexibility by tying it up with lesser talents over the next couple of years trying to reload.
    Depends what the payroll will be. If it stays at 100 million like it has the last decade plus then Machado or any other top shelf FA will never come to Atlanta. If it goes to the 120 range that some have speculated (Ill believe it when I see it) then yes they will have the money to do it if they decide that's the direction they want to go in.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Machado is going to get a $300M+ contract. The Braves wont even be in the discussion for his services.

Set your sights one someone who will command at most a $100M contract and you might be on to something. Buying the decline years of Donaldson is much more realistic if the Braves still have a need at 3B by then.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Depends what the payroll will be. If it stays at 100 million like it has the last decade plus then Machado or any other top shelf FA will never come to Atlanta. If it goes to the 120 range that some have speculated (Ill believe it when I see it) then yes they will have the money to do it if they decide that's the direction they want to go in.
    I actually think it will go to $140M which is essentially the PV equivalent of what the budget was in 2003.

But, if they do what they've said they want to do, there likely won't be any flexibility in 2018.

Freeman: $21M
    Kemp: $18M
    Teheran: $8M
    *McCann: $17M
    Inciarte: ~$5M
    Swanson: ~$2.5M
    SP1: ~$14M
    SP2: ~$14M
    Pen: ~$15M
    Bench: ~$5M
    Raises for Young/minimum guys: ~7.5M

Total projected payroll: $127M (was closer to $140M until Markakis fell off due to end of contract, but his replacement not figured into above numbers)

Now, there are a lot of factors that could change the above: they don't trade for McCann or don't take on his money and/or the FA catcher they sign is not very good and doesn't cost much; the pitching they bring in this offseason is not 2 WAR equivalent so they don't cost $14M each or they are signed for terms shorter than three years (if they go this route, it takes the compete in 2017 to hope to get lucky to compete in 2017. The pen numbers are probably pretty close given salary inflation and may be understated. The bench numbers assumes a decent back up catcher ($2-$4M) and a bunch of filler - but it they go the bring a veteran or two in for their presence route it may be higher than stated.

The offseason starting in a couple of months will begin to show what the flexibility will be like in FA 2018/19. If they trade for McCann and take his money, if they don't trade Kemp, Markakis or Inciarte, if they sign or trade for a couple of 2 WAR pitchers who will still be around after 2018 and will cost $14M each or more by that time, then they won't have any money. That's what competing in 2017 means.

If you think the odds are good for the Braves in 2017 and 2018, then that's probably OK. If you think, like me, that true competition in 2017 is a pipe dream then you see it as tying your hands for the future when the odds are better in your favor.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    I think by 2018 the payroll will be in the $140-150M range.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Concerning future payroll. Mac is only signed through 2018 with a 2019 club option. So he could very well be off the books before Machado or anyone from that class is signed. Kemp is gone after 2019. So even in a scenario where you are paying Kemp in 2019 and Mac 15 million in 2019 there is no rule that you can't back load Machado's contract for 1 season. Freeman is the only significant contract that would currently be on the books well into a huge contract in that off season. If they desire to do something like that they would have the capability to do it if they keep any significant moves right now limited through the 2019 season.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    I actually think it will go to $140M which is essentially the PV equivalent of what the budget was in 2003.

But, if they do what they've said they want to do, there likely won't be any flexibility in 2018.

Total projected payroll: $127M (was closer to $140M until Markakis fell off due to end of contract, but his replacement not figured into above numbers)

Now, there are a lot of factors that could change the above: they don't trade for McCann or don't take on his money and/or the FA catcher they sign is not very good and doesn't cost much; the pitching they bring in this offseason is not 2 WAR equivalent so they don't cost $14M each or they are signed for terms shorter than three years (if they go this route, it takes the compete in 2017 to hope to get lucky to compete in 2017. The pen numbers are probably pretty close given salary inflation and may be understated. The bench numbers assumes a decent back up catcher ($2-$4M) and a bunch of filler - but it they go the bring a veteran or two in for their presence route it may be higher than stated.

The offseason starting in a couple of months will begin to show what the flexibility will be like in FA 2018/19. If they trade for McCann and take his money, if they don't trade Kemp, Markakis or Inciarte, if they sign or trade for a couple of 2 WAR pitchers who will still be around after 2018 and will cost $14M each or more by that time, then they won't have any money. That's what competing in 2017 means.

If you think the odds are good for the Braves in 2017 and 2018, then that's probably OK. If you think, like me, that true competition in 2017 is a pipe dream then you see it as tying your hands for the future when the odds are better in your favor.
    For one, I'm pretty sure we're above .500 over our last 90-100 games. So fielding a competitive team in 2017 is hardly a pipe dream.

But to address your payroll numbers, they're pretty flawed. For one, it's very unlikely we spend 15 million on the pen. Even in 2014 when our payroll was the highest it's ever been, we only spent about 14.25 million. Unless we trade back for Kimbrell, our BP will continue to be built by bargain players.

Secondly, it's also very unlikely we spend 28 million dollars on two pitchers. But even if we did, you fail to realize that based on what the FO is saying, whatever pitchers we may sign would likely be on short term deals (like 3 years or less), which would have a very minimal impact on signing future players. Also, ditto on wupk said about Mac and Kemp.
    Last edited by Carp; 09-28-2016 at 11:06 AM.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Concerning future payroll. Mac is only signed through 2018 with a 2019 club option. So he could very well be off the books before Machado or anyone from that class is signed. Kemp is gone after 2019. So even in a scenario where you are paying Kemp in 2019 and Mac 15 million in 2019 there is no rule that you can't back load Machado's contract for 1 season. Freeman is the only significant contract that would currently be on the books well into a huge contract in that off season. If they desire to do something like that they would have the capability to do it if they keep any significant moves right now limited through the 2019 season.
    I don't think McCann waives his no trade without getting 2019 guaranteed.

And you are right that if they limit their signings then it wouldn't be a problem. We'll see if they do that.

As for payroll, what I think Liberty will do is raise the payroll to ~$140M and spend the next year telling everyone how committed they are to putting a good product on the field as evidenced by their raising the payroll. They will fail to mention that $140M would be about equivalent to where it was in the early 2000's on a PV basis and that they have been funding the team less and less every year on a PV basis by keeping the payroll essentially static.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-28-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts

Are you talking about the offseason between 2018 and 2019? Assuming that's what you mean (since the discussion centers around Machado), Mac will only be making $15 in 2019 if his option vests or is picked up. Swanson will still be pre-arb and making significantly less than $2.5M in 2019. A pitcher like Shields will be off the books by 2019.

Further, I am in favor of selling high on Inciarte (using him to acquire a cost controlled option at 3B or SP) and going with Mallex in CF, so that would also bring that payroll total down for the 2019 season. I would be shocked if he only costs $5M in his 3rd trip through arb (estimate $20M over his 4 arb years).

Teheran should also be flipped that offseason, freeing up even more payroll.

Even after all that, the Braves won't be players on a guy like Machado. At best the Braves could be in on giving Donaldson something like 4/100 or 5/125 for his age 33-36/37 seasons.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 09-28-2016 at 11:19 AM.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    I don't think McCann waives his no trade without getting 2019 guaranteed.

And you are right that if they limit their signings then it wouldn't be a problem. We'll see if they do that.

As for payroll, what I think Liberty will do is raise the payroll to ~$140M and spend the next year telling everyone how committed they are to putting a good product on the field as evidenced by their raising the payroll. They will fail to mention that $140M would be about equivalent to where it was in the early 2000's on a PV basis and that they have been funding the team less and less every year on a PV basis by keeping the payroll essentially static.
    As I mentioned even guaranteeing that option in 2019 wouldn't be that big of a deal. As far as Liberty finally increasing the payroll to an acceptable level. I would love that. And you are right about it virtually being the same on a PV basis as our early 2000's payroll. I've always been annoyed about the talk of the payroll never going down. It's been at ~100 million for 15 years or so and 15 years ago that was amazing. As salaries have exploded it's become garbage. If they do increase it to the 140 million range the Braves will be able to accomplish a lot.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    For one, I'm pretty sure we're above .500 over our last 90-100 games. So fielding a competitive team in 2017 is hardly a pipe dream. They were above .500 for the first half of 2015 and finished with the third worst record in baseball. Freeman has had a career year and probably doesn't have much more to offer than he has this year, Markakis and Kemp are on the wrong side of 30 and more likely to decline than improve, Folty and Wisler aren't much improved and the other young pitchers have shown they aren't ready. Sometimes fool's gold looks just like gold, but it isn't.

But to address your payroll numbers, they're pretty flawed. For one, it's very unlikely we spend 15 million on the pen. Even in 2014 when our payroll was the highest it's ever been, we only spent about 14.25 million. Unless we trade back for Kimbrell, our BP will continue to be built by bargain players. I am accounting for ongoing inflation of relief pitching salaries. It's possible the Braves will go with a bunch of no name guys but even if you have 6 pitchers at an average of $2.5M apiece that's $15M.

Secondly, it's also very unlikely we spend 28 million dollars on two pitchers. But even if we did, you fail to realize that based on what the FO is saying, whatever pitchers we may sign would likely be on short term deals (like 3 years or less), which would have a very minimal impact on signing future players. Also, ditto on wupk said about Mac and Kemp.If they sign a guy this offseason to a three year deal, then he's on the books through the 2019 season. My response was based on an ability to play in the 2018/2019 FA market.
    If I had to predict the April record for next year right now I would say 10-14 and then the team would bump along at .500 for a while before eventually finishing somewhere in the 75-78 win range. I'm basing that on what I think they will do so it might change if they diverge from their previous comments.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Are you talking about the offseason between 2018 and 2019? Assuming that's what you mean (since the discussion centers around Machado), Mac will only be making $15 in 2019 if his option vests or is picked up. Swanson will still be pre-arb and making significantly less than $2.5M in 2019. A pitcher like Shields will be off the books by 2019.

Further, I am in favor of selling high on Inciarte (using him to acquire a cost controlled option at 3B or SP) and going with Mallex in CF, so that would also bring that payroll total down for the 2019 season. I would be shocked if he only costs $5M in his 3rd trip through arb (estimate $20M over his 4 arb years).

Teheran should also be flipped that offseason, freeing up even more payroll.

Even after all that, the Braves won't be players on a guy like Machado. At best the Braves could be in on giving Donaldson something like 4/100 or 5/125 for his age 33-36/37 seasons.
    Yes. I'm talking about 2018/19 FA. IF the Braves trade some salary without replacing that salary (Inciarte, Teheran) then it might be workable. If Swanson is super two then he would be in arbitration, right?

I don't agree that the Braves will never pay a superstar. They've done it in the past. They aren't Tampa or Oakland or even Pittsburgh. I do think the closer they get to a new local media contract the better the odds.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Yes. I'm talking about 2018/19 FA. IF the Braves trade some salary without replacing that salary (Inciarte, Teheran) then it might be workable. If Swanson is super two then he would be in arbitration, right?

I don't agree that the Braves will never pay a superstar. They've done it in the past. They aren't Tampa or Oakland or even Pittsburgh. I do think the closer they get to a new local media contract the better the odds.
    Swanson won't be a super 2. Under current guidelines he would of needed to be called up sometime between mid April and the middle of next year to get super 2 status. And then that would mean he would be getting it in 2020.To get arby in 2019 he would of needed to be called up sometime before mid season this year.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    In regard to the bullpen, it's hard to see us rolling with a pen that has an average salary of $2.5 million. At a minimum, I would think we'll have Minter, Cabrera, and Simmons, and then you have guys like Gant, Povse, Morris, Weber, etc. It's really hard to see us having an average salary of anywhere close to $2.5 million for the bullpen.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    In regard to the bullpen, it's hard to see us rolling with a pen that has an average salary of $2.5 million. At a minimum, I would think we'll have Minter, Cabrera, and Simmons, and then you have guys like Gant, Povse, Morris, Weber, etc. It's really hard to see us having an average salary of anywhere close to $2.5 million for the bullpen.
    I think it depends on closer. If they sign a recognized closer, which would mean Cabrera or someone younger isn't it, that one player could be close to $10M per year. Even IF it's Viz in 2018, and he is closer between now and then and effective, it probably means he's making in the $5M range. A $10M close means the other 5 average $1M apiece or if a $5M closer then $2M apiece. O'Flaherty got 2 years $7M for Oakland for 14&15. He then turned around coming off a horrible season to get $1.75M from Pitt.

Just using today's in house guys: I think you could easily see Viz at $5M, Withrow and Krol at $2.5 each, Cabrera and Ramirez at $1M = $12M with one more spot to fill. Even if that is a guy like Minter making minimum, that's a $12.5M pen just for the six primary.